PDA

View Full Version : Blue ?Loctite? on sig recoil spring

DiabhailGadhar
05-21-11, 17:35
So I bought a used Sig P229 SCT. Took it out and shot the crap out of it and had a problem with the slide locking to the rear on an empty Mag, of the 10-15 mags a ran through it only did it twice and I couldnt really seem to get it to repeat itself. I hadnt cleaned the gun/mags and hopefully that will solve that issue, but if anyone has any input that would be appreciated even though I'm sure thats been covered a million times here. My real question is I field stripped the gun today to do a quick clean and lube on it and had trouble removing the recoil spring from the guide rod and then I noticed that there seemed to be blue loctite on the spring next to where the spring meets the guide rod. Has anyone seen this before?? Also, on my P220 the guide rod just comes out of the spring shout I of had to to pry the spring from the guide rod?? :sad:Let me know what you guys got. Thank as usual for any input as I've tried to search for the answer and didnt come up with ish. :confused:

S-1
05-21-11, 17:58
It's normal. They color the springs to identify them. Like the one in my P226R is orange towards the "tight" end. The tightness on one end is normal too. You want to insert the guide rod into the tight end, not on the loose end. ;)

DiabhailGadhar
05-21-11, 18:04
Should the coloring come off with rubbing alcohol? If so then I'm good..:D Thanks...ahh the tight end...; )

jhs1969
05-21-11, 18:48
In my experience the color comes off these springs pretty easliy. I'm not sure I completely understood exactly what kind of slide lock problem you are having but if it is a failure to lock on empty mags it is usually a firing grip issue when it comes to Sigs. The slide lock on a Sig often lies under the firing hand's thumb which will sometimes prevent it from locking the slide back. Nothing that training cannot fix.

DiabhailGadhar
05-21-11, 19:27
In my experience the color comes off these springs pretty easliy. I'm not sure I completely understood exactly what kind of slide lock problem you are having but if it is a failure to lock on empty mags it is usually a firing grip issue when it comes to Sigs. The slide lock on a Sig often lies under the firing hand's thumb which will sometimes prevent it from locking the slide back. Nothing that training cannot fix.

Ok good I didn't notice the blue stuff on my P220 and that I bought brand new a couple of years ago. With the 220 I never had the problem with the slide not locking but maybe with the different width of the grip it's causing an issue I'm not use to. Thanks for the help..

KhanRad
05-21-11, 19:47
Ok good I didn't notice the blue stuff on my P220 and that I bought brand new a couple of years ago. With the 220 I never had the problem with the slide not locking but maybe with the different width of the grip it's causing an issue I'm not use to. Thanks for the help..

The way your hand rests on the grip, the P220 positions the slide release further forward since it is a longer grip. Therefore, it isn't much of a problem. With the P226/P228/P229, the shorter grip brings the slide release closer to the rear, and thus close to your thumbs. I actually cut down a slide release and installed it on my P228. Without the extension on the lever, it allows me to ride my thumbs high on the grip without any fear of tripping the release.

Also, the new 9mm recoil springs seem to be more stiff than the old ones. So, weak ammo might not cycle the slide all the way to the rear resulting in weak ejection and not locking the slide back on an empty magazine.

DiabhailGadhar
05-21-11, 19:48
I just held the two one after another and it def seems like some training is in order my thumb on the 220 naturally sits where it isn't going to interfere with the slide release, that isn't the case with 229. Due to it's larger diameter at the top its causing my hand to be much closer to the release. Didn't even notice this the other day:p. Thanks again for the guidance.