PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably affordable Precision Barrel?

ra2bach
05-19-11, 10:24
Looking at the BCM 20" SS barrel thread made me think I could build a nice, accurate rifle for not a lot of coin (I already have most of the other parts needed). I mentioned this to my gun plumber and he said the Lothar Walther barrels can be had with a matched bolt and are very reasonable in price.

I'm not willing to spend top dollar for a Krieger or other ultimate barrel but don't want to give up accuracy or quality for want of a few dollars either.

what seems to be the best balance of function and value out there?

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-19-11, 10:30
I have been looking around for a barrel to. Im just not sure what to get either. I have Lilja, Blackstar, Brux, Kreger on my bolt guns but the AR barrels seam to differ for some reason. Im with you as I dont want to spend that much. I was looking at the white oak website last night they have a good rep and a decent price on their barrels, others under consideration are Saturn and Hart(or NY).

Jon

What are you building? Its a toss up for me right now between 30 AR and 6.5 LBC

MistWolf
05-19-11, 15:46
Little Crow Gun Works carries LW barrels. I ordered mine from them and I was very satisfied with their customer service during the transaction. I have a little over 300 rounds through my LW barrel and it shoots consistent even when it get too warm to touch comfortably. Barrel is "20" S.S.(LW-50)barrel with 1 in 8" twist (55gr-80gr bullets), complete with match headspaced bolt assembly. .223 Wylde chamber. Rifle length gas system, M-4 barrel extension, .750 gas block boss, .740 muzzle dia.,1/2"X28tpi thread."

Here is a link to the Gunbroker ad Little Crow is currently running
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=231004154

caelumatra
05-19-11, 16:17
Rainier Arms has some pretty decently priced barrels. They're Shillen blanks I believe

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2690

This is less than half the cost of the Noveske of the same length (at least with my mil discount. Not sure what its regular price is)

Aw, I didn't read enough. You said BCM, so 556. Still, Rainier makes 556 too
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15/m16_barrels_rainierarms
...sold out :/

Second edit: I cant believe how cheap that Rainier 18" 308 barrel is lol

Cameron
05-19-11, 16:54
I always thought that all quality precision barrels are actually a pretty inexpensive component, typically ranging from $300-500. My BCM SS410 is extremely accurate, so too my Lothar Walther LW50.

When you consider the price of match ammunition, and quality glass, the barrel will be the cheapest thing you buy...

Cameron

ccoker
05-19-11, 22:07
add White Oak Armory to the list
Noveske as well

I have an upper coming in from PRI tomorrow with a Douglass 1 in 8 18" SPR profile barrel, I expect it to be a tack driver

Wilson Combat offers a 20" fluted stainless for about 300
I have a 18" 6.8 upper from them that's an absolute tack driver

if you want a lighter weight 16", Nordic Components has a 1 in 8 Lilja for under 300 shipped with gas tube, reportedly very accurate

ra2bach
05-20-11, 20:00
thanks for the replies, guys. I was all set to spend on the BCM but my gunsmith specifically recommended LW with their matched bolt.

how important is this matched bolt thing?

one further question - the upper receiver I was planning on using is just a standard receiver. I was wondering if I hang a longer fatter barrel on it, would it be better if I went with one of the beefed up receivers like the MUR?

MistWolf
05-20-11, 21:15
I am not sure how important the matched bolt is. By all accounts, there are some very accurate rifles that have been built with drop in bolts. One fellow stated his LW barreled rifle was more accurate with the matched bolt than it was with a drop in bolt. I looked at it like this- The LW barrel was $325 delivered (they've gone up a bit since) and it came with a bolt. If bolts cost $50, I got a precision stainless steel barrel for $275

ra2bach
05-20-11, 21:27
I am not sure how important the matched bolt is. By all accounts, there are some very accurate rifles that have been built with drop in bolts. One fellow stated his LW barreled rifle was more accurate with the matched bolt than it was with a drop in bolt. I looked at it like this- The LW barrel was $325 delivered (they've gone up a bit since) and it came with a bolt. If bolts cost $50, I got a precision stainless steel barrel for $275

yeah, I hadn't really looked at it that way. and the LW barrels do seem to have a good reputation. :)

Cameron
05-20-11, 21:28
thanks for the replies, guys. I was all set to spend on the BCM but my gunsmith specifically recommended LW with their matched bolt.

how important is this matched bolt thing?

one further question - the upper receiver I was planning on using is just a standard receiver. I was wondering if I hang a longer fatter barrel on it, would it be better if I went with one of the beefed up receivers like the MUR?

I have two precision rigs with standard receivers that shoot sub MOA so I am not sure of the advantage on a "beefed up" upper.

Hopefully I can be some help as I actually have a Lothar Walther LW50 with a hand matched bolt (built as an in-house custom Recce by Daniel Defense) and a BCM SS410 that I matched a bolt to myself, as I had 3 BCM BCGs and tried each bolt for the best fit. Interestingly the bolt that fit the best was the one the good folks at BCM sent with the SPR upper... The reality is that they both will shoot sub MOA with match ammo, actually 0.5 MOA if the shooter and the conditions are good.

I think both rifles or barrels are great, the DD Recce LW50 barrel by Lothar Walther or the BCM SS410 barrel by Kreiger you cant go wrong. I just think Bravo is a great company to deal with so my next will be through them.

Photo so you know I'm not making shit up...

BCM SPR & DD Recce
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/5134174023_5f8436c7e2_b.jpg

smschulz
05-21-11, 20:06
Barrel, ammo, trigger, glass > all factors in an accurate rifle not to mention the shooters contribution too.

a1fabweld
05-21-11, 22:47
I built my own version of a SDMR using a WO 20" SDMR fluted barrel, DD 12" lite rail, JP trigger, A2 stock, & a Bushnell FFP 3-12x44 scope. It's consistently good for 1 hole groups.

Sgt_Gold
05-22-11, 22:14
Douglas makes an air gauged barrel that's in your price range. I've been using a Douglas barrel in high power and it's a tack driver out to 600 yards.

koz
05-24-11, 06:52
Call Compass Lake Engineering - they use Douglas and Krieger blanks. They shoot very well.

ra2bach
05-26-11, 21:14
Douglas makes an air gauged barrel that's in your price range. I've been using a Douglas barrel in high power and it's a tack driver out to 600 yards.

I'm familiar with Douglas barrels having used them on my CMP competition service rifles. great barrel at a great price...

ra2bach
05-26-11, 21:19
I built my own version of a SDMR using a WO 20" SDMR fluted barrel, DD 12" lite rail, JP trigger, A2 stock, & a Bushnell FFP 3-12x44 scope. It's consistently good for 1 hole groups.

thanks. I looked at these and they look pretty good for the price. I like the fluting under the handguard as I had a 20" match service rifle and it was definitely not a "walking around" rifle as I am envisioning building...

ra2bach
05-26-11, 21:22
I have two precision rigs with standard receivers that shoot sub MOA so I am not sure of the advantage on a "beefed up" upper....

I think both rifles or barrels are great, the DD Recce LW50 barrel by Lothar Walther or the BCM SS410 barrel by Kreiger you cant go wrong. I just think Bravo is a great company to deal with so my next will be through them.

Photo so you know I'm not making shit up...

Cameron, thanks for this. after all the pictures of your amazing guns, I don't think anyone here would ever accuse you of "making shit up"... ;)

and btw, I tend to lean your way about BCM. even though the LW barrel with matched bolt looks like a good deal, I'm drawn to the BCM because of the chamber specs and the fact that it is a great all-around company...

heavytank2
05-28-11, 00:37
Anyone know where to buy a damn barrel?

- BravoCompany is out of stock on pretty much everything.
- AR15Barrels is not accepting orders.
- JTAC doesn't post any prices. Just some vague rambling about barrel makers it carries.
- The barrel makers themselves just give you barrel profile information, 90% of which is not of the AR15 stepped style. Or charge you $100 extra for one. When 400,000 ARs were sold in '09.
- Rainier (who I really want) is out of stock on the 'select' mid-lengths but, of course, have the almost $400 one.
- Nordic's SS Barrel is a LW profile

1x8 would be nice too.... 16" SS, mid-length, mid-weight.

G&R actually has a nice BCM 410 stainless middy. But that too will probably be gone by the time I get my crap together...
I will probably end up with WOA. Since they just post a price and don't claim out of stock like everyone else.

sapper36
05-28-11, 08:06
I have been looking a spr type as well. Does anyone have any time with this DD 18" barrel?

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/18-inch-chf-barrels.html

I dont really know if at my level of shooting I will see a difference between a SS and good CHF but I do like the increased life span of the former.

smschulz
05-28-11, 10:20

It is a tough one.
You just need to be patient to get the one you want.
Sign up for a notification alert and be ready to respond when you get the email.
I waited and waited for barrels from BCM or Rainier but got impatient and bought WOA SDM barrel (nice but I really wanted the 18.5 SPR Ultra Match Barrel).

BTW the SPR Ultra Match is in stock now and a great barrel ~ I have one in 14.5 and another build using their 18 inch 308 barrel.

Cameron
05-28-11, 10:41

- BravoCompany is out of stock on pretty much everything.

1x8 would be nice too.... 16" SS, mid-length, mid-weight.

Bravo Company has 16" SS410 mid length mid weight 1in8" twist barrels in stock right now... BCM 16" SS410 Barrel with Mid Length Gas (stripped) 1/8 Twist $299 Stock Status: In Stock (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Recce-SS410-Barrel-with-Mid-Length-Gas-p/bcm%20ss410%2016-8.htm)

Cameron

Florida Mike
05-30-11, 07:34
I just put together a service rifle with a Shaw 20 inch stainless 1:8 target crown barrel, freefloated with a Whiteoak sleave, Match sights and a RR 2 stage trigger to stay compatition legal. I used a BA forge upper and Stag lowwer. No Receaver slop. It is a MOA or better rifle.

I wanted to put together a rifle that wouldnt break the bank. Still be competative for local matches. If I lose interest it would not be a total loss of a Designated rifle. I think I have $800 total into the build

Hanson77
05-30-11, 22:53
I love my LW barrel...paid $550 with matching bolt from SOG about 2 weeks ago. Its by far one of the most accurate guns that I've ever gotten behind the trigger of.

BaileyMoto
06-22-11, 00:31
Not a 20", but the 18" Douglas SS barrels are right around $400-$425 and said to have a chamber that is optimized for the mk262/BH 77gr SMK's (not sure how much or if that really effects anything).

Anywho, I do know they shoot amazingly.

Sheepdog Tactical Gear
08-01-11, 19:23
Great info guys thanks.

Lawrence
08-14-11, 15:20
You got a chance of out shooting a White Oak BBL if you are a high master and you bend it. These things are made to shoot often, long and straight.

Kfgk14
08-15-11, 19:25
Check out White Oak Armament.

J Krammes
08-15-11, 21:55
I got one of the WO 18" SPR barrels.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=449

I don't have to many rounds through it, but I am happy so far.
Some Blackhills 77gr SMK's @ 100 yrds. I am sure hand loads will be better.
http://techno-ruby.smugmug.com/photos/i-bnBpBrd/0/L/i-bnBpBrd-L.jpg

Geissele helps with this too.

The rifle.
http://techno-ruby.smugmug.com/photos/i-8ZRVBtt/1/L/i-8ZRVBtt-L.jpg

Jk

ALCOAR
08-15-11, 23:56

tresmonos
09-09-11, 10:46
Not a 20", but the 18" Douglas SS barrels are right around $400-$425 and said to have a chamber that is optimized for the mk262/BH 77gr SMK's (not sure how much or if that really effects anything).

Anywho, I do know they shoot amazingly.

I just took the plunge on a douglas barrel from high caliber sales. I'm buying it more for my taste for mil spec clones than anything. I'm hoping it proves to be a good shooter. In a few months after I build it up, I should have some results from it.

ra2bach
09-09-11, 13:54
question on Ionbond... BCM has both stainless and stainless with Ionbond though the coating is only on the exterior, not the bore.

is there any benefit to Ionbond other than coloring?

Belmont31R
09-09-11, 14:02
question on Ionbond... BCM has both stainless and stainless with Ionbond though the coating is only on the exterior, not the bore.

is there any benefit to Ionbond other than coloring?

Its not just a paint. Its a extremely thin layer of extremely durable material that will help resist wear and corrosion.

http://www.ionbond.com/dynasite.cfm?dsmid=84833

I would recommend it as Ive had SS barrels show slight rusting before, and for my own personal taste Im not really fan of bright shiny barrels.

ra2bach
09-11-11, 10:41
thanks, yeah I know it's durable protection against wear and corrosion. and I'm not a fan of shiny barrels either but I was wondering if there was a spray coating (paint) that I could do that would be durable enough and save me the $60 upcharge...