PDA

View Full Version : HST question

moonshot
05-23-11, 18:40
I hope this question hasn't been addressed directly and I just missed it - I'm still learning how to effectively use the search function, and I usually get either too much or too little. So with an appology to all if this has already been covered, here is my question...

I use a G26 for self-defense, and I am currently using up my stash of Fed 124gr HST in training and range work. It will be time soon to get some more (I don't like to ever be under 500 rounds in storage).

Between the 124gr HST and the 147gr HST (both standard pressure), is one better suited for the short barrel of the G26?

Does one bullet weight offer any help in eliminating the effects of injured arm limp wristing or a dirty gun, such as a +p round would? (The lighter round offers faster slide velocity while the heavy round offers greater momentum).

I notice the 147gr seems longer (eyeball measurement only). Does a longer or shorter OAL effect feed reliability?

Finally, is there an increased risk for bullet setback from the longer 147gr round?

I'm not a LEO, therefore I figure the heavy clothing test and the IWBA heavy clothing tests would be more applicable than wallboard or auto glass penetration.

Not looking to join the magic bullet club. Shot placement and penetration first and second.

DRT
05-23-11, 20:26
I'd go for the heavy-for-caliber versions of HST (+P if applicable), in any caliber 9mm, .40, .45, in any barrel length.

moonshot
05-23-11, 21:26
I know that's the concensus. The 147gr HST and Gold Dot get a lot of attention.

I was just wondering if the recommendation held for shorter barrels (the G26 is just shy of 3.5").

I was also told that going +p would improve feeding reliability should the gun be dirty or not gripped properly (say due to an injury). However, I also remember reading something about the heavier gr weight offering the same recoil impulse as a lighter +p and providing the same level of enhanced feeding.

I might not have said this right, but it's close.

The other thing is, when I look at the heavy clothing and IWBA heavy clothing test results listed here (from a G17)...

http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf

it looks like the 124gr came pretty close to the 147gr in performance in the heavy clothing test and bested both the 147gr and the 124gr +p in the IWBA heavy clothing test.

The tests in which the 147gr really shined were through solid barriers. As a non-LEO, I was thinking that I didn't need the same kind of hard barrier penetration as a LEO would.