PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever strip the screw while trying to tighten down a Magpul Bad Lever.

ghostman1960
05-21-11, 18:21
I tightened it down as far as I could get it to stop it from moving on the bolt release paddle. It still was very loose and I tightened it some more and I stripped the damn thing.:mad:

When I tried to remove the screw to take it off it wouldn't turn because I stripped it. I had to wind up drilling the screw out to remove the infernal device from my carbine.

Hopefully someone else can learn from my mistake. I wish Magpul used a harder screw that didn't strip so easily.
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF3081.jpg

bp7178
05-21-11, 18:27
There was some hub bub on the forum a while back, and a poster had wrote that the supplied torx driver is actually a size small.

I replaced the crappy stock screw with a cap head allen. You can get it much tighter and there is less danger of stripping.

If I were you, call Magpul and see what they say. Couldn't hurt. If you manage to get another, replace that stock screw.

Robb Jensen
05-21-11, 18:35
I've installed hundreds of them. What I do is thread the screw through the female threaded piece off of the bolt catch/rifle first and then remove it and assemble on the bolt catch. I've never jacked one up.

ghostman1960
05-21-11, 18:40
There was some hub bub on the forum a while back, and a poster had wrote that the supplied torx driver is actually a size small.

I replaced the crappy stock screw with a cap head allen. You can get it much tighter and there is less danger of stripping.

If I were you, call Magpul and see what they say. Couldn't hurt. If you manage to get another, replace that stock screw.

I dont think Magpul is at fault for me stripping the screw. I do think that they have had enough feed back by now that they should provide a harder screw though.

I hate asking for a replacement for something that I screwed up. I had a hard enough time accepting a free cross bolt nut from them that I lost off of a MBUS without paying.

Bowser
05-21-11, 18:55
I stripped a screw because I'm a newb, and Magpul sent me a new one free of charge.

SteveL
05-21-11, 18:56
Sorry you had such bad luck. If you're interested, the lever from Tactical Link has a third screw that goes directly against the bolt catch lever and may help tighten everything up better.

http://www.tacticallink.com/Battery_Assist_Levers.html

I'm thinking about putting one of these on my rifle, but have never messed with one personally.

ghostman1960
05-21-11, 19:12
I stripped a screw because I'm a newb, and Magpul sent me a new one free of charge.

I don't think a new screw would fix my problem at this point.

Bowser
05-21-11, 19:17
I know, since you really went in deep on the lever itself. lol I'm just saying, if you needed a small extra part, Magpul will help you.

ghostman1960
05-21-11, 20:22
Sorry you had such bad luck. If you're interested, the lever from Tactical Link has a third screw that goes directly against the bolt catch lever and may help tighten everything up better.

http://www.tacticallink.com/Battery_Assist_Levers.html

I'm thinking about putting one of these on my rifle, but have never messed with one personally.

Thanks Steve

SteveL
05-21-11, 20:45
No problem. If you try one be sure to post your impressions of it.

SHIVAN
05-21-11, 20:47
You know, when I screw something up like this, I never mention it. I screwed it up, I know why, and it's nobody's fault but mine. I certainly don't need the world knowing about it either. :o

Heavy Metal
05-21-11, 20:50
These can fit loose because they are a bit big for the paddle.

The easy and easily reversable solution I discovered is to put a dallop of RTV(Permetex brand is available in about every auto parts store in the US and places like Wal-Mart) on the paddle and install the lever over it. When it dries(overnight) you will have a solid attachment to the paddle that can be removed unlike epoxy.

ghostman1960
05-21-11, 20:58
You know, when I screw something up like this, I never mention it. I screwed it up, I know why, and it's nobody's fault but mine. I certainly don't need the world knowing about it either. :o

I just want someone to learn from my mistake so it saves someone else some grief.

SHIVAN
05-21-11, 21:06
I just want someone to learn from my mistake so it saves someone else some grief.

Surely a noble gesture.

I was seven years old when I learned that too much torque on a non-hardened screw could strip the tool interface, shear the head clean off, or otherwise bugger it up.

I was nine years old when I learned that harder tool steel could do the same to even a hardened screw.

Thanks for the reminder. I still keep my foibles to myself, however.