PDA

View Full Version : BCM Mid-length vs Colt 6920

Pilot1
05-19-11, 09:15
I know this has probably been done to death, but I have used the search function and still not convinced either way. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Current situation:

Getting back into AR's after a stint with AK's. While still keeping a few in 5.45, I am back to the AR platform for its accuracy, better ergos, and reliability.

I have an older DPMS CAR-15, H-Bar A2 configured with a fixed carry handle. Its an OK rifle, but is nose heavy, has the older style (short LOP for me) collapsible buttstock, and isn't a flattop so is not the best for mounting optics.

Future direction:

I'd like a 16 inch barreled carbine for easy shooting off hand at the range and for HD.

Option 1: Install BCM Mid-length Upper on my DPMS lower and replace the buttstock with ???

Option 2: Buy a complete Colt 6920 which is something I've always wanted until I started reading about the BCM's and the advatanges of the mid-length design.

Thoughts?

Which buttstock do you recommend for a little longer LOP if I go with keeping the DPMS lower? What else should I consider?

Thanks!

lifebreath
05-19-11, 09:35
Option 2: Buy a complete Colt 6920 which is something I've always wanted until I started reading about the BCM's and the advatanges of the mid-length design.

Either one will certainly work, but "... which is something I've always wanted ..." stands out in you comments. Having been involved in many hobbies over the years, I can say with some assurance that until you get that thing that's been the "ideal" type in your mind, it will continue to nag at you even if you get a multitude of others of roughly equivalent quality.

My $0.02.

Appalachian
05-19-11, 09:53
Since you searched the forum as you stated you know the differences between the middy and carbine length gas systems and their benefits so it really comes down to that. A throw away COA is keeping the DPMS lower. If you are considering the 6920 then consider a middy rifle from BCM, Noveske, etc.; not just the upper.

With the HD requirement I would say that the best non SBR option is a 14.5 with a perm'd FH. BUT...since you don't have a stable of ARs you will want to tinker/ swap out rails or handguards until you find what works. So a 16in bbl is in order. Someone else was just talking about this on here, Ill try to find the link for you.

Good luck

I know this has probably been done to death, but I have used the search function and still not convinced either way. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Future direction:

I'd like a 16 inch barreled carbine for easy shooting off hand at the range and for HD.

Thanks!

Carnut
05-19-11, 10:02
If you buy the Colt, you will have 2 rifles, the 6920 which right now has good resale value and the DPMS which would have lower resale. If you buy the BCM upper, you will essentially have a DPMS with a BCM upper. You will also have the A2 HBAR upper. I think the way to go is to sell off the DPMS and buy either a complete BCM middy or a complete Colt 6920. I paid $1050 for my BCM mid length plus $47 for the Magpul BUIS. Last I heard the 6920 was down to $950 and I believe that includes the rear sight.

Around here the resale value of an AR is determined by the maker of the lower.

Pilot1
05-19-11, 10:04
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, I know the pros and cons of "Shorty" vs. "Middy", and for me the bottom line is that they can both be extremely reliable, although the Middy more inherently so. Therefore, I assume sight radius would be the next consideration and with an optic, that also becomes minimized or even nullified unless your optics fail and you are force back to the irons. Are these assumptions correct? FWIW, I can hit a pie plate, consistantly, off hand at 100 yards with my Shorty irons.

Another considerations is $$$, and while I am sure I'll probably end up with both :rolleyes:, I'd like to spend less up front if I can, so getting use from my existing lower is a plus.

HD is on the lower end of the requirement and is really a last ditch item. This will be mostly for the range.

Carnut
05-19-11, 11:33
Can you wait and sell the existing rifle (A2 HBAR) first? I don't think that upper will be worth much by itself. Are you planning on using the existing BCG? Last I heard BCM BCGs were hard to get your hands on.

Terlingueno
05-19-11, 11:37
Buy a Colt 6920 complete upper directly from Colt for just under $700
http://www.coltsmfg.com/ShopOnline/tabid/62/ProdID/301/Default.aspx
Put it on the DPMS lower and shoot, rinse, repeat

forgiven
05-19-11, 11:57

Yuck, just threw up in my mouth, spend the extra $300 and get the factory 6920.

kwelz
05-19-11, 12:08

You mean a DPMS lower like these?
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81237

As others said. Just spend the money on a complete gun.

9DivDoc
05-19-11, 12:11
Having sold off all my Colt ARs many years ago and having filled my stable with BCM's and Noveske's

I'd say get the Colt and when you tire of it buy a BCM or sell that Colt
upper and replace it with a BCM at that time

straitR
05-19-11, 12:47
As previously stated, you will probably end up with both, but you might as well start with the one you've 'always wanted' to deal with that itch first. Also, LE6920's are currently at the lowest price point I can remember, which should make the choice easy for anyone contemplating buying one.

Beat Trash
05-19-11, 13:15
With the current pricing, I'd get the Colt. If the BCM was drastically cheaper, then I'd get the BCM.

Either way, I'd get a complete rifle and dump the DPMS.

markm
05-19-11, 13:17
Yuck, just threw up in my mouth, spend the extra $300 and get the factory 6920.

Better than puting a DPMS barrel on a Colt LOWER though!!! :jester:

C-grunt
05-19-11, 13:20
Buy the Colt. It's something you have always wanted. I am the same way. I sold my old Colt 6520 to fund my Noveske. While the Noveske is a fantastic rifle, I just didnt have the same feeling towards it like I do with my new Colt 6920.

Pilot1
05-19-11, 14:54
Thanks guys. I think I will just get the 6920 like many have said, and then get a BCM Midddy upper at some point.

The DPMS is actually a decent rifle, but just doesn't do what I want it to do for a handy carbine AR. Its going to go on the block to help fund the Colt. ;)

g5m
05-19-11, 15:08
Very good choice.

Terlingueno
05-19-11, 15:58
Thanks guys. I think I will just get the 6920 like many have said, and then get a BCM Midddy upper at some point.

The DPMS is actually a decent rifle, but just doesn't do what I want it to do for a handy carbine AR. Its going to go on the block to help fund the Colt. ;)

Let me know, I'll take that DPMS off your hands. I'm not afraid.

Pappabear
05-20-11, 01:04
Good decision, Colt. Everybody out to have one in the stable!

fireblast713
05-25-11, 15:46
Good choice with the colt 6920, I've always wanted one, but 1k for a no frills rifle always just seemed like too much when you compare it to BCM and other makers