PDA

View Full Version : Omega X Rails

No Bananas
05-22-11, 22:30
I've had a DD M4 rail and a DD lite rail. Both were are awesome. I'm thinking about the omega Xrail. It's a two piece. How's it fair? Anybody ever have it come loose?

boomhower
05-23-11, 03:49
Mines solid as a rock. I really like it. I looked long and hard between it and the Lite rail and ended up choosing it, QD swivel had a lot to do with it. In the end I couldn't be happier.

claybirdd
05-23-11, 03:56
After thousands of rounds mine has never loosend. I love the oval shape as far as comfort, however, it can cause issues when mounting various accessories. I would recommend the X rail anyday.

Low Drag
05-23-11, 06:48
OK dump question for you guys with the rail.

I see the rail can be removed, or at least part of it can be removed to clean up the barrel or replace gas tube etc.

Can just a bottom section be removed without disrupting the zero of your back up iron sights? I ask because I'm in the market for a DD upper with 14.5" barrel and have a choice of rail.

b_w_hlls
05-23-11, 07:06
The omega x 12 fsp seemed to be plenty tough on the Daniel defense m4 torture test http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81485

Duffy
05-23-11, 07:39
The Omega X is a one piece rail, the bottom can't be removed, you must be thinking of the RIS II ;)

Whiskey_Bravo
05-23-11, 07:45
The Omega X is a one piece rail, the bottom can't be removed, you must be thinking of the RIS II ;)

From the Daniel Defense website

The Omega X rails feature a unique blend of Omega Rail™ technology along with the strength of our proprietary Bolt-Up Design. Utilizing a pro-proprietary barrel nut, the Omega X rails offer a smooth transition from the upper receiver offering the most useable rail space in conjunction with a standard front sight base.

It boasts a continuous upper rail platform along with integrated, limited rotation, sling swivel attachment points on either side for ambidextrous use. Its two-piece design allows the user to easily remove the rail system for maintenance and cleaning while still maintaining a true free float design.

Duffy
05-23-11, 08:06
Aw crap,you're right! I have one and the bottom is certainly removable, how could I forget lol :jester:

I have taken pictures of it showing the importance of making sure the set screws are not resting against the notches in the barrel nut, must be either early morning or old age :sad:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/screwsagainstwrenchnotches.jpg

fireblast713
05-25-11, 15:39
I have a DD Omega X 12" and I love it, tried my friends MI 12" rail and his was kinda uncomfortable to hold very blocky and round, I haven't really tested it out as far as durability but everyone seems to hold DD rails in high regard. Do people tend to like the lite rail more than the omega x? I know the lite is more durable in terms of mounting, but my omega x seems plenty strong

BBJones13
05-25-11, 17:28
I have a DD Omega X 12" and I love it, tried my friends MI 12" rail and his was kinda uncomfortable to hold very blocky and round, I haven't really tested it out as far as durability but everyone seems to hold DD rails in high regard. Do people tend to like the lite rail more than the omega x? I know the lite is more durable in terms of mounting, but my omega x seems plenty strong

I have had both Omega X and Lite's. While I like Omega X's slightly more because of the shape and integrated QD points, I would probably buy a Lite if I were to buy another one. The installation of the Lite is much easier for me and I have no fear of stripping small screws. The mounting of the Lite is also as rock solid as they come. I like both but Lite would be my choice by the slightest of margins.

jackblack73
05-25-11, 19:06
I have not subjected my Omega X to hard use, so I can't really attest to its durability. But DD sees fit to install them on their complete rifles and there must be a ton of them out there. I have not read any complaints about their durability. One big reason I chose the X over the Lite was the integral QD point. It's also easy to remove for cleaning, etc., though I don't plan to do that often.

No Bananas
06-26-11, 22:36
Sounds like it's a winner!