PDA

View Full Version : 14.5 barrel with permanent flash hider attached

black op
05-23-11, 08:56
Need some help understanding whether this would work. I am looking at building a new rifle so I was looking into the BCM 14.5 upper with a permanently attached flash hider. My thought was can I have a GS change this out with my custom comp and permanently attach it? Would this keep with in the NFA rules and reg's?

I know I could just buy a 16" upper and then attach the comp but was liking the idea of cutting down that 1-1/2" ish

Your thoughts and input are appreciated.

JasonM
05-23-11, 09:09
If you are going to change the comp, don't order the perm attached, just order the regular 14.5. The upper is not an NFA item so you can order it with no problems.

If you are concerned about it, have it shipped directly to your smith and he can perm your comp on it before you pick it up.

markm
05-23-11, 09:10
If you are going to change the comp, don't order the perm attached, just order the regular 14.5. The upper is not an NFA item so you can order it with no problems.

If you are concerned about it, have it shipped directly to your smith and he can perm your comp on it before you pick it up.

Indeed. No point in paying to have the perm undone.

black op
05-23-11, 09:48
Thanks guys for the info

HenryTheNoodle
05-24-11, 08:28
FWIW you will see 14.5" complete rifles selling with the flash hider pinned so it meets the 16" overall length requirement.

adh
05-24-11, 19:44
Keep in mind that depending on the length of the comp that you want to use, you may or may not meet the 16" minimum required to be non-nfa once permed. Make sure you know that before you go through the hassle of having the work done.

usmcvet
05-24-11, 19:53
FWIW you will see 14.5" complete rifles selling with the flash hider pinned so it meets the 16" overall length requirement.

Yeah but just buy one with an A2 flash hider. Have it shipped to your Smith like Jason suggested. It will speed things up and save you shipping it twice, once to you then to the Smith.

ehatcher
03-21-13, 17:20
I apologize for reviving a dead thread (a cardinal offense, I know) but instead of posting a new thread (SEARCH BUTTON YOU NOOB!)... Ill ask here.

By having a 14.5" barrel with a comp/FH longenough to make the MAXIMUM barrel length reach or exceed 16" and an overall firearm length of 30"... all is well in in NFA land correct? I will be 100% legal without any worries about big brother knocking on my door?

Iraqgunz
03-21-13, 17:36
16" is the minimum. As long as your barrel meets that definition just about everything else is academic unless you are going off the reservation.

I apologize for reviving a dead thread (a cardinal offense, I know) but instead of posting a new thread (SEARCH BUTTON YOU NOOB!)... Ill ask here.

By having a 14.5" barrel with a comp/FH longenough to make the MAXIMUM barrel length reach or exceed 16" and an overall firearm length of 30"... all is well in in NFA land correct? I will be 100% legal without any worries about big brother knocking on my door?

fallenromeo
03-21-13, 17:39

Yes...noob. :p

Just kidding, but yes, you will be fine.

ehatcher
03-21-13, 17:53
10-4. Thanks fellas. :o

halfmoonclip
03-21-13, 20:22
You may find that the 'smith will fudge on the side of caution; ADCO did mine, and overall is 16.5" or thereabouts. It's not enough to bother me, and it looks better than 16" + the flashider.
But I can't use a bayonet, dammit.
Moon