PDA

View Full Version : I may have an issue with my 1911; seeking guidance

Packman73
05-21-11, 21:47
I'm still really new on the 1911 scene; I got this one in January. I'm hoping the experts here will help me out. I have a Kimber SIS Pro (I know, but I kind of like it).

I discovered this evening that when I release the slide (using the slide release, no mag inserted), the hammer drops but seems to stop short of hitting the firing pin. It does this with an empty mag inserted as well. Obviously I'm too scared to try it with a loaded mag not being in a controlled environment.
I load and unload my gun often as I clean it often and when I load it, I just slingshot the slide back and there is no issue. I carry this gun daily and have since I got it but now I'm a bit worried.
This isn't normal is it?

samuse
05-21-11, 22:31
Nope. Not normal.

Your hammer is falling to half cock. The half cock notch on the hammer is the only thing from keeping it from being a full auto without a steering wheel.

You need to get it fixed ASAP. I'm not even going to try to recommend a fix, if you had to ask, you need a qualified 'smitty.

TOrrock
05-21-11, 22:38
You need to contact Kimber on Monday morning and get a return authorization and tell them it's still under warranty.

It's called "following", and it's not good and not normal.

Packman73
05-21-11, 22:42
Alright, thanks gents. I'll contact Kimber on Monday and see what they say. So is this more hammer related or sear related? Just curious (not curious enough to fix myself though).

kyrin88
05-21-11, 23:04
NEVER release your slide without a mag inserted, it is not a glock.Your main problem is that the slide is being slammed home with no mag in. You should never do this because it can damage your gun with the amount of force that the slide releases. the magazine and round slows down the force of the slide. Constantly slamming homw with no mag inserted will bend a specific spring( forgot the name) which will cause the hammer to go down half cocked. This probably never happened to you when you had a loaded mag inserted. Call kimber and they should fix it or you can do it yourself, but never slam home with no mag inserted!

MarshallDodge
05-21-11, 23:09
NEVER release your slide without a mag inserted, it is not a glock.Your main problem is that the slide is being slammed home with no mag in. You should never do this because it can damage your gun with the amount of force that the slide releases. the magazine and round slows down the force of the slide. Constantly slamming homw with no mag inserted will bend a specific spring( forgot the name) which will cause the hammer to go down half cocked. This probably never happened to you when you had a loaded mag inserted. Call kimber and they should fix it or you can do it yourself, but never slam home with no mag inserted!

Agreed.

Packman73
05-21-11, 23:14
This is not something I've done other than tonight after watching my mom's husband do it while he was looking at it. Then I tried it to see WTF was going on.

Packman73
05-21-11, 23:35
Well after reading up on hammer follow, I put a new sear spring in to see if that was an issue and it seems it was. I can't get the hammer to follow now. Thanks for the info and advice; I really appreciate it. If I have any further issues with it, I'll be sure to call Kimber.

Timbonez
05-22-11, 03:26
Alright, thanks gents. I'll contact Kimber on Monday and see what they say. So is this more hammer related or sear related? Just curious (not curious enough to fix myself though).

It could be an issue with one or both of those parts, but since you said it still catches on the half cock notch I'm guessing the hammer hooks for full cock are not right.

ETA: It looks like you put a new sear in and it "fixed" the issue, so I guess my assumption was wrong. That said, I would still have it looked at by a qualified smith or, better yet, send it back to Kimber for warranty work.

wetidlerjr
05-22-11, 03:31
Well after reading up on hammer follow, I put a new sear spring in to see if that was an issue and it seems it was. I can't get the hammer to follow now. Thanks for the info and advice; I really appreciate it. If I have any further issues with it, I'll be sure to call Kimber.

That the sear spring was at fault is not uncommon although you probably could have adjusted the old spring to get the same result. However, as long as it "safety checks" OK, you should be "good to go". The advice about dropping the slide on an empty chamber is true and it can be done to check but it is NOT something to be done as a matter of habit. :cool:

Pappabear
05-22-11, 08:42
Deleted post

PB

Rosco Benson
05-22-11, 09:14
http://www.panteaoproductions.com/protips/26

What Dean said.

Rosco

Packman73
05-22-11, 10:00
Thanks fellas. I don't normally drop the slide on any of my pistols unless chambering a round and I only did it to function test my Kimber. But it does seem to be ok now so I won't be doing that again.:)

browneu
05-22-11, 10:16
You should still contact Kimber to get have the gun looked at. I had this happen to me on two 1911's a Kimber and a Colt. In both cases the grip safety was cited as the cause of the hammer follow.

Trust me you don't want a 1911 to go full auto as it happened with my Colt. It's over in several second and the brass hits you in the face as the pistol rises from the fire.

Moral, contact Kimber and be safe.

Also, ditto on releasing the slide on an empty chamber.