PDA

View Full Version : Nj Handgun purchasing?

Ak44
05-19-11, 23:41
Hey guys just wondering if yall could help me and explain how a NJ resident goes about purchasing a handgun? I got a buddy who is from there and doesn't know how to go about getting one and I'm from Md so I have no clue.

rubberneck
05-20-11, 11:33
Hey guys just wondering if yall could help me and explain how a NJ resident goes about purchasing a handgun? I got a buddy who is from there and doesn't know how to go about getting one and I'm from Md so I have no clue.

You apply to the state for a Firearms ID card. Once your FID is issued you apply for a permit to purchase a handgun (they can be done at the same time the first time around. After that all you need is the permit). They are good for 90 days and your CLEO has the ability to extend that for another 90 if you request it. Some do and some don't. Thanks to some insanely stupid politicians you are now only allowed to purchase one handgun a month. If I still lived there I would apply for six permits at a time. Some police chiefs have decided that there is a limit on the number of permits that can be issued at once but they are wrong.

Alex V
06-05-11, 17:37
You apply to the state for a Firearms ID card. Once your FID is issued you apply for a permit to purchase a handgun (they can be done at the same time the first time around. After that all you need is the permit). They are good for 90 days and your CLEO has the ability to extend that for another 90 if you request it. Some do and some don't. Thanks to some insanely stupid politicians you are now only allowed to purchase one handgun a month. If I still lived there I would apply for six permits at a time. Some police chiefs have decided that there is a limit on the number of permits that can be issued at once but they are wrong.

You are allowed to apply for the FID card and pistol purchase permit at the same time, you simply check both boxes at the top of the application. I did that, so did my mom, and my dad and you get the FID card the same day as a pistol purchase permit.

When I moved and applied to change address I had to do the same application process minus the letters of referral and finger printing. I applied for 3 permits at that time since you can only purchase one handgun in 30 days and they last 90 days. 3 x 30 = 90 lol. I let two laps but I got a G19 with the other one. Figured if I am filling out all the paperwork I may as well pay the $2 per purchase permit whether I use it or not.

Either way;
You can apply for both at the same time
They do expire in 90 days as said
You can only use one every 30 days.

Hope that helps

plaskon
03-17-12, 15:12
Whatcha gonna get? M&P R8 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765757_-1_757783_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y) is next on my list.