PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Arms A4 tactical upper

acaixguard
05-22-11, 22:05
A local FFL has a Rock River Arms A4 tactical upper (NJ legal, so muzzle break and no bayonet lug) for sale for $450 or so. I think this is a brand new upper, but I need to confirm with him. Assuming it is NIB, is this a good buy, for a quality unit?

Thanks in advance!

Eurodriver
05-22-11, 22:10
No, it is not a good buy.

A quality, top of the line upper can be had from BCM for just a bit more. Then you can have ADCO do the muzzle device work.

But I guess it depends...how is the fit and finish? ...

PrarieDog
05-22-11, 22:20
As an owner of RRA stuff and BCM, if you plan on this being a go to gun then go to BCM. Much better product. I like my RRA's but they are for plinking and reducing the amount og prairie dogs on the face of teh earth.

rsong76
05-22-11, 22:47
A local FFL has a Rock River Arms A4 tactical upper (NJ legal, so muzzle break and no bayonet lug) for sale for $450 or so. I think this is a brand new upper, but I need to confirm with him. Assuming it is NIB, is this a good buy, for a quality unit?

Thanks in advance!

Definitely not. Claro q nao. RRA is to Adidas as Quality AR's are to Shoyoroll / Mizuno.

rsong76
05-22-11, 22:48
I actually bought a RRA for my first AR so I learned right away what's what.

OTO27
05-23-11, 01:47
My deprtment issues RRA rifles only. They do however give us the option to purchase your personal rifles as long as they are RRA or Colt. Needless to say I whent out and bought a Colt. With that being said the amount of RRAs to Colts I have seen go down at the range are pretty close to each other. Take it for what its worth.

acaixguard
05-23-11, 06:20
Definitely not. Claro q nao. RRA is to Adidas as Quality AR's are to Shoyoroll / Mizuno.

Haha, good analogy. Guess my SN gave my other hobby away huh?

acaixguard
05-23-11, 06:20
Thanks guys for the feedback. I had no idea RRA was considered mediocre at best.

JSTICFRALL
05-23-11, 06:43
My first upper was a RRA. I bought it because I didn't know any better and wanted to throw a rifle together without cleaning out the bank account. It function decently at the range although I did experience a malfunction here and there. The quality of the internals on the rifle were pretty low. I ended up selling it and got a BCM upper. The second I pulled it out of the box and inspected the BCG, I realized that there was in fact a difference in quality and that I had made the right decision after doing some homework and spending a little more money to get something I could trust.

djegators
05-23-11, 08:16
The unfortunate part for you is the NJ restrictions...this impact your decision and the cost.

M4Mike
05-23-11, 13:13
Low quality or not, my RRA middy has gone thousands of rounds without any real malfunction, and little cleaning. The only problems were with cheap silver bear ammo and hard primers. All rounds were reloaded and then fired without further problems. You can't get better than 100 percent reliable. Trust me, I understand Colt, BCM, and DD rifles are superior, but RRA makes a decent AR.

hill
05-23-11, 14:00
I've never had any luck reloading Silver Bear ammo...:D

kaltesherz
05-23-11, 16:13
Low quality or not, my RRA middy has gone thousands of rounds without any real malfunction, and little cleaning. The only problems were with cheap silver bear ammo and hard primers. All rounds were reloaded and then fired without further problems. You can't get better than 100 percent reliable. Trust me, I understand Colt, BCM, and DD rifles are superior, but RRA makes a decent AR.

Uh, problems with SB & "hard primers" does not equal 100% reliable.

Iraqgunz
05-24-11, 00:41
RRA is decent if you want a mediocre weapon. If you want a weapon that is quality made and performs then you need to look elsewhere.

M4Mike
05-24-11, 08:04
I'll agree with you Iraqgunz, your knowledge in these matters is extensive. My next build will be BCM. They make high quality stuff. In fact the RRA I have is running a BCM BCG. Perhaps thats why it has been so reliable.

M4Mike
05-24-11, 08:19
kaltesherz- problems with ammo happen to the best and worst rifles. There is nothing that can be done. I have run thousands of rounds of XM198 with no problems. Then i tried the Silver Bear and for the most part it worked, but it had several hard primers. This is a classic cheap ammo problem that just happens. This does not reflect weapon reliability. All rounds were then reloaded into a mag and then successfully fired, proving this as a ammo related problem, not a weapon related one.

TonyTacoma
05-24-11, 12:44
Preatty surprised Iraqguns didn't shut this one down, I think the OP got the info he needed. The last thing we need is some dumbass discussion about rra being a piece of shit or not.

Iraqgunz
05-24-11, 12:48
Asked and answered. Do what you think is right.