PDA

View Full Version : From ACOG to Red Dot

SanDiegoLMT
05-22-11, 19:31
I have had my ACOG TA33 for a little while now and I really like it, but almost feel as though it's a little more scope than what I need. I am used to shooting and training at ranges from 50-150/200 yards. I am considering selling the TA33 to get a Vortex Sparc because I know that Vortex has a pretty good reputation from what I have read andI like it's small size and versatility. I am not entirely sure that I want to spend as much as I have spent on optics in the past on another red dot.

Has anybody else been in my shoes from going from a 3x30 or 4x32 to a red dot?

Edit: I edited the title because it made it sound as though I was comparing the two which is certainly not my intention. I'm moreso looking for feedback to see if the SPARC is an appropriate red dot to go with in replacing a reticle scope.

Failure2Stop
05-22-11, 20:32
I have never used the Vortex Sparc.
I do highly recommend Aimpoint products, specifically the T1 when it comes to size, weight, and performance.
If I was getting rid of a 1K optic that didn't do what I wanted it to do, I would be fully willing to reinvest that cash into a caipable and reliable optic.

Chameleox
05-22-11, 20:45
Has anybody else been in my shoes from going from a 3x30 or 4x32 to a red dot?

I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

I'm replacing the TA01DOC on my patrol rifle with an H-1 this week. I'm finding that for my uses, the red dot is cheaper, lighter, faster, and sufficient.

Depending on what you're using the gun for, the SPARC might be the ticket. My department approves them for patrol use. We haven't had any issues with them, but round count is low, and I can't speak to whether or not officers are leaving them on throughout their shifts.