PDA

View Full Version : Practice Question

Kuro Ookami
05-21-11, 20:25
So what do you guys practice at home with either your AR, handgun, or shotgun when you're not out shooting?

Medina556
06-01-11, 20:59
The dime dry fire drill bro. I learned it from the DD/vickers tactical DVD its a good reference point for beginners like us.

Aaron_B
06-25-11, 13:06
IMO, you can practice speed reloads and what not on m4/handgun. Not sure about on a shotgun though. Also drawing from your holster and carry position that you choose.

Aaron

Quiet-Matt
06-25-11, 13:27
With the pistol I practice in a slow/mechanical series of movements my grip, draw, presentation and trigger squeeze. I do this over and over. The slow repetitious movement helps me build muscle memory. Do this with the carbine as well to build memory for sight aquisition, cheek weld, grip and stance. Practice reloads, dummy rounds come in handy for this and malfunction clearing. Have a friend set up malfunctions for you. If you have more than one rifle, set up various malfunctions, lay them on the deck and clear them timed. Be creative, find ways to hone skills that don't require the range. Just be sure and do any practice drills away from live ammo, It'll find its way in there somehow.

Jellybean
06-26-11, 18:25
Generally basic stuff like malfunction clearing, tac/speed reloads (although I use the term 'speed' lightly for me....:rolleyes:) aquiring sight picture from ready position (waiting on handgun and holster to practice draw and transition), etc.
Lots of good drills from the Magpul dvds- probably can find a lot of it on youtube now.

cgbills
07-05-11, 13:59
If you do dry fire drills, be sure to aim at something. Some people will just practice the mechanics of the pull, but you need to get the mental aspect of aiming and engaging targets. Even if it is a light switch, have a target.

Failure2Stop
07-06-11, 12:28
If you do dry fire drills, be sure to aim at something. Some people will just practice the mechanics of the pull, but you need to get the mental aspect of aiming and engaging targets. Even if it is a light switch, have a target.

It depends on what you are doing.
If I am doing reloads I will tend to use an IPSC as it gives me a better benchmark of what is actually going on with my press-out and shot time.

But when it comes to pure fundamentals, a plain white wall is the best thing. It encourages the shooter to focus on the sights, and the shooter will be able to see minor movement of the front sight for diagnostic work.

BCmJUnKie
07-06-11, 13:00
IMO, you can practice speed reloads and what not on m4/handgun. Not sure about on a shotgun though. Also drawing from your holster and carry position that you choose.

Aaron

+1, I practice speed reloads almost everynight. Even if its for an hour.

It makes such a big difference when you hit the range