PDA

View Full Version : Longest factory 9mm ammo?

LMT42
05-21-11, 11:03
I'm under the impression that 9mm ammo varies in length. I'm having nosedive jams with a pistol, and after some research on the internet, some think it's due to the bullet snagging under the feed ramp - longer bullets were suggested. I'd appreciate leads on ammo for both range and defensive use. Thanks.

Edit: tried some Lellier & Bellot tonight - first hundred round session I've made it through without a jam. I've shot monarch (too many failures to count, three hundred rounds), WWB (two failures, one hundred rounds), Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p (one failure in fifty - wanted to see how it would shoot SD rounds), Independence (three failures in one hundred rounds).

Raven Armament
05-21-11, 20:00
SAAMI OAL ranges from 1.000 to 1.169 inches.

Most of my RN/TMJ/FMJ type is loaded to 1.125 inches. My JHP match loads are loaded to 1.100 for minor PF and 1.170 for major PF.

Boxerglocker
05-21-11, 21:09
I'm under the impression that 9mm ammo varies in length. I'm having nosedive jams with a pistol, and after some research on the internet, some think it's due to the bullet snagging under the feed ramp - longer bullets were suggested. I'd appreciate leads on ammo for both range and defensive use. Thanks.

Edit: tried some Lellier & Bellot tonight - first hundred round session I've made it through without a jam. I've shot monarch (too many failures to count, three hundred rounds), WWB (two failures, one hundred rounds), Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p (one failure in fifty - wanted to see how it would shoot SD rounds), Independence (three failures in one hundred rounds).

What gun? If a 1911 in 9mm, it's a very common issue. May need the feedramp polished and/or magazines need tuning.

LMT42
05-22-11, 12:04
What gun?

Kahr PM9 - jams have happened with both my magazines, so I've ruled them out.

Beat Trash
05-22-11, 12:29
My first Glock 19 did this. After playing around and several calls to the customer service department, I discovered the issue was the 10 rd followers. I replaced the 10 rd followers with followers for the 15 rd mags and the issue went away. (This was during the AWB ban)

Big clue was the gun ran 100% with 15 rd mags.

Your gun should be able to function with any 9mm ammunition loaded to SAAMI spec's. I feel your issue is not the OAL of the factory ammunition, but with the gun. I'd call Kahr and insist they make it right.

FYI, my Kahr PM9 will work with 124 +P Gold dots as well as with the 147 gr Winchester JHP's and RA9-t loading. I seem to remember the 147 loading as having a longer OAL. Just moved and stuff still in various mystery boxes, so can't verify.

Fried Chicken Blowout
05-22-11, 12:33
I've got a PM9 that will take ANYTHING that I sent it's way. I would send it back to Kahr. I think they do lifetime repair. It could be a mag issue but who knows. The Kahr's come pretty polished so I wouldn't think that's the issue. I bought a used P9 that had some issues. They repaired it for free and returned shipped it for free. All I had to do was ship it to them.

Wildcat
05-22-11, 18:05
I'm under the impression that 9mm ammo varies in length.

It does come in various lengths. Raven provided the standardized limits above.

Some sample lengths of FMJ cartridges:

WWB 1.155
PMC 1.155
Federal 1.152
Speer 1.152
IMI 1.152
S&B 1.150
Geco 1.150
Fiocchi 1.147
CCI Blazer 1.146
UMC (Remington) 1.106 (so-o much shorter its obvious)

I'm having nosedive jams with a pistol, and after some research on the internet, some think it's due to the bullet snagging under the feed ramp - longer bullets were suggested. I'd appreciate leads on ammo for both range and defensive use. Thanks.

Your problem may indeed be your magazines but it may also be the mag catch, or the magazine catch position in the frame, or the contour of the barrel's feed ramp. (and that is not an exclusive list of potential causes)

I'd recommend you contact Kahr Arms.

05-23-11, 10:25
A quality well made pistol should be able to shoot most factory ammo without issue. I have one pistol that is fussy with one kind of bullet profile, the truncated cone HP, and it is a 9mm government model. Give Kahr a chance to make it right.