PDA

View Full Version : A1 upper with M4 ramps

Josh-L
08-13-06, 11:12
Well I was stupid and got rid of the one I picked up a few months ago. Now CMMG doesn't have anymore and neither does Ameetec Arms which were the only two places I could find that had them. So does anyone know where I can pick one up? I don't want to spend the money on a Colt.

-Wes-
08-13-06, 11:45
May not be the answer you want to hear,
I plan on dremeling my C7 upper.

Racer
08-13-06, 14:01
Tag as this is what I am looking for as well.

Rmplstlskn
08-13-06, 16:15
Just curious... Why the desire for an A1 upper?

Back-To-Basics pursuit?
Increased receiver rigidity and less barrel flex?

Do you plan on using the irons or some kind of optical sight?

Rmpl

Josh-L
08-13-06, 18:52

Back-To-Basics pursuit?

Rmpl

Several reasons for me anyway....

I have tried every optic out there over the last 3 years and have always came back to irons for different reasons with each optic. Right now pretty much the only thing I haven't tried is the new NF 1-4 and a Short Dot. But that is just too much money right now, especially with my track record of getting rid of them after a few months.

I was the first person to get certified to carry the AR series of weapons at my dept. and I found out real quick that cops like to touch things. Like the second person that asked to see my rifle turned the knob on my windage. After that I decided I liked the A1's better than A2's.

Also, along with this upper will be going a Crimson Trace unit which require a carry handle.

Hope that answered your questions.

Racer
08-13-06, 19:48

Back-To-Basics pursuit?

Rmpl

Building the lightest (legal length) rifle that follows the KISS principle. The A1 seems to fit. I just wanted something different than what I already have is probably also part of it. I plan on using the iron sights -- with a superlight barrel I am not looking for much past 100 yds.

DevilDog
08-13-06, 21:38
Several reasons for me anyway....

... Like the second person that asked to see my rifle turned the knob on my windage. After that I decided I liked the A1's better than A2's. ...

That'll do it everytime!

Here's a tip I learned from highpower rifle - a little fingernail polish will go a long way. Any color will do. Once you have your rifle zeroed, mark the knob and adjacent surface. Also mark the sight itself and an adjacent surface to help know if the sight is a full revolution (or more off). Be real exact on the second marking - try to create edges that line up well or on full revolution off will be hard to spot.

For extra insurance, run your windage all the way left and count the number of clicks to get back to that zero, and record it, if possibly, record it on the firearm itself, maybe on medical tape inside the pistol grip for example.

What is handy with this method is one quick glance and you can feel somewhat confident that your sights are where you expect them to be.

If you run different ammo at times, you can use different colors. Since it's fingernail polish, it is fairly easy to take off without harming the finish.

That's my 2 cents and probably not worth that much! ;)

nyeti
08-13-06, 23:39
Personally, I HATE the A2 sights. The A1 makes so much more sense for a real world carbine. My agnecy issued guns have more problems with our little morons screwing around with that rear sight than any other issue combined.

VA_Dinger
08-14-06, 01:02
Colt still manufacturers an A1 upper with M4 feedramps?

nyeti
08-14-06, 01:47
I got mine a couple of years ago and it has the M4 cuts. It is the same upper from the KISS rifle article in the Surefire Combat Tactics magazine. That gun now has a fixed (A1 length) stock lower and a standard forend with a small pice of 1913 rail in the 11:00 position with a Scout light with an E2D head. I also added a XS same plane rear aperature. I will be adding an XS front blade as well. I just have to decide which one I want. This gun has a regular two point carry strap and defines "simple carbine". I carry it often as an "off duty" rifle and when traveling. I have some really awesome AR's with every piece of dream gear in the world. They are work guns and have a very dedicated mission. My little KISS gun is super light, insanely reliable and easy to run within the parameters of what I need off duty.

Josh-L
08-16-06, 16:26
Well it looks like I'm not going to find one so does anyone know of a place I can send a regular upper and have the ramps machined into it? Not looking for a ghetto dremel job.

VA_Dinger
08-19-06, 10:53
Well it looks like I'm not going to find one so does anyone know of a place I can send a regular upper and have the ramps machined into it? Not looking for a ghetto dremel job.

Did you try Adco?

Josh-L
08-19-06, 14:36
No. I'll send him a PM.

Kisara
08-19-06, 16:26
S.A.W. in AZ will do it, and do it right. Lower has to be a Colt. Prepare to pay a premium price.

Josh-L
08-19-06, 20:38
"Prepare to pay a premium price."

That is what sucks. I know these things aren't terribly popular but it seems like the demand would be good enough for someone other than Colt to make some. Oh well I guess I'll just get one of the CMMG A2 uppers with M4 ramps then.

Vern
02-11-11, 11:54
Sorry to bring back this old thread but I am looking for an A1 upper with M4 ramps also and have not been able to find one. Are there any being made these days?

Toyoland66
02-11-11, 13:34
Pretty sure bushmaster makes one, I have heard it isn't listed in their catalog but if you call them you can get the part number.

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=601

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/24015-gun-review-bushmaster-m4a1-type-carbine.html

Vern
02-11-11, 13:51
Pretty sure bushmaster makes one, I have heard it isn't listed in their catalog but if you call them you can get the part number.

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=601

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/24015-gun-review-bushmaster-m4a1-type-carbine.html

It is my understanding that they do not have M4 ramps. I may be wrong.

agr1279
02-11-11, 14:53
Also, along with this upper will be going a Crimson Trace unit which require a carry handle.

Don't do this. All of the SRO's got them on their assigned rifles. Every time you go to clean the rifle it messes with the zero. Stay away from them if it is a work gun. Fun is different.

Dan

BSWilson
02-11-11, 15:28
Why do you feel that M4 feedramps are necessary on this upper?

Please don't take a dremel to the anodizing just to add them, rounds feeding against raw aluminum may eventually wallow out the ramps further and start to develop feeding issues as they burrow under the barrel extension.

Just use a standard one and rock on.

Vern
02-11-11, 15:45
Why do you feel that M4 feedramps are necessary on this upper?

Please don't take a dremel to the anodizing just to add them, rounds feeding against raw aluminum may eventually wallow out the ramps further and start to develop feeding issues as they burrow under the barrel extension.

Just use a standard one and rock on.

I may just have to use a standard upper I the barrel I want to use has the M4 ramps so I was hoping to find a maching upper, but if there is no such thing than so be it.

BSWilson
02-11-11, 16:18
Do it, you shouldn't notice any ill effect.

Josh-L
02-12-11, 06:39
Ha! I saw this thread and couldn't remember starting it. Then I looked at the date it was started....