PDA

View Full Version : Whining, bitching, moaning, etc. about M4C

rob_s
05-19-11, 15:17
Lately a large portion of the special snowflake brigade seems to like to hijack various threads with their general bitching about the way they, or someone else was treated on this site. Is there a way that the moderators could quash this, or at least move it here so the rest of us can ignore it?

With the way some of these people bitch you can't help but wonder why they still belong here at all. I pointed this out to one of the daisies and got a nice two page psycho rant email from the little one. Maybe I'll repost the email here to illustrate the point.

The commentary on the commentary is getting old fast, and turning this whole place TOS. I get it, someone was mean to you, and now you want to defend the other guy he was mean to too, but that has no place in the tech section. We wind up spending more time discussing the discussion than the issue at hand.

If you feel like someone's post was rude, report it. It's not that hard. Quoting them, and telling everyone you thought they were mean, and that everyone on M4C is mean, and b-o-o-h-o-o and so on is just about you wagging your little penis in the air, not about fixing the "problem". Report the post, if you're actually trying to effect change, but jumping on your soapbox to whine about it is WAY more about you than it is anyone else.

ssracer
05-19-11, 15:21
Post the email....could use a laugh

Cincinnatus
05-19-11, 15:28
Rob, this thread is a great idea-- a trash bin to which we can compartmentalize all the nattering nabobs of negativity.

rob_s
05-19-11, 15:35
Rob, this thread is a great idea-- a trash bin to which we can compartmentalize all the nattering nabobs of negativity.

It could be a support group. That seems to be what most of them need. Put some pillows on the floor, light some incense, talk about their feelings, play paintball... oh, wait, different topic. :sarcastic:

I am actually serious about the general idea here though. I don't care if the posts go away entirely or just get moved somewhere else for the unhappy bunch to get it all out, but those kinds of posts don't belong in the tech areas.

cody0341
05-19-11, 15:36
This is the internet, how can people get that mad?

Zhurdan
05-19-11, 15:41
This is the internet, how can people get that mad?

BECAUSE its the internet. A rather large wall between them and who they are snarking about. It's far easier when you know they can't punch you in the face.

TXBob
05-19-11, 15:43
indeed:
here is the email I sent

I'm not sure what put you on my scent but I really don't care. I
guess I dared mention TOS in a manner in which was even slightly
perceived as positive. What a knock!

If you don't like my posts respond like an adult or don't. It seems
to me you are wanting affirmation of your childish behavior and take
it personal when someone points out one of the sites main flaws is the
egos there are bigger than Siberia. i don't subscribe to this secret
squirrel society you guys have--I'd love it if every AR owner knew the
facts. Face it or not. I don't care--but I won't be intimidated buy
a blusterbus like yourself who talks tough but acts like a
pre-pubescent; that's really is the sign of someone who is screaming
for acceptance. Last guy to claim perfection got crucified.
M4carbine is no different. it has pluses and minus. If you don't
want the minus pointed out, well too bad. I'm there because the info
is concentrated there. But I'm supposed to keep quiet while you guys
pander on and on to the crowd acting like children. I'd rather clear
out the chaff and save myself the time.

Tough Love after all

If you don't want naysayers aboard, close registration and you are
free to congratulate yourselves all you want while a changing world
passes you buy.

You make great contributions to the site, but you torque off just as
many by thrashing about whenever you don't like something. making a
great chart doesn't excuse your behavior. Fix it or don't. But don't
expect me to molly-coddle your pre-school behavior when it happens.

Tough Love after all.

Also 2/200+ is less than 1%. You are the RRA/BM of math.

And lets review all the posts about this so called snowflake crowd:
Initial pos which I later remarked I liked:
http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1001251&postcount=1

Then this poster came along:
http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1001778&postcount=23

Then we had a convo:
http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1001833&postcount=25

http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1001835&postcount=26

http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1001849&postcount=28
then Rob comes buy later:

http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1002149&postcount=41

and I respond
http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1002299&postcount=48

Rather than bore everyone with the details I took it private, but since Rob wants a big circle jerk, enjoy.

tgace
05-19-11, 15:52
Am I the only one who sees the irony about people being sensitive about other people being sensitive?

rob_s
05-19-11, 15:53
Rather than bore everyone with the details I took it private, but since Rob wants a big circle jerk, enjoy.

:jester:

Actually what I want is for you to have a place where you can get out all your whining, and crying, and babying, and maybe someone can come by and hold your hand.

After reading your email(s) and more recent posts, this thread is making a whole lot more sense.
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=80462

But it's ok, you're not the only one. Not by a long shot. It seems that most of the under-30 set needs a bit of a nose wiping and encouraging word to get them through the day. I don't know if it's 'cause momma didn't love you guys enough, or daddy loved you too much, but damn y'all are a sensitive bunch.

In all seriousness, if you all want to bitch, bitch. But if you're serious about it having an effect then do it in a way that will have an effect. Your little snarky hipster remarks about "good job being a dick like everyone else on M4C" (or words to that effect) are not productive and you KNOW it's not productive. You're just venting and whining, not doing anything productive.

Report the post, or come to this section and start a discussion about what you perceive as a negative/elitist/arrogant/mean/whatever vibe on the forum and see if it can get worked out.

But the whining in the tech sections has to go.

wake.joe
05-19-11, 15:54
I get more annoyed when I see the long standing members complaining about all the new members all the time. People need to remember this is a forum for information and learning.

TXBob
05-19-11, 15:57
I just want others to behave as adults. i tire of kids and their behavior. I have 2 of em.

But I forget this was the special olympics/internet. My bad.

rob_s
05-19-11, 16:04
I get more annoyed when I see the long standing members complaining about all the new members all the time. People need to remember this is a forum for information and learning.

That it is. And if people would cease being intellectually lazy (which has zero to do with their knowledge or experience on any one topic) and stop hijacking technical threads to talk about the thread itself, we could stick to the information and learning.

Instead we get these little mini crusaders that drop their "I'm sick of you guys all being mean" posts in the middle of threads.

Report it, or come to this section and talk about it.

wake.joe
05-19-11, 16:15
That it is. And if people would cease being intellectually lazy (which has zero to do with their knowledge or experience on any one topic) and stop hijacking technical threads to talk about the thread itself, we could stick to the information and learning.

Instead we get these little mini crusaders that drop their "I'm sick of you guys all being mean" posts in the middle of threads.

Report it, or come to this section and talk about it.

I agree, but it goes both ways. Established members can report and ignore mini-crusaders just the same.

But instead, we see established members going on their own crusades. This very thread is a great example.

aquajon
05-19-11, 16:23
In keeping with the nature of this thread, I submit this:

http://i54.tinypic.com/21o6cyu.gif

Littlelebowski
05-19-11, 16:25
I can't believe an email was sent......

R Moran
05-19-11, 16:43
Rob_S,
I smell what your steppin in. I find no irony in the "whining" about the whiners.

This forum came about a few years back, for a specific reason, and for the most part stayed on track. Lately its been inundated with a bunch of whiners, who demand to be treated a certain way, demand an answer, immediately w/o the use of the search function, start useless threads, and continue to espouse points that have been proven wrong.
Then, if someone treats them unfairly, that individual is told to act like an adult!

Well, sorry, where I come from, and how I was raised, you take shit like a man, and move on. Don't like the way someone talks to you? Oh well, life's hard. Crying about it, makes you look like the child. Declaring our behavior childish is the only irony I see.
Try this behavior over at Lightfighter or 10-8 and see what happens!

If you don't like the tone of M4, I'm sure there are plenty of other web sites that can cater to your special needs. Go there.

Ironically, enough, I', about ready to punch out of this place, because of the kinda silly crap Rob is talking about.

Bob

Bsully
05-19-11, 16:43
Actually what I want is for you to have a place where you can get out all your whining, and crying, and babying, and maybe someone can come by and hold your hand.

That's what Facebook is for
They can dry their pussy out there...

TXBob
05-19-11, 16:44
I woulda PM'd but ya know I read sigs and such.

Also it seems Rob has this personal fetish against me that I don't understand. There were countless other similar replies.

One thing that seem to lack comprehending is that somehow my "feelings" are involved. Go read the thread--you obviously haven't a clue what the convo was. I'm just trying to educate people on correct behavior in public. By all means drive on if it offends you. I like to let people know when their being jerks though. I figure most people don't want to be perceived as such, but it seems in some cases I am mistaken.

All this over 1 post today and 1 post yesterday. Quite a crusade.

I don't think its my panties in a bunch--its having a senior member following me around to every thread stirring the pot. Kinda strikes me as odd.

Carry on.

GIJew766
05-19-11, 16:44
Granted, I'm relatively new in terms of how long I've been registered, but I've lurked the site for years. It strikes me as odd that, only within the past 12 months or so, the influx of "special flowers" has really hit M4C. A shame, truly.

Regardless, the issue is less that people feel they are somehow entitled to a certain "acceptance" and more so that they get all butthurt when someone says something they don't like. Within the past week or two, how many threads have been smattered with ruffled feathers and sore anuses? Way too many. Considering I have a handful of people who I apparently "offended," I'm baffled by the sheer level of wuss.

Put on your big boy pants, and cowboy up. Before kicking and screaming if someone "hurt your feelings," do a sack check and then rethink whether or not you need to grow a thicker skin before posting the Forum Code of Conduct because you think someone made a personal attack.

H

Littlelebowski
05-19-11, 16:54
TXbob, recommend trying out LightFighter (http://lightfighter.net) if you want a no BS, technical weapons and tactics forum.

TehLlama
05-19-11, 16:57
But it's ok, you're not the only one. Not by a long shot. It seems that most of the under-30 set needs a bit of a nose wiping and encouraging word to get them through the day. I don't know if it's 'cause momma didn't love you guys enough, or daddy loved you too much, but damn y'all are a sensitive bunch.

Even with the 'most' caveat, I still take an infinitesimal amount of offense at this sort of 'damn whiny kids' viewpoint.

I WOULD agree that any sort of moderation tricks that could move most of the drama out of the tech sections would be appreciated, I can empathize with what RMoran is on about where a lot of good technical threads (what M4C is best at) have been getting sidetracked here of late by petty shit.

TXBob
05-19-11, 17:01
Appreciate the response, but I'm already on there and several of the other forums. (and yes I get you are mocking me).
sad thing is they reign in their troglodytes and act like adults.

Sorry guys but the machismo "tough guy" crap just isn't impressive. Its just juvenile. If you don't like my opinion, you've got yours. I've said my piece in the forums and responded here. I have more important things to do. I'd rather this site was strictly populated by adults who could behave in public, but we can't always get what we want, even if we try to change it. I've never disagreed with the info or the way its presented in 99% of cases (case in point post #1 of thread in question as perfect example of how to be an adult, and yet this infamous "tier 1 tough love"). but for too many around here "correct" is a license to behave in a manner that would get you thrown out of any public setting.

Packman73
05-19-11, 17:04
This is silly.

PrivateCitizen
05-19-11, 17:04
I'm just trying to educate people on correct behavior in public.

Honestly, it isn't your job.

d90king
05-19-11, 17:28
TXbob, recommend trying out LightFighter (http://lightfighter.net) if you want a no BS, technical weapons and tactics forum.

He would be banned in less than 3 posts...

d90king
05-19-11, 17:29
Honestly, it isn't your job.

Especially when he has only been here for a few months...

cody0341
05-19-11, 17:31
BECAUSE its the internet. A rather large wall between them and who they are snarking about. It's far easier when you know they can't punch you in the face.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, punches in the face. The only thing the internet can't do.

R Moran
05-19-11, 17:46
TXBOB,
Really dude? Where do you get off telling anyone how to behave? You act like we are out at a 5 star restaurant:rolleyes:

On and on about "adult" behavior. Talk about be filled up with one self.

I'll tell you what, I'll let you know when your being a jerk, OK?

Your being a jerk!

Bob

TOrrock
05-19-11, 18:00
Enough.

TXBob, if you're not happy here, you might do better on another forum.

If you don't agree with the site culture, stop trying to moderate it to your own views.

This is indeed damn silly.

JSantoro
05-19-11, 18:04
If you feel like someone's post was rude, report it. It's not that hard. Quoting them, and telling everyone you thought they were mean, and that everyone on M4C is mean, and b-o-o-h-o-o and so on is just about you wagging your little penis in the air, not about fixing the "problem". Report the post, if you're actually trying to effect change, but jumping on your soapbox to whine about it is WAY more about you than it is anyone else.

This is the essence of it.

Ladies and gents, your support structure is in place already. What one has to do is bear in mind that if it gets unused, and that lack of use is rationalized in any way by some form of "Well, I have to have MY say.....," then you might not be wrong in any real sense of the word, but has your say had any real positive impact in any other arena but your mind, and at that particular moment? Has publicly pitching the gripe done anything to get rid of what one is griping about? Prevent future possible events that may seem to require a public gripe? Gotten rid of the words/phrases/paragraph, bad info that prompted the public gripe in the first place?

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Seems like a lot of NOT, of late.

Food for thought: I know for a fact that I'm not seeing the instances of PMs to me or general Report button usage that I was last year. I can't speak for other mods, were I presumptive enough to do so; they can speak for themselves, if they're of a mind to do so. Is that me blaming the forum population for the current state of affairs? No, it's just an identifiable trend which seems pertinent to point out.

The mods and staff can't be in every subforum, much less every thread, so please help us by popping the Red Star Cluster to us. Not every instance of a Report will result in somebody getting their internetpenis smashed with an ice axe, as there's always some that are spawned by differing personalities and the like, but it guarantees a review and some sort of action, IF its warranted according to the rules of the forum AND the context of the topic and the tone.

More brain-food: you quote a troll/rude/uninformed/ignorant asshole/cell-phone-in-movie-theater-type, or some other form of oxygen thief as a means of directing your commentary to them, guess what...? You just made it so that not only do we maybe need to delete/edit the initial post, we have to choose whether or not to edit yours, because due to the Law of Unintended Consequences, you helped established a sort of micro-immortality for them that might be missed and yet further commented upon by somebody else that reads THAT and doesn't otherwise know it was adjudicated, thereby allowing the drama a greater half-life that it would otherwise have.....

I could do a whole buncha stream-of-consciousness run-on sentences, in the best tradition of Michael Herr, about that and other ripples in the pond, but would spare you the agony.

Nastygram emails and PMs have the advantage of not being public for all, but can ALSO be reported to mods/staff for review and action. NOT for mediation; the phone book has ads for counselors and lawyers. However, those that show the trend of using the forum as a medium for being a dickhole in any way WILL BE DEALT WITH....but not until we're made aware of them, whether by our own efforts, or those of the folks that have some form of self-assigned stake in keeping this little hunk-o-bandwidth the way that drew you to it in the first place.

The internet is readily summed up by Ben Afflec's description in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but unfortunately there's little possibility of anyone being able to get money and a list with which to traverse the country and kick the dogshit out of everyone that said something you dislike on a forum like the protagonists of that cinematic masterpiece were able to. What you CAN do is use your access to some folks that have a palpable ability to have The Last Word.

Lord knows I enjoy finding mildly insulting imagery with which to replace some assclown's Starship-Troopers-inspired weapons expertise.

Instead of feeding the trolls.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJxvb8pWDE

In case it needs to be repeated....I see the same things you guys are seeing, and am not in any way "blamestorming," but suggesting that some of the efforts to self-police might be made quicker and more lasting by rogering up to somebody that can respond to "GFY!" with....

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5853/wellbye1.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, Templar, didn't catch your work until after.....