PDA

View Full Version : Do pistol mounted lights affect a change in POI?

rauchman
05-19-11, 15:08
Greetings,

Went to the range last weekend. I mounted a TLR1 on a Gen3 G19 and noticed that my POI was about 1.5" higher than w/out the light at 15'ish yards. I thought it was me, but I ran a few strings with and w/out the light mounted and found this was pretty consistent.

Is this your finding as well?

badness
05-19-11, 15:18
nope.

I don't see how it can change the POI? The only thing i can think of is the extra weight reducing the muzzle rise.....but that would go AGAINST your findings. Personally i have not noticed any difference with or without a mounted light.

Are you sure your point of aim isn't changing because you're focusing on the beam rather than exactly where your front sight is? Since the light is mounted below the muzzle, you could be shining the light where you want to hit, thus making the POI higher than what you want?

rauchman
05-19-11, 15:25
nope.

I don't see how it can change the POI? The only thing i can think of is the extra weight reducing the muzzle rise.....but that would go AGAINST your findings. Personally i have not noticed any difference with or without a mounted light.

Yeah, I can't explain it. I was thinking it had something to do w/ additional weight hanging on the muzzle end.

Are you sure your point of aim isn't changing because you're focusing on the beam rather than exactly where your front sight is? Since the light is mounted below the muzzle, you could be shining the light where you want to hit, thus making the POI higher than what you want?

This wasn't a factor since I didn't actually have the light on. It was more of a reliability test w/ the pistol since I've never really shot a pistol w/ a light mounted.

Of course, it's very possible it's my own shooting that is THE contributing factor here :D

durus5995
05-19-11, 17:11
I carry a Gen 4 Glock 19 with a TLR 1 and I have not noticed any sort of POI shift.

Could it be possible that your grip might have changed a little due to the light?

SteveL
05-19-11, 17:19
I have not noticed any difference in POI when shooting my M&P9 with or without the X300 attached.

rathos
05-19-11, 18:07
No difference in POI with x300, TLR-1 or Blackhawk Xiphos light attached on my sigs, M&P or glocks.

Gutshot John
05-19-11, 19:34
It might affect the way you point the gun/balance it in your hand but that's a shooter issue not a gun issue.

DJ_Skinny
05-19-11, 19:53
Broken record here. Third gen G19 with a TLR-1, and no change on POI for me either.

coloccw
05-19-11, 20:36
Short answer...No. Check your grip (we suggest a video camera for you to review any differences)

rauchman
05-20-11, 07:36
Glad to hear the POI shift is not the norm. Time to hit the range again this weekend. Thanks for all the responses.

pmarc
05-20-11, 14:43
Glad to hear the POI shift is not the norm. Time to hit the range again this weekend. Thanks for all the responses.

Try bench shooting with and without the light. That way you might eliminate some user issue..

NC Buckeye
05-20-11, 20:18
My response is "slightly" different. Yes they do, but it is likely something to the effect of .75" at 100 yrds. You won't notice.

Moose-Knuckle
05-20-11, 20:19
My bump in the night/bedside companion is a G17 with a TLR-1. No notice of any change in POI.

sgtjosh
05-20-11, 23:32
Greetings,

Went to the range last weekend. I mounted a TLR1 on a Gen3 G19 and noticed that my POI was about 1.5" higher than w/out the light at 15'ish yards. I thought it was me, but I ran a few strings with and w/out the light mounted and found this was pretty consistent.

Is this your finding as well?

HK P2000 with Insight M3LED...no POI shift here.

jamaicanj
05-26-11, 10:15
I have not noticed any poi difference with my G17 with x300 attached

popo198
06-08-11, 20:46
I have a Xyphos on my G22 for duty and have not noticed any change in POI when qualifying with the light/duty holster or practicing without the light attatched for plain clothes carry.