PDA

View Full Version : Learning spanish...

ZGXtreme
10-09-07, 19:51
Well, I have decided that it is time to try and become as fluent as possible with espanol.

Was looking at trying Rosetta Stone but wanted to get some input first. Anyone here that is bilingual have any tips of where/how to learn the language in the most efficient manner?

The one thing I am worried about is not learning the proper "dialect," guys at work (L.E.) have mentioned how the spanish spoken here on the "street" is different from what is typically taught. Just want to be a 100% sure I am learning what I can use at work.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. Any opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

rayray
10-09-07, 20:18
The Rosetta Stone will teach You spanish, but not the spanish that is used on the streets. Rosetta stone is a good tool, and will give you a headstart to learning the language. Maybe Your department might have a training officer to help you along the way.

Bat Guano
10-09-07, 21:31
Took Spanish in high school, got lousy grades. Took a year of it in college, ditto.

Crammed it in INS basic and then worked alongside a dinosaur who taught me the real language. So after flunking the scholastic approach I got very fluent in what I needed to get the job done, year after year after year. Needless to say the phrases were not quite the same. However it worked. Sometimes I still dream in Spanish so I guess it stuck.

There used to be a Border Patrol Spanish book which was pretty darned good. Might still be some around if you Google for it.

And of course the old solution was to get a Hispanic girl friend. That may not be an option for everyone...

HolyRoller
10-09-07, 21:44
You could see if your friendly local community college teaches Spanish. That's what I'm doing. It's under $200 a semester plus a $150 book and you get real college credits. We have quite a few Hispanics in our little county and they're great folks other than driving drunk. I need to know more Espanol than "buenas noches, senor, no licencia?" and "cinco cervezas?"

KWACKERB279
10-09-07, 21:45
I plan on stickin with good old Americano, they can't understand what I'm sayin, well they can take a walk. I think my stance on this topic is quit clear, but good luck with bilingual thing.

M240B
10-11-07, 12:44
Sounds like you need a "Long Hair Dictionary"

TigerStripe
10-11-07, 13:16
Rosetta Stone sounds nice and probably would help you with pronunciation. The only way to learn a language without being born where it is spoken or being in that environment for a long time. The best way to learn is the old fashioned way, learning vocabulary. Use flash cards. This book (http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Enforcement-Personnel-Wiliam-Harvey/dp/0812093674) is for cops, L.E. vocabulary. Also find a beginners level grammar book. The statements above about finding a latina while funny, that would really help. I hope this helps.

TS

"Household Spanish" is a good beginners vocab book, it is as its name implies, about household items and such...

nationwide
10-11-07, 13:39
Understand that many, but of course, not all Mexicans that come the US are functionally illiterate.

Consider native born US citizens. Some are very articulate, many are not.

Expect the same when dealing with Spanish speakers. Just because you habla, doesn't mean they do...

I have been counsuled by a friend who recently attended the Army Language School that Rosetta Stone is an excellent learning tool, but it should not be used as the primary one.

ZGXtreme
10-11-07, 17:43
Understand that many, but of course, not all Mexicans that come the US are functionally illiterate.

Consider native born US citizens. Some are very articulate, many are not.

Expect the same when dealing with Spanish speakers. Just because you habla, doesn't mean they do...

Understandable, that is what I believe fellow officers meant by "learning spanish but not being able to use it" since they met subjects who did not comprehend what the officer told or asked them. These officers were ones who studied spanish in high school and/or college and not software or training programs.

I have been counsuled by a friend who recently attended the Army Language School that Rosetta Stone is an excellent learning tool, but it should not be used as the primary one.

That was my plan, hopefully get a good and comfortable grasp on the language and in turn hopefully absorb the information that is presented in "Spanish for L.E." classes a little better. Just mesh it all into a package that helps me on the streets.

I plan on stickin with good old Americano, they can't understand what I'm sayin, well they can take a walk. I think my stance on this topic is quit clear, but good luck with bilingual thing.

This has been my postition since just recently. In all honesty, I want the capability to be fluent, but not nessecessarily use it. If I can just show up on a call and listen to them talk without them knowing that I can understand them... thats what I want to exploit lol.

Madsmiley
10-11-07, 19:38
I picked these up from Amazon.com

Rosetta was a little to pricey for me..

1 of: Easy Spanish Phrase Book: Over 770 Basic Phrases for Everyday Use (Dover Easy Phrase)
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

1 of: Spanish for Gringos with Compact Discs

1 of: Spanish For Gringos Level Two

LukeMacGillie
10-11-07, 19:49
Re-enlist for DLI.

I got sent TDY from Panama to the Puerto Rico National Guard Language School to learn Spanish. There used to be alot of USASFC funded slots that 20th Group couldnt fill. I later Reenlisted for Brasilian Portugese at DLI West.

And I had numerous long haired dictionarys. Ended up marrying a Colombiana that speaks English better than I do.:D

Patrick Aherne
10-11-07, 21:17
Guys at work have had good luck with classes, computer programs and wathcing the Spanish TV stations instead of regular TV.

Ned Christiansen
10-12-07, 08:32
The Pimsleur tapes from Simon & Shuster work. It's the only language program I've seen that is formatted in a way the human brain can actually make use of.... I don't think any of them will give you street Spanish but if you can get the nuts and bolts of it through Pimsleur, you'll have a good base for maybe a future street Spanish class for cops.

The Latina idea is good and I can tell you it works. Educated or not doesn't really matter;)

TacDoc
10-12-07, 09:42
Well, I have decided that it is time to try and become as fluent as possible with espanol.

Was looking at trying Rosetta Stone but wanted to get some input first. Anyone here that is bilingual have any tips of where/how to learn the language in the most efficient manner?

The one thing I am worried about is not learning the proper "dialect," guys at work (L.E.) have mentioned how the spanish spoken here on the "street" is different from what is typically taught. Just want to be a 100% sure I am learning what I can use at work.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. Any opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Hey ZGXtreme,

My first language is Spanish. Getting a course or class is the best way to build the framework/skeleton of the language. First try to learn the basic words and verbs and its definitions, then learn how to conjugate verbs.

Spanish is not so hard to learn, but for some reason I dont understand is easier for spanish speaking people to learn english than viceversa. If I can recall correcly, both english and spanish have the same language roots.

Your peers are right about the proper slang used in the streets (mexican dialects are by far the worst to understand, I can hardly understand them). If you have any doubt, feel free to IM or email me. I'll see what I can do...

BTW, hablar espaņol es considerado "sexy" ands chicks really dig it. Try to get a hot latina as a teacher in order to speed up your learning abilities :D

white spaniard
10-12-07, 09:55
If your a beginner here is a link that will help. http://www.spanishspanish.com/
If you have itunes you can get notes from spain podcast it teaches real castillian spanish, http://www.notesinspanish.com/index.php?nfsf

Alpha Sierra
10-12-07, 18:59
(mexican dialects are by far the worst to understand, I can hardly understand them). If you have any doubt, feel free to IM or email me. I'll see what I can do...

+1 from another Boricua here. Mexican illegals are probably some of the most illiterate people in the Americas. It hurts my ears to listen to them.

I am also available privately if you have any questions about slang, grammar, conjugation, spelling, or sentence composition.

A su servicio.

ZGXtreme
10-13-07, 21:52
Just wanted to say thanks to those who replied in an effort to help me out. Luckily my thought process was echoed by many who posted.

Think I am going to go with the Rosetta Stone route to get a handle on the language then move on to the inservice "Spanish for L.E." classes to more round out my understanding and usage of the language.

For those who offered extended help thank you and I may have to take ya up on it.

fast97rs
10-15-07, 04:21
There are alot of different dialects out there. Try to find a slower "clean" speaking form (stay away from central/S. America). I find the OLDER cuban community and many Spaniards speak this way. As class levels change, so do the dialects. :shrug:

Find a spanish speaking buddy and have him teach you conversational Spanish. Then watch Spanish TV and DVD's with the subtitals on in English... such as Pan's Labrynth.

Only way to do it is to force yourself to learn. I'm learning Greek that way! LOL