PDA

View Full Version : Guys in ban states, tell me about mags in your state

rob_s
05-20-11, 12:46
I wanted this to be separate from the mag discussion.

I have a few that I'd be up for selling to someone in a ban state. Not looking to gouge, and not looking to get gouged, so tell me the going price. Have some used and some NIW.

How is preban determined? Assumed that no date code = preban?

Bring me up to speed on the finer points or anything I'm missing.

GTifosi
05-20-11, 12:53
For NY, no date stamp, or dates that are prior to 9/94 are acceptable.

Price seems to go more along the lines of region rather than an all encompassing fixed rate regardless of local when its folks in a ban state trying to sell to others in the same ban state.
EG: those near a military base are more abundantly available while down toward places like NYC they are closer to hens teeth.

You might see them for $20 up to around $30 depending on condition and greed level of the seller.
Lowest I've seen recently was $18 shipped or $15 FTF and most expensive was $35 + shipping.

DMR
05-20-11, 13:02
Rob

It's preety gray in NY. The law basicly follows the old AWB verbage. An un-marked mag is generaly considered to be pre-94, unless it's obviously manufactured after 94, like say a Mag-Pul or a company that didn't make mags prior to 94. Same if I had hi-caps for an M&P 9mm, they might be un-marked, but are violations.

I do not believe their have been any diffinative court rulings either way. In state pricing also varies with locations. I'm currently considering getting some Orlites from Fulton Armory at $19.95 a pop. I ordered too late when they had a HUGE sale last year. Anything over that and I wouldn't bite. Less than new Post Ban say $12 and I'm sure you would find plenty of takers. At $8 I'd likely buy you out.
Due to some aspects I my job's I'm more careful about purchasing clearly Pre-Ban or compliant gear then some others. Some sort of verification that the mags are Pre-94 is there for very helpful as the burdan of proof will be on the owner if it ever becomes an issue.

One of our LEO's should be on soon for a better expliantion of the legal side.

I didn't think about including new in wrappers with the mfg date code. I still have several spares in that condition and I would pay $20 maybe more for those.

royal
05-20-11, 13:05
I can speak only to price as I live in MA and pick up pre-ban USGI mags when the opportunity presents itself. If I tried to explain what constitutes "pre-ban" based on how I understand it -- I would surely be shot down rather quickly based on the brain trust here.

12-14 dollars (shipped) per 'good condition' mag is widely considered a great price. I've not seen NIW for this price but I'm sure some have.

15-19 dollars (shipped) per 'good condition' mag is widely considered a 'fair' price. I've seen a few NIW in this range and they get snatched up fast.

20+ dollars (shipped) usually stays on the market for a few days/weeks until those desperate enough buy them up.

To put it into perspective for "market rate" I just paid 20 dollars (shipped) per mag recently for stamped/dated 91/92 USGI mags with Magpul followers already installed. Stamped/dated mags usually go first and (for obvious reasons) are harder to find.

Hope I added some value at least. With that said, I'd be willing to buy a few NIW stamped/pre-bans if you have them to spare :D

30 cal slut
05-20-11, 13:22
I get the impression that portions of New York state are very aggressive (NYC & Long Island) with respect to enforcement of that state's mag and AWB bans.

To be safe, I've been acquiring date stamped pre-ban GI mags for NY and MA. Top price I've paid for new in wrapper date-stamped GI mags was about $25, and the most liquid market is over at TOS.

For non-residents, handguns are verboten in NY, so for me handgun mags are a non-issue.

In MA, you can get a Class A non-resident license to carry, the mag ban does not seem to apply to non-residents for handgun mags, provided the non-resident has the proper license.

I don't shoot in NJ, and mostly drive through that state to train in VA and NC. While FOPA is unclear on mags in ban states, I lock my mags up with my guns. Out of sight and out of mind, and I've been advised by NJ LEO that a search warrant is required to search your car in NJ.

There are few outfits who will convert 30 round PMAGS into ten or fifteen rounders, FYI.

Alex V
05-20-11, 13:31
I don't shoot in NJ, and mostly drive through that state to train in VA and NC. While FOPA is unclear on mags in ban states, I lock my mags up with my guns. Out of sight and out of mind, and I've been advised by NJ LEO that a search warrant is required to search your car in NJ.

There are few outfits who will convert 30 round PMAGS into ten or fifteen rounders, FYI.

NJ has no clause for Pre-Ban mags, simply anything over 15 is a no-go.

Yes, there are a few placed that convert PMags to 15 rounds, prices vary from $17 to $25

TOMTOM
05-20-11, 14:29
CA is stupid.

It is not illegal to posses or use hi-capacity magazines (in a legally configured weapon, of course).

It is illegal however to manufacture, import, or sell hi-capacity magazines after 1/1/2000. There are a few exceptions (LEO).

If you possessed hi-cap magazines before 1/1/2000 in CA, you can rebuild worn parts with newer ones (PMAG, for example). As long as you don't end up with more magazines than you started with.

It is not illegal to own dissasembled hi-caps AKA 'rebuild kits'. Just don't assemble them into high (standard for most of you guys) capacity magazines, since manufacturing is illegal.

Oh, The statute of limitations for charges of manufacturing a hi-capacity magazine is 3-years.

Very difficult (impossible) to enforce, but those are our laws. Im sure i missed something, but thats a simple run through.

b_k
05-20-11, 14:36
CA is stupid.

It is not illegal to posses or use hi-capacity magazines (in a legally configured weapon, of course).

It is illegal however to manufacture, import, or sell hi-capacity magazines after 1/1/2000. There are a few exceptions (LEO).

If you possessed hi-cap magazines before 1/1/2000 in CA, you can rebuild worn parts with newer ones (PMAG, for example). As long as you don't end up with more magazines than you started with.

It is not illegal to own dissasembled hi-caps AKA 'rebuild kits'. Just don't assemble them into high (standard for most of you guys) capacity magazines, since manufacturing is illegal.

Oh, The statute of limitations for charges of manufacturing a hi-capacity magazine is 3-years.

Very difficult (impossible) to enforce, but those are our laws. Im sure i missed something, but thats a simple run through.

More info here: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Large-capacity_magazine_restrictions

newyork
05-20-11, 14:38
No date stamp is usually the norm. Obviously as previously stated a Pmag or any mag produced by a company that didn't manufacture before the AWB, is a no no. About $20 for most.
How many do you have and what condition? Magpul followers or standard?

MassMark
05-20-11, 14:42
Rob,

I'm also a MA resident and can pretty much confirm what royal has posted. The exception to the rule seems to be some FFL's who mark the prices up to near-insane levels. It's a free-market, but I always feel a pang for the uneducated consumer. I had a customer come to the gun counter - excited about his pre-ban Colt purchase. During the conversation, he told me that he did not care for the triangular hand guards and had a newer set put on. I asked what the dealer gave him in trade for his hand guards and he said: "Nothing - he charged me $45.00 for the round ones". Then I asked him if he needed any mags and he went on to say that he bought two USGI's at $49.99 a piece. They were thrashed. There was also a dealer selling C-Products as pre-ban... :confused:

When I was lining up mags for buyers here, the going rate for NIW LaBelles was between $17 and $20.00. I found a few Colts for $25 shipped. The average for used mags was $15.00, but a member here generously sold me some Okays for what averaged to just over $10.00 per. Colt 20's are in the $15.00 range as well....

EzGoingKev
05-20-11, 18:09
In MA, you can get a Class A non-resident license to carry, the mag ban does not seem to apply to non-residents for handgun mags, provided the non-resident has the proper license.

Are you sure about that? I am a MA resident and I know that non-residents get some waivers on some of the stuff, such as bringing certain non-MA compliant weapons in the state but I thought the magazine law was pretty much all the way across the board with the exceptions being for LEO's.

As for what I do for mags, anything with a date stamp on that is after the ban I stay away from. Also, anything that someone should reasonably know was manufactured after the ban I stay away from. An example of this would be say a 6.8 SPC magazine. Even if it does not have a date on it, 6.8 SPC magazines were not being produced prior to the ban date.

I take the mags and strip them down. I then clean and inspect the parts. I scuff them up and spray them with some spray can truck bed liner to give them a surface I can get some grip on. I replace the follower with a Magpul follower and the bottom plate with a ranger plate. I then run a full mags through them to make sure there are no issues.

The best sources are to find them online, in or out of state. Forget buying them from a local gun shop because in MA they all pretty much suck.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-20-11, 18:24
DMR pretty much nailed it if you ask me.

I dont see the need to buy pre ban mags at 30$ to 60$ a pop. I just built all my rifles on pre ban lowers and run 13$ Pmags or free GI mags. If its pre ban there are no worries.

As far as price goes I live in the Rochester area and I have seen guys pay upwards of 60$ for one mag and if is is COLT OMG 100$ easy. It's crazy, most shops wont even sell the mags as its like DMR stated a gray area no one realy knows for some reason.

Jon

TheCracker
05-20-11, 18:32
Glad I live in Texas!

nowayout
05-20-11, 19:08
A lot of good info here so I will just get to the prices I see and pay.

I just picked up some new/unused not in wrapper 30rd colts for $15 shipped each.

I never pay more than $20 even though a lot of people that live in NY try to sell them for that.

If you wanna be a good guy (which we know you are) try to sell them to different people so everyone gets a chance instead of one person hoarding the whole lot. For a price around $10 (cheap) to around $18 plus shipping. Price them so whoever is buying isn't buying to resell them.

I see it all the time when I'm trying to score a couple, one guy usually takes the whole lot then ends up selling them for more down the road.

GTifosi
05-20-11, 19:37
I dont see the need to buy pre ban mags at 30$ to 60$ a pop. I just built all my rifles on pre ban lowers and run 13$ Pmags or free GI mags. If its pre ban there are no worries.

If you are thinking a pre~ban receiver allows you to use a post ban magazine legally in NYS, you are incorrect.
They are seperate entities covered under thier own description and section in the penal law.

It is a class D felony to manufacture, transport, dispose of, or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device, which N.Y. Penal Law § 265.00(23) defines as "a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device" manufactured after September 13, 1994, "that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition. One exception to this is a magazine that was manufactured before September 13, 1994. Another exception is an "attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition". This means a tube similar to the magazine on a shotgun but on a .22 rimfire firearm.

A post ban mag in any receiver regardless of that receiver being pre ban is a felony as is possession of a post 94 high cap mag
without even having a rifle to put it in.

MassMark
05-20-11, 20:06
If you are thinking a pre~ban receiver allows you to use a post ban magazine legally in NYS, you are incorrect.
They are seperate entities covered under thier own description and section in the penal law.

It is a class D felony to manufacture, transport, dispose of, or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device, which N.Y. Penal Law § 265.00(23) defines as "a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device" manufactured after September 13, 1994, "that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition. One exception to this is a magazine that was manufactured before September 13, 1994. Another exception is an "attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition". This means a tube similar to the magazine on a shotgun but on a .22 rimfire firearm.

A post ban mag in any receiver regardless of that receiver being pre ban is a felony as is possession of a post 94 high cap mag
without even having a rifle to put it in.

Works the same way here in MA - I thought that seemed a little off. Possession of a magazine over 10-rounds manufactured after 1994 is a felony here as well...

As to hoarding then marking up, I eliminated that by linking buyers to sellers and limited lots to 10...It worked out pretty well.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-20-11, 20:17
Well your right I'm wrong thanks for telling me

GTifosi
05-20-11, 20:26
Clickme (http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm) to jump to the NYS penal law online directly to section 265.

265.00, section (definitions #23) and 265.02 (criminal possession) are what you are after AFA NYS.

GTifosi
05-20-11, 20:29

Glad to be of service.

DMR
05-20-11, 20:41

As far as price goes I live in the Rochester area and I have seen guys pay upwards of 60$ for one mag and if is is COLT OMG 100$ easy. It's crazy, most shops wont even sell the mags as its like DMR stated a gray area no one realy knows for some reason.

Jon

We hit on this in another thread on the topic. Pre-Ban mags are legal. Post Ban are not. I think my advise at the time was to get them out of the state, unless you're an LEO or in some sort of status with the .mil.

A Pre-Ban lower allows you to have all those evil fetures like a collapsible stock, but every P-MAG, ect, on hand is a felony, plain and simple, nothing Gray about it.

The mom and pop shops I have in my area for the most part don't have a real clue as to pre-ban/post ban is. One shop had a Pre-Ban Norinco AK with a Bulgarian poly mag in it in the shop AND a NYS Trooper in some sort of plain cloths assignment. I was talking to the dealer about the AK and he told me it was all Pre-Ban to include the mag. After talking to Templer here I figured out the mag was actualy Post Ban, but is unmarked with a date stamp. The Trooper didn't have a clue. That said if he was to spot it in a traffic stop it might ruin my day.

LOTS of people takes chances because of bad advise, often recieved at their local gun shop.

newyork
05-21-11, 00:54

Jon

Just because you have a preban lower, doesn't mean you can have 30 rd Pmags. It relates to you being able to have a bayo lug, flash hider and collapsible stock. Don't spread the wrong info. You can't use new mags just because your lower is preban

m1a_scoutguy
05-21-11, 01:08

WOW,,I was wondering the same thing myself !!! I didn't think PMags were GTG in NY no matter what Lower you had !!! Glad thats cleared up,,:) I am a good Ole NYer myself,,so I deal with this on a regular basis & it stinks,,LOL !!! Anyways,,,I have a ton of Mags,,Most are NOT Date stamped,,and were purchased Online from people selling them as Pre-Ban ! I always take them apart,,clean,,look inside to see if I can see Stamps/Number,,etc,,if nothing,,they get New Springs,,New Magpul Follower and put into the rotation !!! I am pretty selective (Cheap) when it comes to Mags,,,,I Never pay over $15 bucks for any mag,,just me I guess,,I have bought a few from Local Gun Shops & some were NIW,,but they were the Steel Taiwanese Mags & the Shop wanted $15 bucks,,plus Tax,,,so I guess I did pay a bit over $15,,LOL !!! I like the Steel mags,,,they hold up good for me,,they do weight a bit more,,,,but I like how they drop free !! I go in spurts,,,I have not bought any mags in a few months,,,but I did get about a Dozen or more from some Great guys from this place over the Winter,,but it seems like they go real fast on here !!! I have bought a ton over at TOS,,just seems like more pop up over there !!! I'm in pretty good shape right now,,,,but I'm sure I will get another bug sometime soon and be on the L(.)(.)k Out for some !!! If the price and timing is right,,I will jump on some,,,always looking I guess !!
I see alot of mags at gunshows,,but most are C Product Mags,,being sold off as Pre-Ban,,,,I just want to go over and slap the shit out of the guys passing them off as pre-ban mags,,some real douche bags !! It kills me when people buy them and walk away a Instant Felon,:eek:,,not good !! Ya can find some decent mags at Shows,,but most are at least $20 bucks,,,or more,,,so I normally pass.

gunguy98
05-21-11, 04:56
I'm in Western NY, my local "friendly" gun shop sells pre-ban 30 round GI mags for$49-59 dollars! and the kicker is people still buy them.
I don't get it? Most of the gun shows around here you can still find them for $20-25.
I think part of it is those people that buy them at that price want instant gratification with the brand new DPMS or Bushmaster they just bought for $995.99:rolleyes:

SOW_0331
05-21-11, 06:07
CA is stupid.

Is this info correct? If I took my 30rd mags to a range, would BATF have a hard on for me?

This is of course that I am firing through the mags with a rifle equipped with a bullet button, but as long as I keep that feature on there, it doesn't matter if I possess or shoot high cap mags?

Bowser
05-21-11, 06:13
Is this info correct? If I took my 30rd mags to a range, would BATF have a hard on for me?

This is of course that I am firing through the mags with a rifle equipped with a bullet button, but as long as I keep that feature on there, it doesn't matter if I possess or shoot high cap mags?

Firstly, the ATF could give **** all about your mags in CA because it's a State law. Secondly, you CANNOT use your LEGALLY owned "hi-cap" magazines in a MAGAZINE-LOCKED weapon. If you had a registered AW or a FEATURELESS weapon, then you would be able to.

SOW_0331
05-21-11, 06:17
Firstly, the ATF could give **** all about your mags in CA because it's a State law. Secondly, you CANNOT use your LEGALLY owned "hi-cap" magazines in a MAGAZINE-LOCKED weapon. If you had a registered AW or a FEATURELESS weapon, then you would be able to.

That confirms that everything I have heard from the local LEO's I have talked to was wrong, and that the Internet can contain some terrible info if you don't go to the right sources. Thank you kindly!

trinydex
05-21-11, 09:55
CA is stupid.

A small detail thatsis related, you can only use high cap rifle mags in featureless build or registered assault weapon. Using them in a magazine lock build would turn that build into an illegal assault weapon.

trinydex
05-21-11, 10:03

Ca doj would be your problem.

rsilvers
05-21-11, 11:07
OK mags are date stamped whether you see it or not. It is on the inside. I use date-stamped post ban mag bodies to rebuild old mags. I just use the pre ban floor plate. You can rebuild mags with new bodies.

There is no exemption for out of state visitors.

As for the going rate - in a crappy gun store it could be a lot. But there are plenty of people who seem willing to even trade their well used preban mags for brand new mags. So whatever new mags cost is about what an old preban is worth to me. At least for AR mags.

Now my Walther P99 mags I paid $125 each but they are rare as true prebans.

m1a_scoutguy
05-21-11, 11:35
I'm in Western NY, my local "friendly" gun shop sells pre-ban 30 round GI mags for$49-59 dollars! and the kicker is people still buy them.
I don't get it? Most of the gun shows around here you can still find them for $20-25.
I think part of it is those people that buy them at that price want instant gratification with the brand new DPMS or Bushmaster they just bought for $995.99:rolleyes:

I know there is a place around Rochester,,(Webster NY I think) called Allstar Tactical,,& they had Pre-Ban mags for around $22 bucks,,,which from a Shop is a "Fair" price. Not sure if they have any left or not !! You guys out that way can look them up on Facebook and see what they have,,if any !!

"How is preban determined? Assumed that no date code = preban?" I forgot to mention how I look for or determine Pre-Ban,,,I guess some of it is Faith in the Seller,,:)When they say or advertize as Pre-Bans. Which is why I always really check them out for any markings,,inside or out !! I actually had a buddy that bought some "Pre-Ban" Mags and after cleaning and a good scrubbing,,(he was gonna refinish them) he found Date Stamps on them that were Not Pre-Ban !!! He is LEO,,so it was not that big a deal,,but still kinda sucked that the seller did that !! Anyways,,,I always look for Labelle,,OK,,Adventure,,etc & like I said in my other post,,I like the Steel Taiwanese mags.

Ed L.
05-21-11, 12:21
In New York City & the 5 borroughs, any longarm mag in excess of 5 rounds is illegal. This is different from New York State law.

a1fabweld
05-21-11, 12:32
Our mag laws in Ca. are pretty much useless & unenforceable. You can have a standard cap mag, even with a post ban date, call it a rebuilt mag because your old pre ban mag was damaged, & the law can't make you provide proof of when it was purchased.

TOMTOM
05-21-11, 13:30
That confirms that everything I have heard from the local LEO's I have talked to was wrong, and that the Internet can contain some terrible info if you don't go to the right sources. Thank you kindly!

A small detail thatsis related, you can only use high cap rifle mags in featureless build or registered assault weapon. Using them in a magazine lock build would turn that build into an illegal assault weapon.

I guess i should have been a little more specific. when i said "in a legally configured weapon" I meant registered AW or Featureless. Sorry guys.

Using 10+ magazine in a maglocked rifle is a Felony.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-21-11, 13:37
Just because you have a preban lower, doesn't mean you can have 30 rd Pmags. It relates to you being able to have a bayo lug, flash hider and collapsible stock. Don't spread the wrong info. You can't use new mags just because your lower is preban

pretty sure I already admited I was wrong but thanks for bring it up again

naloxone
05-22-11, 01:22
No dog in the fight, but if you're "not looking to gouge and not looking to get gouged", check what a similar magazine is selling for new/used and set your price accordingly. Its not as thought USGI mags can't be found anymore.

Redline
05-22-11, 03:53
NJ has no clause for Pre-Ban mags, simply anything over 15 is a no-go.

Yes, there are a few placed that convert PMags to 15 rounds, prices vary from $17 to $25

I would be careful with these converted or blocked Pmags in NJ if they were originally over 15 rds and blocked to 15 to make them legal. I know originally (shortly after the AW and hi cap mag law hit in 1990) we were allowed to simply block a mag with a piece of wood, put the floor plate back on and call it a day.

But recently they changed it so that the mag has to be "permanently blocked". To me that means welding them shut if they are metal, or if they are the plastic kind, making it so that when u open them to try to unblock them, you can't do it unless u have to break the mag making it unusable.

rob_s
05-22-11, 07:59
No dog in the fight, but if you're "not looking to gouge and not looking to get gouged", check what a similar magazine is selling for new/used and set your price accordingly. Its not as thought USGI mags can't be found anymore.

I think that's silly.

supply and demand. Whatever the market price is, is what the market price is. If people locally are selling pre-ban magazines for $20/ea used and I offer the magazines at $11/ea, there's a pretty good chance that whoever buys them is just looking to flip them. By the same token if the going rate is $10/ea then that is the going rate.

I have a commodity that is worth something to people in certain markets. It's downright communist to just give them away.

I also want to make sure whatever I'm doing is legal, both for them and for me, and to understand what those in occupied states are going through a little bit better.

ssgjason
05-22-11, 10:58
I agree 100%. And i am glad you brought this up!
I have about 20 Colt 20 round mags with alloy followers that I would like to sell and have wanted to sell them to guys who need them, not flippers.
I just "sold" two pre-ban G19 mags to a guy who ordered me three new G19 mags and had them sent to my house...

I think that's silly.

supply and demand. Whatever the market price is, is what the market price is. If people locally are selling pre-ban magazines for $20/ea used and I offer the magazines at $11/ea, there's a pretty good chance that whoever buys them is just looking to flip them. By the same token if the going rate is $10/ea then that is the going rate.

I have a commodity that is worth something to people in certain markets. It's downright communist to just give them away.

I also want to make sure whatever I'm doing is legal, both for them and for me, and to understand what those in occupied states are going through a little bit better.

m1a_scoutguy
05-22-11, 11:23
Here are a couple examples Rob,,from guys that Sold Mags to me from this Fourm !! I bought 6 Like New Mags from a guys for $85 bucks shipped,,and they were really like new,,,VERY nice !! Then a few weeks after that,,I bought 6 30rd mags,,finish was very little to none,,but all work and function fine & also 2, 20rd mags that were similar in shape and finish in the same group,,but also work fine,,drop free,,etc,,,I also paid $85 bucks for that group shipped !!! So here are just two examples of my experience with buying Pre-Bans & I would say these were Good/Fair deals,,I was happy with the end results !! I also have bought groups of 10/12 mags at a time in similar shape for less,,but I will normally get at least 1 mag that won't drop free,,or is kinda twisted or tweaked a bit,,,but then I normally pay $10/$12 bucks for mags when I grab that many at a time !! So for me when it comes to mags,,,I watch & look and if a deal pops up I will take a look !! I guess my advatage is,,I don't really need any,,,but if "Good" deals pop up,& I have some extra $$$,I will jump on it !!! ;);)

rob_s
05-22-11, 11:50
Whatever I do it will likely be a lot sale with all or nothing. I'm afraid that if I split them up I'll get the "pick me out he best ones" thing and I don't want to get sucked into that vortex.

I'll probably try listing them as a lot based on the price info from this these and see if they move. Just want to find all that I hunk I have to do it all at once.

Eurodriver
05-22-11, 12:05
You guys are lucky.

You want confusion? Move to Hawaii.

High Capacity Pistol Magazines are banned. No grandfathering either. They're illegal. Period.

The law says "any magazine that is capable of being used in a pistol".

We all know there are AR15 pistols, and 10/22 pistols, and all sorts of other pistols.

However these are all banned in Hawaii under its "Assault Pistols" law.

So do the high capacity magazine laws apply or not? Technically a 30rd AR magazine can be used in a pistol. However, the pistols that use them are illegal in this state.

District Attorneys for most of the islands except Oahu have stated they will not prosecute someone using a high capacity magazine in a rifle but I don't live on those islands and I wouldn't take their word for it anyway.

To make it even more confusing, some gun stores sell 30rd mags, others won't.

mxnjd
05-22-11, 13:08
You guys are lucky.

You want confusion? Move to Hawaii.

High Capacity Pistol Magazines are banned. No grandfathering either. They're illegal. Period.

The law says "any magazine that is capable of being used in a pistol".

We all know there are AR15 pistols, and 10/22 pistols, and all sorts of other pistols.

However these are all banned in Hawaii under its "Assault Pistols" law.

So do the high capacity magazine laws apply or not? Technically a 30rd AR magazine can be used in a pistol. However, the pistols that use them are illegal in this state.

District Attorneys for most of the islands except Oahu have stated they will not prosecute someone using a high capacity magazine in a rifle but I don't live on those islands and I wouldn't take their word for it anyway.

To make it even more confusing, some gun stores sell 30rd mags, others won't.

I feel for you, man. CA isn't a whole lot better. Being LEO helps, but not that much.

Jordan

Redline
05-22-11, 13:26
NJ is very bad. No grandfathering here either. Anything over 15 rds is illegal. And it is also illegal to dispose of hi cap mags. So, if u had them when the law went into effect in 1990 and wanted to throw them out so u won't get in trouble, that is also a crime.

anto
05-22-11, 19:42
CA states that importation, construction, selling / offering for sale is illegal.
Buying, possession & use is NOT illegal. Magazines shipped disassembled, as a "rebuild kit" is 100% legal. Date stamps do not matter, rebuilding your preban high capacity mags from new production mags is legal, parts from the old mag are NOT required in the new one. Proof of ownership before the ban is not required.

Ex. You can rebuild an old 30rd USGI mag with 100% PMAG parts. Generally you can't have more hicaps than you started with.

1.Cannot use 11+ rounders in a Maglocked rifle
2.30rd magaines are legal in a non-pistol grip weapon

Some people have high cap mags from pistols that are made post-ban (XD, M&P). Theoretically, there was no way for you to acquire this after the ban, but use is 100% legal. There are exceptions to this however, such as purchasing from an armored car company, finding, etc.

drrufo
08-19-11, 18:34
Quote:Using 10+ magazine in a maglocked rifle is a Felony.
I have a registered Assault weapon in Calif. I do not take any of my many 10+ round mags to the range when I go with my son and his off list lowered rifle, I own two off list lowers myself so I have several 10 rounders.
I have rebuilt all my mags with Magpul followers and CP product plates but I am thinking I am going to use Magpul ranger plates for my dedicated 300 Blkout mags. Just want to be able to id them in a hurry if I need to.

jet80tv
08-21-11, 15:15
Just to clarify as I saw no mention of this but I was under the impression that in "ban states" you could not utilize "hi-cap" mags in a post ban lower? Any input?

EzGoingKev
08-21-11, 15:25
Just to clarify as I saw no mention of this but I was under the impression that in "ban states" you could not utilize "hi-cap" mags in a post ban lower? Any input?
In MA it is all prebans (unless LEO). It doesn't matter if the firearm is pre or post ban.

You do have to have the high capacity license though.

GTifosi
08-21-11, 15:48
Just to clarify as I saw no mention of this but I was under the impression that in "ban states" you could not utilize "hi-cap" mags in a post ban lower?

In NY as posted a couple pages back:
The magazine law is seperate from the receiver law.

You can put a pre-ban mag in a pre or post ban receiver
You cannot put a post-ban mag in a pre or post ban reciever

*this does not neccisarily apply to New York city, as they are in a little world all thier own and have rules different than the rest of the state because they're special.
Special Ed that is.