PDA

View Full Version : Hk45c thumb safety pain

Joerenew
05-23-11, 07:38
I have an hk45c v1, and I shoot it alot, and at the end of the day my thumb is torn up. I have tried several thumb positions but nothingnis comfortable or puts my hand so high thst the slide bites me. Please post up some grip techniques that I may be able to try. I have tried thumb resting on safety, and thumb under the safety and thumb on top of left hand. I am considering going to LEM or trading it in. Any and all advice appreciated!

newyork
05-23-11, 08:57
Had the same issue with the full size, went LEM. Fixed. Love it. HK Parts has the kits for around $100 and HK themselves will sell the kit also. You can install it yourself

hk45ctp30
05-23-11, 13:53
That seems strange to me, your thumb hurting. I have shot many rounds out of my 45C and my thumb has never been in any position to get rubbed wrong.

I do use the LEM trigger, though. I have the same trigger on my P2000SK and decided to have my HK45CT modified by HK to the lightest LEM they sell. I personally prefer a light DA trigger pull that's always the same as opposed to the traditional DA/SA that the HK comes with. That's just personal preference though.

newyork
05-23-11, 14:36
It hurts because he's trying to put his thumb over the safety like a 1911 but the HK safety is very high. The grip needed for thumb over safety places the thumb in a spot that hurts after a short period for some shooters. You don't have a safety on your LEM model so it wouldn't happen to you.

SmokeJumper
05-23-11, 23:36
I carry and shoot my HK45c and USP 45c on regular basis. I usually ride my thumb on the safety and have not had any issues with pain or slide bite. I don't mash my thumb on the safety hard as that could cause it to decock the hammer. Some grip and thumb position experimentation may be needed to find out what is going to work out for you. Maybe one of the HK guys can chime in some

GJM
05-24-11, 07:39
I carry and shoot my HK45c and USP 45c on regular basis. I usually ride my thumb on the safety and have not had any issues with pain or slide bite. I don't mash my thumb on the safety hard as that could cause it to decock the hammer. Some grip and thumb position experimentation may be needed to find out what is going to work out for you. Maybe one of the HK guys can chime in some

You sound like a good candidate for a variant 9 plate, to avoid inadvertent decocking. I experienced intermittent inadvertent decocking when shooting +P ammo or shooting on the move, and switched to V9 before going to LEM.

Back to the OP's question, I also chewed up my thumb riding the thumb safety, 1911 style, before switching to LEM. Seemed worse with the 45, and P30 in .40 than the P30 in 9.

Joerenew
05-24-11, 23:24
Thanks for the replies! I am seriously considering the LEM just wanted other grip anles to try. I have tried on top along side and under the safety. I have never caused it to decock. It's just not comfortable at all!

Cylinder Head
05-25-11, 09:54
Curl your strong hand thumb under the safety, and curl your support hand thumb over it so the pad of your support hand thumb is on top of your strong hand thumb's nail. This is the "crush grip" Massad Ayoob teaches and it works well with HK's.

SmokeJumper
05-25-11, 15:38
You sound like a good candidate for a variant 9 plate, to avoid inadvertent decocking. I experienced intermittent inadvertent decocking when shooting +P ammo or shooting on the move, and switched to V9 before going to LEM.

Back to the OP's question, I also chewed up my thumb riding the thumb safety, 1911 style, before switching to LEM. Seemed worse with the 45, and P30 in .40 than the P30 in 9.

Will have to research this. Also will try the grip that Cylinder Head discussed-good info.