PDA

View Full Version : Reloading using red dot sights....

Burdy
05-19-11, 19:18
I have been seriously considering some sort of RDS, either Trijicon RMR or the Deltapoint for my M&P. I have searched but cannot find any information or videos on people quickly racking the slide on a reload with these types of sights installed. I never use the slide stop. Do you have to cup your hand and rack behind the sight? Is it sturdy enough to push in front of the sight to rack the slide? When speed is the main concern..how do you go about the reload when running these types of sights?

badness
05-19-11, 19:23
if i was in a situation where i was defending myself....AND needing to reload, i don't think i would even worry about HOW i did it. If anything i'd actually use the rds to AID me in racking the slide by putting my hand over the top and using the web of my hand to push the rds backwards to rack the slide.

Burdy
05-19-11, 19:33
Understood. But I want to practice the same way I plan on reloading in any situation, so if pushing against the RDS is a long term detriment to the sight...I wouldn't want to do that.

F-Trooper05
05-19-11, 19:40
if i was in a situation where i was defending myself....AND needing to reload, i don't think i would even worry about HOW i did it. If anything i'd actually use the rds to AID me in racking the slide by putting my hand over the top and using the web of my hand to push the rds backwards to rack the slide.

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong, but are you suggesting not to worry about how you reload until you're in a gun fight?

wes007
05-19-11, 19:42
I know its unconventional but the slingshot method might work in your case

willowofwisp
05-19-11, 19:50
When i reload with my RMR i do it one of two ways, either hand over slide or I run my hand into the RMR which does the same thing, I don't normally run the slide release.

The RMR also is great when you need to reload one handed...I have racked my RMR off of my knee,belt,holster, mag carrier and boot..The RMR really is a beast..it has yet to shift zero. There are a lot of shooters who put more rounds downrange and have a ton more knowledge than I do and they recommend the RMR.

Decado
05-19-11, 20:03
I normally use the slide release during a slide lock reload. However I have racked the slide plenty in the short time I have had my Glock 17 equipped with a RMR. At my last range session I by accident slammed my Jeep door on to my pistol striking the RMR. The slam was hard enough to transfer paint from my Jeep to the hood of my RMR. No damage to the sight or shift in zero. The RMR is plenty rugged enough for weapon manipulations.

badness
05-19-11, 20:39
Sorry if I'm reading this wrong, but are you suggesting not to worry about how you reload until you're in a gun fight?

No. he mentioned if the sight will be sturdy enough if he used it to reload. If he was in a defensive situation, wouldn't really matter how he reloaded, even if the result of his reload method ended up knocking the rds off the gun. If you're in such a situation where you need to reload THAT QUICKLY, then you probably will be able to make an accurate enough shot with no sights at all.

On top of that, if you have to come up with some special ninja hand reload technique to get around the rds, i highly doubt you're even going to remember to do it that way when some psycho is charging you with a knife or sending bullets your way.

DocGKR
05-19-11, 20:45
I virtually always use the slide stop to release the slide, however, as noted, the RMR is definitely sturdy and can be used for one handed weapon manipulations, as well as for releasing the slide.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-19-11, 21:47
When i reload with my RMR i do it one of two ways, either hand over slide or I run my hand into the RMR which does the same thing, I don't normally run the slide release.

The RMR also is great when you need to reload one handed...I have racked my RMR off of my knee,belt,holster, mag carrier and boot..The RMR really is a beast..it has yet to shift zero. There are a lot of shooters who put more rounds downrange and have a ton more knowledge than I do and they recommend the RMR.

This ^^^, I karate chop the RMR on my M&P 9mm FS. My hand smacking it is nothing compared to the G's from recoil of the slide. It has to be the most fool proof way to trip the slide. No grip issues like with the sling shot, or even with the overhand grab method, which is how I used to work the slide. I was mainly running 1911s before this and that's how I run the M&P right now, though I'm going to see how I can run the slide stop on it, since it would be a bit faster- I think.

Decado
05-20-11, 05:47
This ^^^, I karate chop the RMR on my M&P 9mm FS. My hand smacking it is nothing compared to the G's from recoil of the slide. It has to be the most fool proof way to trip the slide. No grip issues like with the sling shot, or even with the overhand grab method, which is how I used to work the slide. I was mainly running 1911s before this and that's how I run the M&P right now, though I'm going to see how I can run the slide stop on it, since it would be a bit faster- I think.

That is the same way I rack the slide of my Glock 17 w/RMR if it needs to be done. Using any other grip on the slide seems awkward to me.