PDA

View Full Version : M16A4 Style Rifle – Colt or BCM

jdodd
05-20-11, 09:00
M16A4 Style Rifle – Colt or BCM

I have two primary options before me for my next build. I would like a m16a4 style rifle, but have a few road bumps being in a ban state.

Option 1) Colt MT6700
+ Colt Quality
+/- No muzzle device
-HBAR barrel profile

Option 2) BCM 20”
+ BCM Quality
- Lead time for parts (BCG / Lower)
-Requires a pinned brake and removal of bayonet lug.

The BCM will end up costing more with the extra work and shipping. I would have Jojo’s here in CT put on a a2 style brake and cut off the lug. The main problem I see with the colt is the HBAR and I am unsure about it having no muzzle device? I can always have it threaded whenever I move out of state but until then will it be a flamethrower?

2 cents?

-J

RAM Engineer
05-20-11, 09:54
I can always have it threaded whenever I move out of state but until then will it be a flamethrower?

No, it won't.

fp2000h
05-20-11, 18:25
Well, you're not buying a 20" barrel to lug around going places so weight shouldn't be too much of an issue. Go for the Colt. It's the easiest of the two to hassle with and you can always get the barrel threaded in the future. Plus, it's a Colt.

Don't get me wrong. I would probably buy a BCM before a Colt but in the scenario you describe it sounds like the Colt is more cost-effective. Get a BCM when you can have a removable muzzle device and a collapsing stock and bayo lug and all that. ;)

coryd
05-20-11, 18:55
Either gun will hold its value well so if you move in the future you can sell it and buy what you really want. That being said, I'd get whatever would be more affordable and less of a hassle to be ban state compliant. Sounds like Colt.

jdodd
05-20-11, 20:15
Will the KAC RAS fit over a HBAR profile? Im having trouble getting a straight answer.

Also, is the best place to order one direct from KAC as a blem?

-J

Displaced Texan
05-21-11, 07:49
Yes, the KAC M5 RAS will fit over the HBar profile.
I have one for my Colt MT6700.
Great rifle.

Cagemonkey
05-21-11, 08:55
M16A4 Style Rifle – Colt or BCM

I have two primary options before me for my next build. I would like a m16a4 style rifle, but have a few road bumps being in a ban state.

Option 1) Colt MT6700
+ Colt Quality
+/- No muzzle device
-HBAR barrel profile

Option 2) BCM 20”
+ BCM Quality
- Lead time for parts (BCG / Lower)
-Requires a pinned brake and removal of bayonet lug.

The BCM will end up costing more with the extra work and shipping. I would have Jojo’s here in CT put on a a2 style brake and cut off the lug. The main problem I see with the colt is the HBAR and I am unsure about it having no muzzle device? I can always have it threaded whenever I move out of state but until then will it be a flamethrower?

2 cents?

-J
I had a BCM A4 upper with a KAC RAS. Just sold it. I'd go with the BCM. Have a nice A2 type brake permed and modify the bayonet luck (It doesn't have to be removed. Just deactivated. Look at ADCO's website). If you move to a Free State you can replace the brake with an A2 FS.

Sciuirse Morrigna
05-22-11, 11:31
I'd go with the BCM. The Gov't profile barrel balances much better, IMO.

Eurodriver
05-22-11, 11:58
BCM of course
http://imageshack.us/m/156/690/1002092f.jpg

No me gusta HBAR.

11B101ABN
05-22-11, 14:26
I'd go with the BCM. The Gov't profile barrel balances much better, IMO.

Agreed. Also, Knight's Armament is selling factory seconds of thier M5 RAS for about 150.00 an excellent deal.

masakari
05-22-11, 14:52
BCM! Carrying or even shouldering an HBAR 20" would suck. Plus, the muzzle brake is a plus.

TOrrock
05-22-11, 15:37
Please do not keep quoting assholes, it makes thread clean up a bitch.

duece71
05-22-11, 15:47
I have an MT6400, bought after the sunset. I had the MB removed and replaced with an A2. No big deal, you can always get the brake removed if you ever move to a free state. This is a win win either way. Good Luck.

C-grunt
05-22-11, 17:09
Templar..... Copy.

OP... Coming from someone who has owned a Colt Hbar in the past, go with the BCM with their govt profile. Under Colt is very nice but way front heavy.