PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 or Pro

acaixguard
05-20-11, 16:51
I got to try out an M&P9 Pro today, and I must say that I was impressed. I'm definitely going to get one of these now.

Only thing is, I was originally considering the regular M&P9. My positive impression today was based on the Pro version though, so if I buy a standard size, will I likely be disappointed at all?

Any real reason one should go with the Pro version?

Thanks in advance!

Sensei
05-20-11, 17:00
I suppose that it depends on what you plan to do with this pistol. As it stands now, the regular M&P9 with APEX DCAEK and RAM is excellent for carry. I've not tried their CAEK but I've heard good things. Fast forward another 3-4 months and the new APEX barrels will likely be ready. With these quality aftermarket accessories, I have a hard time feeling the need for the Pro.

acaixguard
05-20-11, 19:15
I would use for CCW sometimes (when out of state), but it'll mostly be for range and training.

Another quick followup...can you get the M&P9 WITH a thumb safety, but WITHOUT a magazine safety?

beastfrog
05-21-11, 06:29
Another quick followup...can you get the M&P9 WITH a thumb safety, but WITHOUT a magazine safety?

Easy enough to remove the mag safety if you don't want it.

Hmac
05-21-11, 06:33
Only thing is, I was originally considering the regular M&P9. My positive impression today was based on the Pro version though, so if I buy a standard size, will I likely be disappointed at all?

Thanks in advance!

I bought the 9L because I wanted the longer barrel but didn't want to pay for a trigger I was going to upgrade with DCAEK/RAM anyway.

MRevolutionIX
05-21-11, 23:57
I got to try out an M&P9 Pro today, and I must say that I was impressed. I'm definitely going to get one of these now.

Thanks in advance!

By reading your post, it sounds like you were set on purchasing a full size M&P (4.25" barrel) and shot the Pro model (5" barrel) and probably liked the trigger better then the standard model and maybe even preferred the fiber optic sights. S&W actually makes a 4.25" Pro series M&Ps. The only real difference (except barrel length of course) is the 4.25" Pro models come with night sights. If this pistol is going to play any defensive roles, I would recommend the night sights over the fiber optics anyway. But if this pistol is going to be used strictly for competition, I would go with the 5" Pro.

Check out the 4.25" Pro here \/
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766344_-1_757895_757775_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y