PDA

View Full Version : Eotech 512 coming loose?

TROPICS
05-19-11, 18:02
I purchased a new eotech 512 and finally got around to trying it out today. I ran 60 rounds with it and the thumbscrew started to back out on me. Do i need to use some loctite on this? I'm not really crazy about that. I tightened it just about as tight as i could get it using just my hands.

JSantoro
05-19-11, 18:17
60 rounds is absolutely far too few for it to be coming loose.

1. Nylock or blue locktite, tighten to hand-tight, then use a tool to get another 90 degrees out of it. Note the position of the screw-slot so you can tell visually if it back off.

2. Shoot a group to start zeroing (5 rounds, whatever your number of choice happens to be, more is better, for this aspect). This will shake up the gun, get it heated up so that metals are expanding/contracting.

3. Check tightness. Tighten if needed; you're not trying to turn the rail interface into a diamond, so do not Mongo it. Say, 1/4" increments at a time. Shoot another group.

4. Check. If still secure, complete your zero process, re-check. If still secure, place a witness mark on it so you can visually check where it's supposed to be in the future. If still not secure, repeat Step 3 until it stays, or....

Some folks have had success getting the things to stick better by shimming the rail with tin foil.

Take a look at this (scroll down past the logo to see the article): http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/12/mounting-tips-and-eotech-secret.html