PDA

View Full Version : mk262 vs TAP T2 for shorter barrels?

NotObvious
05-19-11, 01:05
I see lots of info, but, from a side by side comparison, is there much difference in performance?

My 2 ARs (yeah, I only have 2) are my M&P15 VTAC (1x7 16" 5.56 chamber) and my DPMS SPR (1x8 18" 5.56 chamber).

I have SOME MK262 mod 1, but, TAP T2 is so much easier to get ahold of an cheaper.

From what I have seen, TAP might be a better expanding round and overall performance.

Or am I way off?

Nightvisionary
05-19-11, 04:41
I just could never get any kind of decent accuracy with the Hornady 75 grain bullet. Nosler and Sierra 77's are about twice as accurate through my rifle as the Hornady's.

NotObvious
05-19-11, 09:22
I have had really good success with the Hornady 68gr BTHP but never tried the newer T2 design TAP loaded round.

My 16" M&P likes the Nossler 77gr, my 18" DPMS prefers the SMK 77gr.

Both have 5.56 nato chambers, zero feeding issues.

Just looking for a more defensive round than a match bullet to round out the ammo inventory.

Evil1969SS>LS6
05-20-11, 10:35
I have SOME MK262 mod 1, but, TAP T2 is so much easier to get ahold of an cheaper.

From what I have seen, TAP might be a better expanding round and overall performance.

First of all, if TAP T2 is easier to find and cheaper...this is some news to me!?

Second, TAP is not a Soft tip or Hollow point round so, it's not designed to "expand' but fragment. If you read through Doc's research, you'll find it's the best performing of the open-tipped match rounds.

The Nosler MK262 performed better than the Sierra Match King in the new MK262 Mod 1 but, not a bad choice either way. If you do have access to TAP T2 8126N then, get as much as you can!

You lso mentioned you wanted a more defensive round, and not so much a "match"? Why not look into some of the bonded type or the new BH 50 gr. Barnes TSX?

RAM Engineer
05-20-11, 10:43
TAP T2 is so much easier to get ahold of an cheaper.

I bought about 1000 rounds of T2 a few years ago. If someone knows where I can get more, I'd love to hear it. I NEVER see it for sale anymore.

NotObvious
05-20-11, 12:41
I'll be the first to admit that its more appropriate to have 2 different bullets for two different purposes.

"There is no magic bullet"

I like the idea of the TSX... I have no personal experience with it, so, I am interested in what folks have found with it from a 16" carbine.

The Hornady TAP I see is 80265 (223 loading with the T1), 81264 (I believe its the TAP1C bullet in civilian loadings), and 8126N (limited stocks at my dealers, but, a few here and there).

I don't plan on buying thousands of anything but practice ammo. But, 300-500 rds is all I was after.

I am keeping an eye out for the Black Hills "red box" 75gr loadings as well. I don't believe it uses the T2 bullet, but, its pretty good from what I have been reading.

The other option is to just fall back to handloading them myself. :D

As I recall, there is not that much difference in performance for expansion between the T1 and T2 bullet at this time.

Evil1969SS>LS6
05-20-11, 19:36
I am keeping an eye out for the Black Hills "red box" 75gr loadings as well. I don't believe it uses the T2 bullet, but, its pretty good from what I have been reading.

The MK262 MOD 1 has been in "new" production for several months now. Ammotogo.com, G&RTactical.com and some others have it in stock.

As I stated before, the MK262 MOD1 uses the Sierra Match King bullet, not the T2.

But, I suggest you read the sticky that DocGKR has in the top of the forum, if you already haven't....:cool:

NotObvious
05-20-11, 21:25
I am still on the look out for the BH 75gr OTM red box...

I'd prefer to stick with a few hundred of the factory loads and then find a handload that "matches" the performance and POI for practice.

This is for my SPR type rifle.

I'm going to do some more searching for the TSX and see if I can find it locally first. For shorter barrels, I figure its likely to be a bit more effective for close range and deer.

I do appreciate all the follow up info people have provided. :)