PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable/concealable spare mag carrier?

DeusExMachina
05-18-11, 23:17
I've been trying a few mag carriers to find what's comfortable. Dang thing is harder to hide than my G19.

I have a Safariland leather one, which works but the snap opens up when I move a certain way.

I tried a Galco HMC (horizontal) and besides ordering the wrong one for my gun, it wouldn't work for me either.

Any recommendations?

snake eater 332
05-18-11, 23:55
I was assigned to our agency's plainclothes Crime Suppression Unit a few years ago before I was promoted. We were basically patrol officers in street gear rolling up in unmarked cars. We carried most of the same gear we carried in full uniform, to include our tasers.

I primarily used kydex stuff, like Fobus and Blade-Tech, for my extra mags and handgun for speed since everything was already concealed under clothing or a light jacket. Retention was pretty good for the mags. I also used some Maxpedition gear for carrying and concealing my radio, cuffs, flashlight, etc, and occasionally wore a light tactical vest under a jacket in cooler weather.

Shawn.L
05-19-11, 03:49
Custom carry concepts mag carriers are nice , low profile , but your right those double stack mags are a bitch to conceal .
If concealment is really a high priority , and you feel you really need that extra mag I had Brian at atomic dog holster's make me a pocket mag pouch before that worked really well.

NotDylan
05-19-11, 04:07
Custom carry concepts mag carriers are nice , low profile , but your right those double stack mags are a bitch to conceal .

I carry and recommend the mag carriers from CCC.

legumeofterror
05-19-11, 10:13
I use a Fobus single magazine carrier. It works well.

Fire_Medic
05-19-11, 10:46
Look up board member "Seraph" from Secret City Weaponeers. With his mag carrier you have the option of carrying inside the waistband or outside the waistband.

Rosco Benson
05-19-11, 11:11
The simple kydex pouches from either www.rmholsters.com or www.talontactical.com work as well as any. They offer quick on/off, but are very secure on the belt.

The new Safariland #71 universal mag pouch works great too. No easy on/off (you have to thread your belt through it), but it offers the advantage of accepting just about any pistol magazine and holding it securely.

Rosco

Jim D
05-19-11, 11:12
I carry and recommend the mag carriers from CCC.

Me too, highly recommended.

Only potential shortcoming is that they're fixed belt loops, so make sure they're compatable with your intended belt size before you order.

JHC
05-19-11, 11:37
Raven single mag holder is the nicest I have. Very flat to the body.
Talon Tactical's as Roscoe noted is good too. Milt Sparks single mag carrier has always worked well for me too.
(all of the above refer to Glock magazine holders)

RD62
05-19-11, 11:54
I have and use single mag pouches from Comp-tac.

I've used them for single stack 1911 mags as well as Glock mags (different pouches of course) and been very happy with them. I've used them for plain clothes detail, CCW, IDPA, and training courses with no issues.

I also find them easy to add/remove from the belt while still being secure.

LHQuattro
05-19-11, 13:19
I've used Raven Concealment Systems mag pouches for 1911s, M&Ps, Glocks....they carry way closer to the body than blade tech, CCC, or you name just about any other mag pouch out there.

I hear that Cane and Derby Inc mag pouches carry really tight (maybe tighter) to the body....and is quick on/off. I've got a couple CDI singles on order. That could be the ticket.

The RCS stuff works great, especially if you don't mind threading on and off.

mikejg
05-19-11, 14:31
I'll have to echo the Raven mag carriers. They can also be worn OWB or IWM with the right attachments.

DeusExMachina
05-19-11, 14:58
Do they also take 14-16 weeks to get like their holsters?

durus5995
05-19-11, 17:04
I've used Raven Concealment Systems mag pouches for 1911s, M&Ps, Glocks....they carry way closer to the body than blade tech, CCC, or you name just about any other mag pouch out there.

I can affirm this statement. I bought a double mag blade tech carrier off a user on the board here and it was just way to bulky and did not carry close to the body at all. I was lucky enough to score a raven double mag carrier and it really is perfect. Its got that slight bend where it follows your body and its just darn comfortable.

The only thing I would like to try and see is if two single carriers might be a little better and I would like to Ravens pocket carry adapters as well.

wahoo95
05-19-11, 17:20
I use these and love them. They take up minimal belt space and carry the mags tight to the body.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/G171.jpg

I also like these for times when I need to carry my mag horizontally.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/5381733263_8641a2e6db_z.jpg

RD62
05-19-11, 17:27
The only thing I would like to try and see is if two single carriers might be a little better and I would like to Ravens pocket carry adapters as well.

I definitely prefer two singles to a double for the added versatility. I also personally find it more comfortable.

DeusExMachina
05-19-11, 17:36
What are those, wahoo?

ArRazorback
05-19-11, 17:43
Raven single mag holder is the nicest I have. Very flat to the body.
Talon Tactical's as Roscoe noted is good too. Milt Sparks single mag carrier has always worked well for me too.
(all of the above refer to Glock magazine holders)

I haven't used a Sparks for Glock or M&P, but his 1911 mag holders are top notch. No complaints here on the RCS carriers for a double stack, but I'm looking forward to getting a few from Cane and Derby in next week. I've read that their Super Slim is excellent. It's made from a thinner kydex than their regular carrier, and not meant for the hard use you'll run into through repeated training courses. Rather, it's built for every day concealed carry.

wahoo95
05-19-11, 18:01
What are those, wahoo?

In the picture above, the top Kytex I use for daily concealed carry and the bottom design(mine) are heavy duty. I use the in both horizontal and vertical carry depending on the circumstance.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/5382336894_15431723d0_z.jpg

Steve S.
05-19-11, 18:42
I've been trying a few mag carriers to find what's comfortable. Dang thing is harder to hide than my G19.

I have a Safariland leather one, which works but the snap opens up when I move a certain way.

I tried a Galco HMC (horizontal) and besides ordering the wrong one for my gun, it wouldn't work for me either.

Any recommendations?

Our new enhanced belt loops coupled with our low profile mag carriers are like a dream. I also never enjoyed carrying a spare mag until now.

The new loops can be OWB or IWB. They can be quick attach or permanent mounted. They also provide a much lower ride height than standard loops - great for those wearing armor or seeking lower riding mags. They work with any of our Holsters and provide ride height/cant adjustment on Holsters and standard mag carriers.

We just finished a very long testing period and have the finalized version ready. Initial feedback has been extremely positive. We've jokingly been calling them the "end-all loops" in the shop - because they take away any incentive to purchase any additional belt attachments. It's one loop for many mission requirements. They aren't listed on our site yet, but I have plenty of finalized and prototypes onhand.

I don't use threads here to make sales. So shoot me an email and I'll give you a working prototype. Hopefully it makes your life a bit easier.

LHQuattro
05-19-11, 21:38
I should add that the other "Raven-like" kydex holsters look like they would keep magazines tight. The newer breed of small kydex shops seem to be on to good things.

GJM
05-19-11, 21:59
Here is a link to the Safariland Universal mag pouch that holds everything from a 1911 magazine thru Glock 20/21 and a Surefire and Letherman:

http://www.holsterops.com/product_details.php?item_id=26754

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/SLUn.jpg

rob_s
05-19-11, 22:06
I hear that Cane and Derby Inc mag pouches carry really tight (maybe tighter) to the body....and is quick on/off. I've got a couple CDI singles on order. That could be the ticket.

I am waiting on one of these myself. I have several of the prototypes.

http://www.caneandderby.com/

I find that as a prior 1911 carrier there is a lot more to trying to hid the fat Glock mags than there was before. I think the C&D will be just the ticket.

LHQuattro
05-20-11, 08:21

I find that as a prior 1911 carrier there is a lot more to trying to hid the fat Glock mags than there was before. I think the C&D will be just the ticket.

same here. Been using appendix carry with mags lately to mitigate the extra bulk. double stacks seem to conceal much better at 10:00-10:30 for me. maybe those USPSA guys were inadvertently on to something!

bigbore40
05-20-11, 08:45
+ 1 on the Raven Concealment get the magpul cut and you will be good to go . Very comfortable set up

YVK
05-20-11, 08:46
CDI mag holders do in fact keep magazine closer to the body, comparing to RCS, at an expense of slightly wider footprint. The main difference, aside from quick on/off option of CDI, is a ride height. CDI ride quite a bit lower. RCS and CDI holders would work differently for different body types, mag sizes and carry positions.

Steve S.
05-20-11, 11:13

Rob,

Shoot me an email and I'll get you a prototype to test out- if you are interested. We'll call it even from the money The Chart saved me. I've been wanting to contact you for feedback, but seen awhile back your PM box was full.

TheLefty
05-20-11, 12:19
In the picture above, the top Kytex I use for daily concealed carry...

I use Kytex Gear mag pouches also, and am very satisfied. They're simple, conceal well, and are very inexpensive. An added bonus is that I don't have to wait months to get them.

Beat Trash
05-20-11, 19:45
I use Kytex Gear mag pouches also, and am very satisfied. They're simple, conceal well, and are very inexpensive. An added bonus is that I don't have to wait months to get them.

How secure is the belt attachment? Is it too easy to come off? Does it stay put?

Thanks

wahoo95
05-20-11, 19:54
How secure is the belt attachment? Is it too easy to come off? Does it stay put?

Thanks

I've always found them to be secure in their mounting. They stay where you mount the. Hard to beat for around $15 shipped.

zacbol
05-20-11, 21:07
The recommendation I was given from John Holschen, 20 year SF veteran and former SF weapons instructor, was to use the Kramer horsehide magazine pouch, but to get the one for the G26 to use with G19 magazines as it leaves much more of the mag exposed for quick purchase. I bought one and it's quite comfortable, or at least as comfortable as you can get with a double stack mag:
http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=28&categoryID=31

I'm trying to move over to the Walther PPS for this reason and found the Occidental IWB leather holster quite comfortable, but I guess that's easy when it's a single stack mag. I'm not sure if it'd work for a double-stack. It also was *extremely* tight at first and I had to leave a mag double wrapped in saranwrap over a few nights to get it loose enough to actually be functional:
http://www.rossroadbags.com/product.php?sku=1360

Beat Trash
05-20-11, 22:14
I've always found them to be secure in their mounting. They stay where you mount the. Hard to beat for around $15 shipped.

Thanks, for the price and availability, I'll give them a shot.

rob_s
05-21-11, 07:56
Look very similar to the Ready Tactical I've been using for a long time.

I with the Kytex came in specific belt widths, and not just "up to .75 in". I've found that having the loop match the belt is important to me.

Bulldog7972
05-21-11, 08:23
Andrews Leather makes a pancake style magazine holder that is so comfortable that I carry an extra mag even when I don't carry a gun. It holds the mag close to your body just as a pancake holster holds the gun tight. Best I've ever used.

DasBulk
05-21-11, 12:12
I have two, very different styles I use. One is the regular old CompTac tek lock style, vertial carry. I use it most of the time. But if I have to tuck, or have a shorter cover I use a horizontal, camouflage with a velcro cover. Pretty damned discrete.

ActiveShooter
05-21-11, 12:20
I have tried several different brands, but prefer Raven Concealment. It seems to me like all of the other kydex holster makers make their mag carriers really large in size when compared to Raven, making them difficult to conceal and uncomfortable.

TheLefty
05-21-11, 14:44
Thanks, for the price and availability, I'll give them a shot.

For the price, it's not much to lose if you don't like them.

I was iffy about them being secure on my belt, but so far I've had no problems. There are "wings" on the belt clip that curve inward towards the pouch body, and they seem to do a good job of keeping the pouch from coming off of the belt.

Look very similar to the Ready Tactical I've been using for a long time.

I wish the Kytex came in specific belt widths, and not just "up to .75 in". I've found that having the loop match the belt is important to me.

They do look very similar in design to the Ready Tactical pouches. The one-size-fits-all belt size is one thing that I wish he would change. While it hasn't been an issue with my 1.5" belts, I wish that extra "slack" wasn't there. I do prefer pouches that slip over the belt though, I absolutely hate threading things on my belt.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with them, but admittedly, they don't get much hard use from me. I use them almost daily to conceal my spare mag(s), and during the little practicing that I do.

PureBS90
12-18-17, 13:53
Does anyone know of a low profile, metal, outside the waist single magazine carrier? My favorite is Kley-Zion from Botac but they are out of stock in for the Glock 19/23. I have a couple for my Glock 30 and they are my favorite.

5.56 Bonded SP
12-18-17, 17:07
I almost responded to the second comment in this thread, and then I realized it is almost 7 years old.

MegademiC
12-18-17, 20:41

Any recommendations?

These are great:

http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-Pistol-Mag-Pouch-p/rdt.103.htm

I almost responded to the second comment in this thread, and then I realized it is almost 7 years old.

Damnit!!

RioGrandeGreen
12-18-17, 21:03
I like this Don Hume mag carrier. Simple, low profile and well made. I've been using it for about five years.

http://www.gunnersalley.com/don-hume-d417-single-magazine-carrier-with-belt-slot/