PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 G19OD value after stippling and reduction

platoonDaddy
05-23-11, 18:35
Have a Gen 3 G19OD that I was thinking about having it stippled & reduction, my question if I have this done what impact will it have on the value of the weapon?

Thanks

Fire_Medic
05-23-11, 18:39
Have a Gen 3 G19OD that I was thinking about having it stippled & reduction, my question if I have this done what impact will it have on the value of the weapon?

Thanks

Generally you do not recoup money on custom work on guns, however sometimes you just have the exact package together that someone wants and you happen to get your money back because the guy doesn't want to wait forever for his gun to be worked on. In the current economy too things are just plain weird, some stuff sells, and some stuff doesn't.

I also think it depends on who does the work and their reputation with their quality and service.

I would not drop the coin to customize a frame if I was concerned with re-sale going into it. I have myself sold a couple of guns that were worked on before, a G19 and a G23 but recovering my $$ was not a thought when I had the work done. On one of the pistols I didn't lose a dime, on the other I lost some money but still less than I thought I would.

Hope this helps.

bleaman225
05-23-11, 18:44
I have no idea what it will do for your resale value. Doubtful that you will gain any value though. Just be careful to not lose money if you are worrying about resale.

I would suggest having someone reputable do the work. That will probably help having a "big name" do your reduction.

Also if you are concerned about resale, make sure they can match the color with the epoxy that they will be putting in the backstrap...

Seems if you are having this work done, you wouldn't be concerned with resale

ETA: Fire Medic got you squared away while I was typing.

uwe1
05-23-11, 18:45
It will hold the value better if the work was done through Boresight, Bowie, or another reputable shop. You probably want to keep the invoice as proof.

No value will be gained by using the WECSOG.

For a better idea, look on the EE, under "Handguns" and look at what other members have sold their customized guns for.

RD62
05-23-11, 20:48
I think that generally you will lose value and have a harder time selling.

The market for an OD Glock is narrower than for a standard black one. You further narrow the market with custom work.

There are exceptions for collector worthy pieces (not necessarily safe queens) and others that can appreciate the value of the work and are looking for your combination of features.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the work, but if selling this pistol is possible or probable and you are looking to maximize your return when and if you do, I would think long and hard about custom work.

platoonDaddy
05-24-11, 07:20
All great points, thanks for sharing and giving me something to think long and hard about.

Another reason why I am hesitant about customization; recall reading about a G19 that was customized for $800, crap one can purchase two for that value.

Semizal0311
05-24-11, 07:30
[QUOTE=uwe1;1005912]
QUOTE]

Not going to lie I had to Google this. lol

platoonDaddy
05-24-11, 08:26
QUOTE]

Not going to lie I had to Google this. lol

LOL, for sure I missed that and as you just googled it:

"Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithin'." :lol:

VolGrad
05-24-11, 16:02
I'll echo the sentiments of others here .....

You narrow down your market greatly by customizing a gun, esp one that is already a little unique (OD). I highly doubt you will get your money back.

However, that shouldn't be the driving factor here unless you already plan to sell it. If you want it .... do it.

BBJones13
05-24-11, 17:58
I recommend Cold Bore Customs if you decide to get the work done. I Have a very nice G17 and my friend has a G34 and G26 done by Lane (the one man show at CBC). really nice work. I think he uses the candle method combined with a filler for his reductions. No fill and cutting of the frame.

I will second what most people here already said. You probably will not get any of the money you put in back on a resale. The question is why are you considering resale value? If you are thinking about selling it, why would you get custom work on it?

-edit. Just noticed that he doesn't do reductions on OD Glocks. I am guessing because they discolor when flame is applied, but who knows.

HK45
05-28-11, 19:00
Don't customize a weapon you don't plan to keep. Its not worth the cost and effort if you don't plan to keep it. Personally I would not want to buy an already customized pistol. You can forget warranty service, you don't know the quality of the work, and customization is a very individual thing.