PDA

View Full Version : Swarovski Z6i 1-6 x 24 "EE"?

Ace1400
05-21-11, 00:03
I do not have significant experience using an optic of any kind on my AR. I recently purchased a Swarovski Z6i 1-6 x 24 scope with the circle dot reticle after much reading and research. I purchased the scope as a DEMO from a very reputable online optics vendor at an excellent price - still incredibly expensive, but I have learned the "cry once" principle.

The scope arrived, and it turned out to be the Z6i 1-6 x24 EE (extended eye relief) model, not the regular model. It was not listed as such, so I probably can send it back for a refund. It is a gorgeous scope, it looks brand new, and I really like the reticle (with the illumination the circle dot looks akin to an EOtech) The illumination is true daylight bright, and the illumination switch is perfect, with instant on to the previously set illumination level.

The specs for the EE version are similar to the regular one:
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/us_rifle-scope_z6-z6i_1-6x24-ee/technical-data
vs
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/us_rifle-scope_z6-z6i_1-6x24/technical-data

The main difference is the eye relief 4.72" instead of 3.74", and a narrower field of view, 100' instead of 127' at 100 yards (still more than a short dot).

I don't shoot nose to charging handle, and it seems to be ok to mount it far enough forward (flat top with full length rail) to not interfere with cheek weld. I will be using it for perhaps a carbine class/fun etc.

Is there any reason the extra eye relief/more forward position would be a problem? It is a substantial savings over retail, so I would definitely like for it to work out. I was planning on using a Larue LT-104 mount, but their extended eye relief mount (LT-139) may work better. Thanks for any insight.

Ace

Alaskapopo
05-21-11, 17:13
I do not have significant experience using an optic of any kind on my AR. I recently purchased a Swarovski Z6i 1-6 x 24 scope with the circle dot reticle after much reading and research. I purchased the scope as a DEMO from a very reputable online optics vendor at an excellent price - still incredibly expensive, but I have learned the "cry once" principle.

The scope arrived, and it turned out to be the Z6i 1-6 x24 EE (extended eye relief) model, not the regular model. It was not listed as such, so I probably can send it back for a refund. It is a gorgeous scope, it looks brand new, and I really like the reticle (with the illumination the circle dot looks akin to an EOtech) The illumination is true daylight bright, and the illumination switch is perfect, with instant on to the previously set illumination level.

The specs for the EE version are similar to the regular one:
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/us_rifle-scope_z6-z6i_1-6x24-ee/technical-data
vs
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/us_rifle-scope_z6-z6i_1-6x24/technical-data

The main difference is the eye relief 4.72" instead of 3.74", and a narrower field of view, 100' instead of 127' at 100 yards (still more than a short dot).

I don't shoot nose to charging handle, and it seems to be ok to mount it far enough forward (flat top with full length rail) to not interfere with cheek weld. I will be using it for perhaps a carbine class/fun etc.

Is there any reason the extra eye relief/more forward position would be a problem? It is a substantial savings over retail, so I would definitely like for it to work out. I was planning on using a Larue LT-104 mount, but their extended eye relief mount (LT-139) may work better. Thanks for any insight.

Ace

I prefer the shorter eye relief but you got a good deal and it would not bother me at the price you paid. The Swarovski is the best scope going in my opinion. I prefer the BRT model with the bullet drop marks.
Pat

Ace1400
05-21-11, 18:06
Thanks - it sounds like the increased eye relief isn't a problem. I also looked at the BRT reticle - it would have been about $600 more than I paid, so... I ended up with the circle dot.

I appreciated the Youtube video of the the z6 that you posted.

Alaskapopo
05-21-11, 18:45
Thanks - it sounds like the increased eye relief isn't a problem. I also looked at the BRT reticle - it would have been about $600 more than I paid, so... I ended up with the circle dot.

I appreciated the Youtube video of the the z6 that you posted.

The Circle dot was the first Swarovski I owned and its very capable. I ended up using the part of the reticle where the duplex gets heavy as a second aiming refrence. I know that scope pretty well and it will serve you well. I sold mine to a buddy to help fund the BRT.
Pat