PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6921

mag318
05-23-11, 13:49
I was at my LGS Saturday and they had several Colt ARs a gentleman brought in on consignment. All were modified to be close to M4 configuration. My friend the dealer actually bought one for himself and I put one aside until tomorrow to research it. The seller took a Model 6920 Law Enforcement Carbine and had a 14.5" real Colt M4 barrel installed with a pin and welded flash suppressor to be legal 16" length. Next a Troy quadrail was put on and finally a real M4 flipup rear sight was put on, I believe it is a Matech.
I like Colt 6920s, this looks like a slightly modified 6921 andis probably as close to a civilian M4 that I will ever get.

markm
05-23-11, 13:52
If the perm job looks good and you don't mind the flash hider being permed... sounds like a decent price.

Eric
05-23-11, 14:45
For the most part, I'm not a huge fan of pinned/welded muzzle devices, but it's a good deal if the barrel is confirmed to be a true Colt.

mag318
05-24-11, 17:21
I committed to buying the carbine this afternoon after looking at it again. The barrel and flash hider work was done by a company called ADCO and looks first rate. Now I'm looking forward to shooting it, then deciding whether to put an optic on it or not. I have an ACOG on another AR so I may keep this one simple.

mag318
05-25-11, 18:19
Here's a photo of my new Colt. The gentleman who set these up did a very nice job. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Dunderway
05-25-11, 20:50
ADCO does great work and I think you got a really good deal. If you wanted the closest thing to an M4A1 without going the NFA route, you got it.

fireblast713
05-25-11, 22:33
wow looks really clean, for the price you paid you'd be hard pressed to find a stock 6920 so getting a all customized one for that price is a deal

mag318
06-01-11, 23:24
Had a great range day wringing my new Colt out this afternoon. Of all the several ARs I've owned over the decades this is my new favorite. I was really impressed with the Matech BUIS, I've always though that these backup sights were just that. These were easy to dial in and surprisingly well suited to this carbine. I could have shot it all day just using the Matechs. My Trijicon ACOG TA-11 fit perfectly over the Matechs and really upped the accuracy potential of my new Colt. I shot both 55 grn and 62 grn Winchester ball ammo plus some Federal 55 grn XM-193 that my carbine really liked. This Colt set up like it was by ADCO was the absolute best AR deal I've come across and definately money well spent. The performance thru 300 rounds was flawless and even with the M4 barrel it was more accurate than I expected, with no noticeable difference from my 16" versions.

mag318
06-08-11, 22:11
As much as I like ACOGs I took it off my carbine and put on my favorite military scope to see how it will workout. This is a Hensoldt Z-24 developed it Germany originally for their H&K G3s. I've had Model 1s of this series but the Z-24 with it's illuminated reticle is the culmination of this series. It has typical German optics with one of my favorite reticle designs. I originally had it in an ARMS 19 throw lever mount on a sightless ArmaLite. Since the ARMS mount wouldn't clear the front sight on the Colt I bought this inexpensive one with a 1" riser off Amazon. The height is perfect for fast acquisition and comfort so we'll see how it shoots. We all know how good ACOGs are and I love mine. But there is something about this Z-24, besides the modest price, usually under $500 you get a world class combat optic.

Timbonez
06-09-11, 00:56
It looks like you got a good deal on the Colt and the features it has. Nice rifle.

pinzgauer
06-09-11, 23:11
This is a Hensoldt Z-24 developed it Germany originally for their H&K G3s. I've had Model 1s of this series but the Z-24 with it's illuminated reticle is the culmination of this series.

I ran one of these on a Grendel AR for a while. It's an excellent scope for the money on an HK, but ultimately I took it off the AR as the eye relief is a bit short. The short eye relief works OK on the G3/HK ergonomics, but not as well on the AR.

We don't use it much on the HK91 as my crew really likes shooting it with the factory sights, go figure.

mag318
06-20-11, 17:12
I zeroed my Colt this afternoon with the Hensoldt scope and couldn't be happier. I used Federal (Lake City) 55 grn XM-193 which this carbine runs great on and shoots tight groups with. Starting out at 50 yards the groups were one jagged 1" hole. Moving back to 100 yards the groups opened a bit to around 2" but considering this carbine has a 14.5" Colt M4 Socom barrel, I'm happy with the accuracy. My Z-24 has a BDC so once zeroed at 100 yards shooting at 200 yards just required a turn of the elevation drum. At 200 yards it was easy to stay on the head of a B1 target. This fixed 4 power scope is really impressive and it's a shame they're getting hard to find in new condition. I did some drills at 50 yards advancing on the target doing head shots, this is where the AGOG really shines but the Hensoldt also made for fast acquisition even though slightly more power at 4X compared to my ACOGs 3.5X. I like the reticle better on the Hensoldt although the ACOGs red donut is very fast at close range. At 100/200 the Hensoldt is much more precise. I highly recommend the Hensoldt Z-24 scope, they were designed and built as combat optics and cost (if you can find one) less than half what my TA11 ACOG did. There are a number of good optics out there for an AR M4, this one is my favorite though followed closely by any ACOG.

pinzgauer
06-21-11, 09:35
I zeroed my Colt this afternoon with the Hensoldt scope and couldn't be happier.

Do you see any eye relief challenges? I moved mine back to the HK as I found it to be harder to use on the AR due to it's shorter eye relief.

MarkG
06-21-11, 11:17
Here's a photo of my new Colt. The gentleman who set these up did a very nice job. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

What was the purpose of keeping the crush washer? Where was the pin installed?

mag318
06-21-11, 12:03
Do you see any eye relief challenges? I moved mine back to the HK as I found it to be harder to use on the AR due to it's shorter eye relief.

No problems with eye relief at all. I'm tall so even with the stock fully extended the eye relief is good. I just bring the M4 up and the scope is there very naturally. Friday I'm going to the range in the early evening to shoot using the illuminated reticle. This Hensoldt with it's small objective lense does an amazingly good job at light gathering. These German optics really live up to their reputation.

mag318
06-21-11, 12:43
What was the purpose of keeping the crush washer? Where was the pin installed?

The pin is in the bottom 6 o'clock portion of the flash hider. The work was done by ADCO so whether or not to use a crush washer was their call.

Pappabear
06-21-11, 12:49
I have to agree, looks like you scored big time. If shooting for groups, based on your picture, you want to be cognizant of resting that barrel on the wooden rest. I might try to get the rail on the wood, not the barrel. You may well know this but since your shooting some groups, it could affect accuracy with various amount of pressure.

I have some of the other big names, but Colt is still King at my house.