PDA

View Full Version : KAC SR15 E3 or SCAR 16?

LtNovakUSA
05-20-11, 13:00
Greetings all

Have recently been researching a new carbine to supplement my 2 Noveske 14.5s, and have narrowed it down to either the SR-15 or the SCAR 16. Both seem to be good rifles, and will fit my desires of having another carbine that i can put alot of rounds through without malfunction. I like the SR-15, I'm familiar with the AR system, the bolt design looks great, has ambi features, etc. Would also go great with my EMC:D. I like the SCAR because, I would like to get experience on another carbine and wouldnt mind having a piston platform (havent yet been sold on the AR piston), and seems to be a pretty good to go platform. I'm going to se up the gun mainly as a general purpose carbine, probably with a Aimpoint T-1 as the optic. Would love to hear some suggestions from the great minds out there to push me to one side of the fence or another.

Fr3EK
05-20-11, 13:14
Both are great, but I prefer the SR15. They have more parts commonality with your other ARs and if something were to happen (doubt it) it will be easier to obtain parts for the SR15, while the SR15 has a proprietary bolt, another AR bolt will work in a pinch while you get another e3 bolt.

The Scar is nice for sure, but if something happens to it you will have to send it back to FN for them to fix. There are not any spare parts available at this given time and whatever parts you do find will come at a premium.

I hope that helps some.

Boss Hogg
05-20-11, 13:22
Have you considered the Next Generations Arms X7? You already have 2 Noveske 14.5, but I really do believe that the X7 has potential to be the finest AR variant on the market. An absolute joy to shoot and the machining is unbelievable.

I think of the two you mentioned, the SR-15 is the winner.

zacbol
05-20-11, 13:47
I own an SR15 and a Scar 17S. I've also fired the Scar 16 and still kind of have an itch to own one.

I'm guessing based on past observance most of the posters will recommend the SR15, which is an outstanding rifle, based on the longer handguard, more parts availability, etc. The only thing is, as fantastic as the SR15 is, it's still an AR15 and you have two of those. I was excited to get the SR15 and I think it's better (in most ways) than my Colt, but it wasn't quite the revelation I was expecting based on what I'd read (I couldn't find one to shoot before I bought mine).

All that said, if you're going to get a Scar I'd get the .308 as it'd also make a great companion to your EMC, just in a different way. Only problem is spare mags, but they can be found with a bit of persistence.

mikeahe
05-20-11, 14:38
SR15

Mike
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Magic_Salad0892
05-20-11, 15:00
SR-15. I don't consider the NGA X7 anywhere near it yet, but I'm hoping for that gun.

The FNH SCAR 16S would be my second choice.

fhpchris
05-20-11, 15:05
SR15

-Chris

TonyTacoma
05-20-11, 15:20
SR15 id great, but you have two AR platform rifles, get the SCAR baby. They are badass.

af_tt
05-20-11, 15:28
There are a couple of outstanding SCAR threads on this site. That weapon is a fine machine! That being said the SR-15 is another great rifle! Stoner worked with KAC to change things that he felt should've been incorporated the first time around... that says something about the tech going into it.

It's probably going to be a toss up 6 one way half a dozen the other. It would come down to cost and availability if I had to make your decision right now.

Dave_M
05-20-11, 15:34
The only thing is, as fantastic as the SR15 is, it's still an AR15 and you have two of those.

Yup. I was going back and forth between the two but bought the SCAR because it, "wasn't another AR"

militarymoron
05-20-11, 15:36
same topic already discussed here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60004