PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a good ACOG knock-off?

ntstambo2
05-22-11, 21:33
I really want a TA33-H for my AR but they're pricey. I have an Aimpoint Pro that I want to switch onto my USC/UMP and was wondering if they make a good TA33-H variant for range use that will hold its zero. Any suggestions?

Sry0fcr
05-22-11, 22:00
Is there such a thing as a good ACOG knock-off?

Before the dogpile starts, I wouldn't expect a serious answer to this question. Try over on ARFCOM. They probably cater more to what you're looking for.

TOrrock
05-22-11, 22:14
No, there isn't.

ntstambo2
05-22-11, 22:24
Thanks. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the question. My wallet is just a little light and I need to pick up a few more things in addition to this. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a lightly used TA33-H or just space things out - which is really hard to do.

TOrrock
05-22-11, 22:39
You didn't offend anyone, but there really isn't a good clone of an ACOG, or an Aimpoint, or an Eotech.

There's a stuck thread up top of this forum about how you definitely get what you pay for and you're better off saving up.

The dogpile sometimes occurs because you're not the first to ask this, at all, and after answering it numerous times, or the OP refuses to listen, people can get cranky.....;)

No worries. Start an optics jar and save up.

ntstambo2
05-22-11, 22:47
Thanks. I didn't think of that until after I created the topic and for that I do apologize. I really never buy cheap stuff so I wasn't sure. I have an Aimpoint Pro now and love it. I found a used ACOG that another poster is selling for $850 that I'm seriously considering. I can put that on my AR and move the Pro over to the UMP and I'll be good to go. I guess I'll have to put the MVF 515 G on hold lol.

Spiffums
05-23-11, 12:21
You didn't offend anyone, but there really isn't a good clone of an ACOG, or an Aimpoint, or an Eotech.

There's a stuck thread up top of this forum about how you definitely get what you pay for and you're better off saving up.

The dogpile sometimes occurs because you're not the first to ask this, at all, and after answering it numerous times, or the OP refuses to listen, people can get cranky.....;)

No worries. Start an optics jar and save up.

Just remember to only have 1 jar at a time...... I never can get to my RMR'd Glock jar with my pennies before they are gone in the other jars....

p.s. My Jeep upgrades jar has a dang hole in the bottom of it.:jester:

FrostyEOD
05-23-11, 12:37
p.s. My Jeep upgrades jar has a dang hole in the bottom of it.:jester:

JEEP = Just empty every pocket

El Pistolero
05-23-11, 13:30
I thought it was JEEP= Just Eats Every Penny.

ETA: I would not look for an ACOG knock off if that is specifically what you want. Get a real ACOG or go home. I've handled the knock-offs (complete with BDC reticle and clear glass) and compared them to my real TA01NSN and I would drop the $900 on the Trijicon every time.

kaltesherz
05-23-11, 19:45
Also be aware of the EE, there's a lot of ACOGs on there with little to no use for much cheaper than full retail. I just got a barely used TA11 for $750 and I've seen many screaming deals since.

hikeeba
05-24-11, 10:22
Thanks. I didn't think of that until after I created the topic and for that I do apologize. I really never buy cheap stuff so I wasn't sure. I have an Aimpoint Pro now and love it. I found a used ACOG that another poster is selling for $850 that I'm seriously considering. I can put that on my AR and move the Pro over to the UMP and I'll be good to go. I guess I'll have to put the MVF 515 G on hold lol.

red-dot-scopes.com has a sale on the TA33R/G .223 models for $828.95 shipped:

http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/trijicon-acog-red-dot-scope-advanced-combat-optical-gunsight-3x30-ta33g.html
http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/trijicon-acog-red-dot-scope-advanced-combat-optical-gunsight-3x30-ta33r.html

I have purchased from these guys, and even talked to someone on the phone. My experience with them was 100% positive, and I hope to buy from them again.

As for a knock-off ACOG - Unless you go for an airsoft look-alike product, I don't think there is anything else out there that offers battery-less reticle illumination in a compact and durable magnified optic. Trijicon ACOGs are sort of in their own niche that way.

If you are looking for a compact magnified optic with an illuminated reticle, there are a few out there. The Burris AR-332 comes to mind, and unless I'm missing something, it would probably be the only one really worth considering (my opinion based on warranty and perception of company reputation).

Other options to 'fill the void' might be a 1-4x setup or a RDS + magnifier combo.

But if you have your heart set on a TA33, save your donuts and get one. I'd really love to get one, myself, but projects and repairs around the house this spring means I'll have to maybe look ahead to next year.

ntstambo2
05-24-11, 11:21
Thanks. I'm intrigued by the Burris AR-332. The person that I was going to buy the Acog from is balking at doing a c.o.d. transaction and I really don't want to send close to a grand through the mail and hope that something comes back. I'm not sure why anyone would balk at donig a c.o.d. as it eliminates the exposure for everyone, so I'm a little nervous. The Burris would save me a lot of money. I'll have to research it some more as I've seen a few people say that they've had issues. I guess you get what you pay for, but it's worth a look. Thanks again.

C4IGrant
05-24-11, 11:37
red-dot-scopes.com has a sale on the TA33R/G .223 models for $828.95 shipped:

http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/trijicon-acog-red-dot-scope-advanced-combat-optical-gunsight-3x30-ta33g.html
http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/trijicon-acog-red-dot-scope-advanced-combat-optical-gunsight-3x30-ta33r.html

I have purchased from these guys, and even talked to someone on the phone. My experience with them was 100% positive, and I hope to buy from them again.

As for a knock-off ACOG - Unless you go for an airsoft look-alike product, I don't think there is anything else out there that offers battery-less reticle illumination in a compact and durable magnified optic. Trijicon ACOGs are sort of in their own niche that way.

If you are looking for a compact magnified optic with an illuminated reticle, there are a few out there. The Burris AR-332 comes to mind, and unless I'm missing something, it would probably be the only one really worth considering (my opinion based on warranty and perception of company reputation).

Other options to 'fill the void' might be a 1-4x setup or a RDS + magnifier combo.

But if you have your heart set on a TA33, save your donuts and get one. I'd really love to get one, myself, but projects and repairs around the house this spring means I'll have to maybe look ahead to next year.

Just as an FYI, this company is NOT an authorized Trijicon dealer and is on Trijicon's ban list.

We are and will match their prices on ANY Trijicon product.

C4

ntstambo2
05-24-11, 11:55
To anyone looking at the Burris AR-332, it has way too much crap on a small reticle. It would drive me nuts every time I look through it. The Acog is worth the extra $.

mini4m3
05-24-11, 15:37
Just as an FYI, this company is NOT an authorized Trijicon dealer and is on Trijicon's ban list.

C4

If you can inform me of the issues with them I would like to hear further details regarding the ban list etc. You can PM me details if required - but that is excellent that you price match them.

hikeeba
05-25-11, 10:28

C4
I was not aware of this. Thanks for the heads-up.

C4IGrant
05-25-11, 10:30
If you can inform me of the issues with them I would like to hear further details regarding the ban list etc. You can PM me details if required - but that is excellent that you price match them.

I have the e-mail "Do Not Sell to" that Trijicon puts out.

C4