PDA

View Full Version : Texas State Guard/TMAR

USMC8531RET
05-23-11, 19:31
Anybody have any experience with these guys? I'm a retired USMC SSgt looking to possibly join the Texas Maritime Regiment of the Texas State Guard.

trroger
06-08-11, 21:49
I've been in the Maritime Regiment for about 3 years and I've really enjoyed it. Where in Texas do you live?

USMC8531RET
06-08-11, 21:54
Beaumont/Port Arthur area.

trroger
06-08-11, 22:27
You would most likely be in the 1st Bn. in Houston. If you are interested, I'll be happy to answer what questions I can. I could also put you in touch with one of our Marines if you would like. You can send an email to me at trroger11@yahoo.com.

USMC8531RET
06-08-11, 22:30
I'm already in contact. They want me to start a det in Beaumont. I have some family issues going on right now, but will probably join within the next 90 days.

trroger
06-08-11, 23:12
I hope the issues get resolved OK. I look forward to meeting you.

Sry0fcr
06-09-11, 08:00
I've been considering the TSG as well, what's the time commitment like/drill schedule? I'm in NE Houston/Humble/Atascocita so I'd be 8th Reg. IIRC.

trroger
06-10-11, 23:42
Drills are one weekend per month with Annual Training in the summer which lasts four or five days (Wednesday or Thursday through Sunday). There are opportunities for additional training, but those are usually optional. Deployments for a hurricane typically last from three to five days. Since I am in the Maritime Regiment (TMAR), I don't know much about operations or training in the 8th (but I'm pretty sure we have more fun in TMAR). I know that a major part of their mission is shelter management. In TMAR we work around the water, as the name suggests. There are a couple of Air Wings that are pretty heavily involved in communications from what I've seen (they really do have some cool equipment).

USMC8531RET
06-10-11, 23:46
Any weapons qual or are weapons generally not required?

Iraqgunz
06-11-11, 01:58
I have a question about the Texas State Guard. How does one get rank? Is the rank more like an honorary thing?

USMC8531RET
06-11-11, 07:53
The way it was explained to me, I retired as a SSgt so I would enlist as a Gunny. It's a real rank, with no pay. I was commissioned an Admiral in the Texas Navy by Rick Perry when I retired from the Marine Corps. There aren't any ships or sailors in the Texas Navy, but it's a real commission.

Nightgunner
11-29-11, 15:03
If any of y'all are wanting to join, I have Four Sets of ACUs size Large/Reg with the TXSG patches and tapes. Not free, but pretty close. Just PM Me.

Nightgunner
11-29-11, 15:06
I have a question about the Texas State Guard. How does one get rank? Is the rank more like an honorary thing?

Prior service keep their last rank. Persons with no PS usually enter at PFC unless they have a 4yr and then may become Comm. after completing BOC (Basic Officer's Course).