PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for Denver-area gunshops with good AR choices?

ramsker
05-23-11, 20:18
I've been looking around the site and trying to educate myself . . . prety much a noob in general when it comes to guns, although I do own a Browning .40 Hi-Power. Anyway, I've loved the look of the M-16 since I was a kid and always told myself that someday I'd try to get something that looked like it. So at this point, I'm looking to buy my very first AR.

Is there anyone here who lives in or near Denver and has recommendations on good gunshops to check them out in person? I've been to Green Mountain Guns and they had what seemed like a good selection to look at and were helpful. Prairie Arms only had a couple. But I'd like to look around and see what else is out there that I can actually get in my hands and research in person. If anyone has recommendations of places to look I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-23-11, 20:19
If you are willing to drive to Loveland then Jensen Arms is a damn good place to start. Sorry, no info on Denver. I know of a Class 3 dealer in Longmont but I cant remember the name right now.

ramsker
05-23-11, 20:26
If you are willing to drive to Loveland then Jensen Arms is a damn good place to start. Sorry, no info on Denver. I know of a Class 3 dealer in Longmont but I cant remember the name right now.

Thank you . . . Loveland's not a terrible drive, so I may check that out. If I took an afternoon of work, I'd be almost halfway there compared to my house. If you think of the one in Longmont, let me know as well.

MistWolf
05-23-11, 20:37
It's good to shop around and it's even better to do some research before letting anyone talk you into plunking down your hard earned cash on an AR. There have been a couple- three folks that have come on here excited about their new Bushmaster/Delton/DPMS only to find out they could have gotten a better quality rifle for the same price, or just a few bucks more.

Before you inadvertently become That Guy, do yourself a favor and read the stickied threads and follow the links and find out why folks around here like Colt/BCM/Daniel Defense/Noveske/Knight's Armament and why Bushmaster/Delton/DPMS gets no respect. Find the orange SEARCH button near the top and say "Hello" to your little friend.

When you ask which carbine to buy, don't be surprised when the advice is "buy a plain jane quality carbine, ammo, mags, a class, more ammo and shoot it before customizing it".

Welcome to the forum

ramsker
05-23-11, 20:53
It's good to shop around and it's even better to do some research before letting anyone talk you into plunking down your hard earned cash on an AR. There have been a couple- three folks that have come on here excited about their new Bushmaster/Delton/DPMS only to find out they could have gotten a better quality rifle for the same price, or just a few bucks more.

Before you inadvertently become That Guy, do yourself a favor and read the stickied threads and follow the links and find out why folks around here like Colt/BCM/Daniel Defense/Noveske/Knight's Armament and why Bushmaster/Delton/DPMS gets no respect. Find the orange SEARCH button near the top and say "Hello" to your little friend.

When you ask which carbine to buy, don't be surprised when the advice is "buy a plain jane quality carbine, ammo, mags, a class, more ammo and shoot it before customizing it".

Welcome to the forum

Yep . . . I've been reading through a bunch on here already trying to get caught up on the basics. I definitely saw the info on the buyer's remorse for some with those models, so trying to avoid making that mistake myself. I'm looking for something more "entry level" (if there is such an animal that is decent) and will have around $1200 to spend that I'd like to stay at if possible. Want to shoot the dickens out of something and just get some experience before I dump a lot of money into it.

Out of the ones I looked at so far--and granted there weren't a ton--I kind of liked the feel/look of the Smith & Wesson MP15 . . . but I believe it was a Sport. Liked the way it felt, but I think that might be a little lower on the scale that I could/should consider. The shop had some Bushmasters but they did not speak highly of them. I kind of ran out of time to look that day, so I will probably go back and look at some of the others they had.

So the education definitely continues.

Toyoland66
05-23-11, 21:04
Buying a S&W or Bushy or less to get something "entry level" is false economy. For the budget listed you can get a better rifle with better resale value if you decide to eventually upgrade.

Do a little reading on this site and you will find a few names recommended often

M4Fundi
05-23-11, 22:15
The Gun Room & Green Mountain Guns in Lakewood and the Firing Line in ?. Call them first and see what they have in. Good Luck.

Redberens
05-23-11, 22:43
Look at 5280 Armory in Arvada. Good selection and he'll order in anything. Jensens in Loveland would be my other choice. There is one saleman there however that will tell you the Stag Arms and Saber Defense AR's are better than Colt and LMT, so take him with a grain of salt. Jensens also has a good selection of accessories and ammunition too.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-23-11, 23:00
Again, unable to speak on Denver. But, Jensens has LMT Carbines, LMT MRP's, Colt 6920's, and Noveskes in stock right now I believe. Im going on leave at the end of this week and I'll be buying an LMT lower from them for my MRP upper. If you go, ask for Bob and he should be able to give you a good price as he's the owner.

M4Fundi
05-23-11, 23:44
The Firing Line is the closest to DT Denver that I know of and they do have a website.

Oh and GMGuns in Lakewood has the best prices on ammo I found anywhere in the Denver area. There is also a really good and big store in Colorado Springs with a huge selection and good prices on cases of ammo.

BCmJUnKie
05-24-11, 00:30
If you want to drive an hour south to Colo. Springs, Specialty Sports is worth checking out. They have everything from P90's to
Barrett .50 to Steyr Aug. Scar and ACR. Any AR you could want, not to mention any pistol you can think of is there. Is kinda pricey though...but its amazing. Im thinking the poster above me is mentioning it

jmart
05-24-11, 07:53
If you decide to trek down to the Springs, also check out Bravo Arms on South Union, just a block or two north of Pikes Peak. They're close to Lorig's Western Clothing store. The sign is small and parking is in back, it's not terribly well marked. The place is small but they cram a lot of product in there.

ramsker
05-24-11, 08:23
Really appreciate all the suggestions and comments, guys . . . thank you! You've given me some great info and a bunch of places to check out. I'm only an hour or so from Loveland and the Springs, so I may just make those treks to see what there is to see.

Not sure how much I'll get done this week . . . incredibly busy at work and my boss is on vacation, so I have all his work plus then mine. Then Memorial Day weekend, but maybe that's a good time to look around--not sure if the gun shops close or if that's big sales time for them.

ramsker
05-24-11, 08:38
Oh and GMGuns in Lakewood has the best prices on ammo I found anywhere in the Denver area.

They seemed pretty good there at Green Mountain Guns . . . helpful/friendly/knowledgeable. I actually found them because my wife wanted to buy a handgun to get into shooting--who am I to argue. LOL. So we bought her a Ruger 9mm the other week. I bought some ammo for my .40 and it seemed reasonable.

When I was in there the other day looking at AR's they mentioned they had a sale on .223 ammo running. I would have no idea what a good price would be and since I wasn't buying I didn't write the price down. But if anyone needs ammo and is in town might be worth a call to see if they are still having the sale.

I need to go back over to look at what else they had . . . they had a few more AR's but I only had about 45 minutes to look and chat with them on a lunch break before meetings. Not a huge selection, but more than a handful.

BCmJUnKie
05-24-11, 10:14
If you decide to trek down to the Springs, also check out Bravo Arms on South Union, just a block or two north of Pikes Peak. They're close to Lorig's Western Clothing store. The sign is small and parking is in back, it's not terribly well marked. The place is small but they cram a lot of product in there.

Nice...I didnt know about this place. Thanks for posting this

ac130usnsr
05-24-11, 12:07
Definately 5280 Armory in Arvada. Super store with an unbelievable stock. I usually travel to the Denver area a few times a year on business and always make a point of stopping at 5280 Armory at least once each trip (and usually end up taking a rifle back across the country with me too). Their prices on low and mid tier ARs are somewhat high to OK, but their prices on high end rifles are usually the same or more often better than what you can find scouring the internet.

ETA: The last time I was there, in April, my buddy got a DDM4V3, out the door, for about $1200. He could have also gotten a Colt LE6920 from them for about $150 less.

Pilot1
05-24-11, 12:10
The Firingline is in Aurora, but last time I was in there they didn't have a lot of AR's. I also second 5280 or drive to Loveland and go to Jensens.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-24-11, 12:13
The Firingline is in Aurora, but last time I was in there they didn't have a lot of AR's. I also second 5280 or drive to Loveland and go to Jensens.

I believe I bought a P220 from the Firing Line a few years back, they were pretty much straight pistols and traditional hunting rifles as far as I remember. I havent been that way for while so they may have changed with the 08 craze.

polymorpheous
05-24-11, 12:30
OP,

You have a $1200 budget. If it were me, this is how I'd go.

Find a kitchen table FFL in your area. They usually charge around $25 for the transfer. Tell them you want to order a lower receiver.

Complete Bravo Company lower (cosmetic blem) for $289
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM

Complete Bravo Company M4 profile upper, (or you could wait for a different profile to come back in stock) for $581
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM

Get a Colt or BCM carry handle off of the EE for around $60. (Or a Magpul MBUS for about the same) And you're looking at $955 total plus shipping.

You can use the left over $250 on mags ,http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGG10.aspx , and ammo.

Best of luck to you and welcome aboard!

BTW: G&R and DSG ship very fast.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-24-11, 12:34
OP,

You have a $1200 budget. If it were me, this is how I'd go.

Find a kitchen table FFL in your area. They usually charge around $25 for the transfer. Tell them you want to order a lower receiver.

Complete Bravo Company lower (cosmetic blem) for $289
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM

Complete Bravo Company M4 profile upper, (or you could wait for a different profile to come back in stock) for $581
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM

Get a Colt or BCM carry handle off of the EE for around $60. (Or a Magpul MBUS for about the same) And you're looking at $955 total plus shipping.

You can use the left over $250 on mags ,http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGG10.aspx , and ammo.

Best of luck to you and welcome aboard!

BTW: G&R and DSG ship very fast.

Or, he could supports his local mom and pop's and buy a 6920 for nearly the same cost.

polymorpheous
05-24-11, 12:36
Or, he could supports his local mom and pop's and buy a 6920 for nearly the same cost.

There's 6920s in that area for less than a grand?
JUMP on that!

Otherwise, IMHO, this is the best bang for the buck, (no puns please).

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-24-11, 13:09
There's 6920s in that area for less than a grand?
JUMP on that!

Otherwise, IMHO, this is the best bang for the buck, (no puns please).

Ive seen 6920's go for $950-1150 depending on the store. I know for a fact that Jensen Arms has LMT uppers w/BCG for $500, and LMT Lowers with Sopmod and 2 Stage for $510, which is a killer deal.

ramsker
05-25-11, 20:45
Quick update . . .

I stopped by 5280 Armory on the way home from work and checked it out. Great store. Talked with a guy there and he made some recommendations based on the budget range I was trying to stay in. I really liked the Rock River Tactical Operator . . . great feel and seemed like it had a lot to offer. Quad rail, flip front sight, chromed BCG, dust guard, forward assist. Their price is $970 and they have stock. So right now, it's early still . . . but that's the leader in the clubhouse at this point.

They had some other choices around that range. There was a Colt 6940 that was a few hundred more, but frankly I liked the way the Rock River felt a lot better.

I may still try to get to Jensen's up in Loveland or the place in the Springs that was mentioned. Those are a little more than an hour from the house, so we'll see if those work out or not. But I'm really glad I made the trip over to 5280 today to see some other options for comparison.

Fuzzy-Reticle
05-25-11, 21:05
In Denver 5280 Armory. Good selection in stock and very good prices from budget starter rifles to full on get a divorce price range. His personal collection of AKs is truly impressive. Nice guys.

Jensen is ok. His prices are pretty good. Usually a lot of Rock River on hand with a few Colts sprinkled in. They have had a large supply of LMT lowers on hand for a while. Decent prices on stripped and complete lowers from Rock River and some others. Great LEO discounts and a great selection of magazines and ammo. Good selection of AR parts and optics. Bob is bat shit crazy but a nice guy. I like Bob very much and have dropped my share of coin in his store. Class III and has a decent selection of suppressors and a few SBR's.

Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs has the largest selection of EVERYTHING that goes bang under the sun West of Chicago. No BS! If you want it NOW and don't mind paying FULL MSRP then this is your place. Want a Barrret .50 and a Ruger LCP and a Kights SR25 not a problem. Hk556 - Check, Colt SAA-Check, Sako TRG-Check. Get the picture. If you want it they got it but you pay for the privledge of not waiting. Class III dealing in some suppressors.

Hands down the best prices in CO are Bravo Arms in Colorado Springs. They are not the largest in this group but they are the nicest and down to earth guys in the business. They have fantastic prices and will match pretty much any non-internet prices. They do have the best selection of Arsenal Ak rifles. If you are into high end long range stuff this is your store. Everh handle a McMillan .50 and .408 Cheytec Windjammer? You can at this store. Fulton Armory M1a's in stock every day. FALs,-check. They have a great approach to firearms. Keep it simple and only use gear that works and is proven. The are also Class III and deal in SBR's and suppressors.

The guys at Green Mountain are nice enough but they are high priced IMHO and dont really have a great selection.

JMHO but I have lived in CO for 40 years now and have been to them all.

polymorpheous
05-25-11, 22:05
Quick update . . .

I stopped by 5280 Armory on the way home from work and checked it out. Great store. Talked with a guy there and he made some recommendations based on the budget range I was trying to stay in. I really liked the Rock River Tactical Operator . . . great feel and seemed like it had a lot to offer. Quad rail, flip front sight, chromed BCG, dust guard, forward assist. Their price is $970 and they have stock. So right now, it's early still . . . but that's the leader in the clubhouse at this point.

They had some other choices around that range. There was a Colt 6940 that was a few hundred more, but frankly I liked the way the Rock River felt a lot better.

I may still try to get to Jensen's up in Loveland or the place in the Springs that was mentioned. Those are a little more than an hour from the house, so we'll see if those work out or not. But I'm really glad I made the trip over to 5280 today to see some other options for comparison.

You'd be getting a mediocre rifle for the about same price as a BCM for $970.

I suggest you read around this forum more before you make your purchase.

ramsker
05-25-11, 22:18
You'd be getting a mediocre rifle for the about same price as a BCM for $970.

I suggest you read around this forum more before you make your purchase.

I'm most definitely still reading up and shopping around. Just posting up what I saw today in comparison to what I saw at the other shop I've been to so far. Nowhere near ready to lay down any cabbage on anything yet.

polymorpheous
05-25-11, 22:25
Here's a couple of good ones for you! ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

DeusExMachina
05-25-11, 22:42
If you are looking for AR parts/accessories, and want to ask questions about the AR as a platform, I cannot recommend Bowers Tactical more. Mike and Rob are great people.

They do not have an FFL yet, but if you have questions or need parts/accessories, that's the place. http://www.bowerstactical.com

(No I do not work there, but I've probably spent enough money to own a share by now :lol:)

ramsker
05-26-11, 10:27
Got an email back from the guys at Bravo Arms in Colorado Springs. I asked if they carried any Colt, Noveske, LMT, BCM, or DD carbines since it's a bit of a drive to make if it's not worth the trip. Here was their response (by the way I mentined this site to them and they said "Thanks for thinking of them!):

"We have 2 Colt rifles in stock. A model 6520 and a model 6721. They are true mil-spec guns with all of the cool evil features. The 6520 is $1129.95 and the 6721 is $1279.95. We are an LMT dealer however we do not have any in stock at the moment. If there is a model you are after, we can order it. Just let us know."

Looked at both online . . . they look nice! The 6520 would be within my range--the 6721 is a little higher but not a ton. And from the comments I've gotten here and other threads I know that Colt is recommended. So I will have to see about getting down to the Springs and checking them out. Are there any particular LMT models that you guys think highly of that I should peruse online to ask about?

polymorpheous
05-26-11, 10:32
Got an email back from the guys at Bravo Arms in Colorado Springs. I asked if they carried any Colt, Noveske, LMT, BCM, or DD carbines since it's a bit of a drive to make if it's not worth the trip. Here was their response (by the way I mentined this site to them and they said "Thanks for thinking of them!):

"We have 2 Colt rifles in stock. A model 6520 and a model 6721. They are true mil-spec guns with all of the cool evil features. The 6520 is $1129.95 and the 6721 is $1279.95. We are an LMT dealer however we do not have any in stock at the moment. If there is a model you are after, we can order it. Just let us know."

Looked at both online . . . they look nice! The 6520 would be within my range--the 6721 is a little higher but not a ton. And from the comments I've gotten here and other threads I know that Colt is recommended. So I will have to see about getting down to the Springs and checking them out. Are there any particular LMT models that you guys think highly of that I should peruse online to ask about?

The 6520 is an A2 upper.
Meaning a fixed carry handle.

As for the 6721...
Here's thread for you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41436

ramsker
05-27-11, 19:27
Just posting the latest in "as the AR turns" for this noob . . .

Still reading up and researching. I did some poking around on BCM carbines and found that they are distributed through RSR Group..called them to ask about pricing and they just said you can go to most local gun dealers and they can order. Looked on the RSR Group's website and came across a BCM M4 Mod 2 (BCM650-133) that looked like it had practically everything on the plus side from "the chart". And I know that BCM is a name that seems to be all over the place for being higher quality--and was specifically recommended in responses here.

So I called 5280 Armory which was highly recommended by a bunch of folks here . . . and a place that was pretty helpful when I stopped in the other day to look around. I was a little surprised (and now a little more than confused) after talking to the guy at 5280. He took down the model # and called me right back. The price to me would be $1300 + tax.

But the surprising part was, the guy's reaction was kind of puzzled as to why I'd have an interest in the BCM. He pretty much said "I mean--I'll order you whatever you want . . . but there really isn't anything special about that BCM. It's pretty high priced and really there are just as good rifles with some better features here for less money." He encouraged me to come back by and look around and ask questions, etc.

But I was kind of expecting a reaction like . . . hey, that's a great choice . . . rather than hmmmmmm, why would you want that???

polymorpheous
05-27-11, 20:06

Still reading up and researching. I did some poking around on BCM carbines and found that they are distributed through RSR Group..called them to ask about pricing and they just said you can go to most local gun dealers and they can order. Looked on the RSR Group's website and came across a BCM M4 Mod 2 (BCM650-133) that looked like it had practically everything on the plus side from "the chart". And I know that BCM is a name that seems to be all over the place for being higher quality--and was specifically recommended in responses here.

So I called 5280 Armory which was highly recommended by a bunch of folks here . . . and a place that was pretty helpful when I stopped in the other day to look around. I was a little surprised (and now a little more than confused) after talking to the guy at 5280. He took down the model # and called me right back. The price to me would be $1300 + tax.

But the surprising part was, the guy's reaction was kind of puzzled as to why I'd have an interest in the BCM. He pretty much said "I mean--I'll order you whatever you want . . . but there really isn't anything special about that BCM. It's pretty high priced and really there are just as good rifles with some better features here for less money." He encouraged me to come back by and look around and ask questions, etc.

But I was kind of expecting a reaction like . . . hey, that's a great choice . . . rather than hmmmmmm, why would you want that???

$1300 isn't that bad considering it has a rail and a BUIS.

But I wouldn't be put off by his attitude about BCM.
He probably doesn't like it because he doesn't sell it.
That's how gun stores are.

ramsker
05-27-11, 20:32
$1300 isn't that bad considering it has a rail and a BUIS.

But I wouldn't be put off by his attitude about BCM.
He probably doesn't like it because he doesn't sell it.
That's how gun stores are.

Yeah, maybe because they don't sell them . . . I don't know. That really threw me off. But I'm sure they put whatever markup on it they want, so I wouldn't think they would play it down because they make less $$ off that sale or anything. Kind of stumped me. IIt wasn;t like he was rude at all or condescending--he was just kind of nonplused about it. I also called Bravo arms in the Springs to get a comparison quote from them as well. They were a few bucks higher than 5280 for the same rifle but not a large amount. So $1300 sounds about the going rate to get into that BCM.

It would be a little more than I intended to spend. But I'm seriously considering it based on the comments/reputation. That Rock River I looked at was basically $1000 . . . and it sounds like the BCM is a much better choice for only a few hundred more.

polymorpheous
05-27-11, 20:40
Yeah, maybe because they don't sell them . . . I don't know. That really threw me off. But I'm sure they put whatever markup on it they want, so I wouldn't think they would play it down because they make less $$ off that sale or anything. Kind of stumped me. IIt wasn;t like he was rude at all or condescending--he was just kind of nonplused about it. I also called Bravo arms in the Springs to get a comparison quote from them as well. They were a few bucks higher than 5280 for the same rifle but not a large amount. So $1300 sounds about the going rate to get into that BCM.

It would be a little more than I intended to spend. But I'm seriously considering it based on the comments/reputation. That Rock River I looked at was basically $1000 . . . and it sounds like the BCM is a much better choice for only a few hundred more.

Do you need a rail?
You could order the BCM MID-16 Mod0 if you need to hand a light or a forward grip off of it.

http://www.rsrgroup.com/catalog/product/BCM750-121

ramsker
05-27-11, 20:55
Do you need a rail?
You could order the BCM MID-16 Mod0 if you need to hand a light or a forward grip off of it.

http://www.rsrgroup.com/catalog/product/BCM750-121

Honestly . . . I probably don't need the rail. I was just kind of looking at it as having the quadrail and folding rear sight like the RRA I checked out. If that adds much cost I could definitely live without it. The Mod 0's are flat tops . . . do you just order a folding rear sight as an add-on?

Also, would the carbine likely be less expensive than the mid-length. I did some quick searched on the mid-length vs carbine and it sounded like carbine was still a decent choice and maybe less expensive if it ever needed work/updates? Maybe this is a good option as well? http://www.rsrgroup.com/catalog/product/BCM650-111

polymorpheous
05-27-11, 21:05
Honestly . . . I probably don't need the rail. I was just kind of looking at it as having the quadrail and folding rear sight like the RRA I checked out. If that adds much cost I could definitely live without it. The Mod 0's are flat tops . . . do you just order a folding rear sight as an add-on?

Also, would the carbine likely be less expensive than the mid-length. I did some quick searched on the mid-length vs carbine and it sounded like carbine was still a decent choice and maybe less expensive if it ever needed work/updates? Maybe this is a good option as well? http://www.rsrgroup.com/catalog/product/BCM650-111

Yes, you would still need a rear sight for the mid length.
Magpul makes one for $55.
Daniel Defense, Troy, and LaRue all make fixed rear sights for around $65.

IMHO, the mid length gas system is the way to go for a 16" barrel.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71437

ac130usnsr
05-27-11, 23:01

That's probably because they don't stock BCM and they can probably give you a better deal on a carbine that they have in stock. Any retailer would rather move current inventory than sell a special order in lieu of what they already have in stock.

Did you look at any of the Daniel Defense carbines that they have in stock? I think the best deal they had when I was last in there was DDM4V3's for $1145. I really think you'd be hard pressed to beat that price. The DD is every bit the equal of any BCM and for the extra $175 over the BCM you get ~$300 worth of Omega X free float quad rail plus a vertical forward grip, a great BUIS, PMAG, hard plastic case and DD's great CS and warranty.

If you don't like the DD, I believe they had Colt 6920's for slightly less.

Either one would be far better than the RRA.

ramsker
05-28-11, 06:41
That's probably because they don't stock BCM and they can probably give you a better deal on a carbine that they have in stock. Any retailer would rather move current inventory than sell a special order in lieu of what they already have in stock.

Did you look at any of the Daniel Defense carbines that they have in stock? I think the best deal they had when I was last in there was DDM4V3's for $1145. I really think you'd be hard pressed to beat that price. The DD is every bit the equal of any BCM and for the extra $175 over the BCM you get ~$300 worth of Omega X free float quad rail plus a vertical forward grip, a great BUIS, PMAG, hard plastic case and DD's great CS and warranty.

If you don't like the DD, I believe they had Colt 6920's for slightly less.

Either one would be far better than the RRA.

Makes sense that they would want to move what they have. Hadn't really thought of that.

I hadn't looked at the DD options they had yet. When I went there it was on the way home from work and I had another commitment to get to, so I had time to look around for about 30 minutes initially. I'm planning to go back up maybe even today (if they are open) and take another look around. I'll make it a point to ask about the DD specifically--thanks for that suggestion!

Seems like they did not have a Colt 6920 when I was up there, but maybe I just had not looked at it yet. The guy showed me a Colt but it definitely wasn't a 6920. I remember that I didn't like the feel of it at all for some reason--but again, it was a different model.

The ones I held there were the RRA, a Bushmaster, the Colt (which I think was some kind of solid rail all the way down the top and was really heavy) and there were a couple others that I hadn't heard mentioned here that I didn't like the feel of particularly.

mpardun
05-28-11, 07:11
I was there on Thursday (26th) and they had 20+ in stock, incl a nice Stoner SR25.

I have purchased over 6 AR's over the last few years and F.L. sold them all. Ask for Richard, one of the managers and a good guy/friend/straight shooter, he'll work with you on price & trade ins. They are also very friendly if you buy from site sponsors (G&R or BCM) and simply need an FFL. They are good people and have a decent selection of AR upgrade parts & optics as well.

Top Shelf AR's carried: Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense, COLT, LMT, KAC
NOT so top shelf IMHO: LWRC, POF, M&P, Bushy, RRA, (Bushy ACR)

**They have a used (never fired) FDE Scar 16 for $2,200 (NEW Black for $2,600)

polymorpheous
05-28-11, 08:27
Can't make any argument against the poster above.

Daniel Defense is a great company,that makes an awesome product, and hes excellent customer service.

A DDM4V3 for $1100 is a good price. They use hammer forged barrels. The OmegaX is lightweight and has swivel sockets built in. All you need is good sling to get started.

OP, I really wish I had your problems! :lol:

ramsker
05-28-11, 08:39
OP, I really wish I had your problems! :lol:

Now I know what my wife goes through when she shops for shoes . . . decisions, decisions.

:D

ramsker
05-28-11, 15:16
I was there on Thursday (26th) and they had 20+ in stock, incl a nice Stoner SR25.

I have purchased over 6 AR's over the last few years and F.L. sold them all. Ask for Richard, one of the managers and a good guy/friend/straight shooter, he'll work with you on price & trade ins. They are also very friendly if you buy from site sponsors (G&R or BCM) and simply need an FFL. They are good people and have a decent selection of AR upgrade parts & optics as well.

Top Shelf AR's carried: Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense, COLT, LMT, KAC
NOT so top shelf IMHO: LWRC, POF, M&P, Bushy, RRA, (Bushy ACR)

**They have a used (never fired) FDE Scar 16 for $2,200 (NEW Black for $2,600)

I cruised over to Firing Line today to check them out . . . great place and great group of guys. I spoke with Richard a little bit, but talked a lot with Mathhew. They had a pretty good selection of a lot of the manufacturers that you guys had recommended. They were really helpful in showing me the ones that were in the range I was looking for in particular. They did not have all in stock, but they got me pricing on a few.

I forgot to ask about the DDM4V3 that ac130usnsr mentioned from 5280 Armory. I'll have to call Firing Line back and ask and then I still plan to make a run by 5280 to check into what they have again.

But from the Firing Line selection they had--or could get--the following, all of which were basically the same price (between $1,100 - $1,160). Would be tough to choose if I end up picking one of these . . . but the guys there said I couldn't go wrong with any of them if I went in that direction.

- Colt M4 Carbine (had in stock...very nice feel)

- Daniel Defense M4 Carbine (had in stock...liked it too...very similar to the Colt in feel)

- BCM Mid-16 Mod (0) BCM750-121(could order)

- BCM M4 Mod(0) Carbine BCM650-111 (they had one that was sold that I got a quick look at but they could order)

So still some research and looking around to do. The Colt, DD, and BCM all felt great in my hands. Could almost flip a coin between the carbines--I might be leaning to liking the DD just a bit more. Again--they are basically all the same price. Then I have to consider that one middy in there . . . geez, shopping sucks!

:fie: :D

ramsker
05-31-11, 21:01
Well, guys . . . I made the leap today! I am now the proud owner of a Daniel Defense M4! Picked it up this afternoon from Firing Line in Denver.

So many choices out there, and I want to thank everyone for all of their patience, comments, and suggestions! As someone who came here knowing NOTHING about AR's, it was awesome to have the resources to make what I think was a solid choice for me as a "starter" weapon to get my feet wet.

I plan to shoot the hell out of the M4 and to get some experience with it. Down the road, who knows . . . I can add to what I have or even look to add something else to the collection. But I have a feeling I am going to be more than happy with this purchase! Can't wait to get it up to our cabin and put some rounds through it!

ac130usnsr
06-03-11, 00:50
Congrats on the DD, great choice. Which version DDM4 did you end up getting? Anyhow, enjoy your DD and shoot the piss out of it!

C4IGrant
06-03-11, 09:50

First rule to understand about gun dealers. They GENERALLY know nothing about the guns they sell.

Second rule to understand about gun dealers that sell AR's. They GENERALLY have either never heard of BCM or don't understand why BCM is better than most anything else available.

Just as an FYI, RSR is going to take their cut and then send it to your FFL dealer who is going to mark it up again. So I would suggest buying a BCM rifle from either Bravo Company USA or us and then have it shipped to your local dealer. You will also avoid sales tax this way and make the gun much cheaper.

C4

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-03-11, 10:51
Well, guys . . . I made the leap today! I am now the proud owner of a Daniel Defense M4! Picked it up this afternoon from Firing Line in Denver.

So many choices out there, and I want to thank everyone for all of their patience, comments, and suggestions! As someone who came here knowing NOTHING about AR's, it was awesome to have the resources to make what I think was a solid choice for me as a "starter" weapon to get my feet wet.

I plan to shoot the hell out of the M4 and to get some experience with it. Down the road, who knows . . . I can add to what I have or even look to add something else to the collection. But I have a feeling I am going to be more than happy with this purchase! Can't wait to get it up to our cabin and put some rounds through it!

Hope to see you at the local carbine/rifle/3-gun matches. Check out Zak's site for a summary of the matches:

http://coloradomultigun.com/

and up to date infor on matches at:

co-ar15.com

ramsker
06-03-11, 12:23
Hope to see you at the local carbine/rifle/3-gun matches. Check out Zak's site for a summary of the matches:

http://coloradomultigun.com/

and up to date infor on matches at:

co-ar15.com

Thanks! I will have to check that out. I am literally starting from a blank slate here . . . so I have a ton of learning (and shooting) to do. Great to see all the Colorado-based folks here! Get readyfor lots of questions from the "Noob".

ramsker
06-03-11, 12:26
Congrats on the DD, great choice. Which version DDM4 did you end up getting? Anyhow, enjoy your DD and shoot the piss out of it!

I just went with the DDM4 XV EZ . . . really basic, but I thought that it would be a good choice for a first AR. There were lots of different options at that price range and great names as recommended by the nice folks here. I was torn bewteen a Colt, a couple BCMs, and this one. Sounded like any of them would have been good choices so I just went with this one.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-03-11, 12:29
I just went with the DDM4 XV EZ . . . really basic, but I thought that it would be a good choice for a first AR. There were lots of different options at that price range and great names as recommended by the nice folks here. I was torn bewteen a Colt, a couple BCMs, and this one. Sounded like any of them would have been good choices so I just went with this one.

Good choice. Shoot it like crazy and then upgrade as needed.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-03-11, 14:55
Good choice. Shoot it like crazy and then upgrade as needed.

Rinse and repeat.

The only people that should have one AR are the people that have just bought their first one.

M4Fundi
06-03-11, 19:05
Since I suggested the Firing Line I expect to get to shoot it some day :p

You really should go shoot with Cold Dead Hands at Zak's shoot and down at the Pueblo shoot. They are excellent shoots with very safe, switched on and helpful guys!

ramsker
06-03-11, 19:56

You really should go shoot with Cold Dead Hands at Zak's shoot and down at the Pueblo shoot. They are excellent shoots with very safe, switched on and helpful guys!

You can shoot it anytime, brother! :D

Thanks again for the suggestion to head over there! Good group of guys and very helpful (and patient). I'll check out the website and maybe try to get to one of the events. Sounds like a good time and I'd welcome the chance to learn a lot more from the experts.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-04-11, 01:10

You can shoot it anytime, brother! :D

Thanks again for the suggestion to head over there! Good group of guys and very helpful (and patient). I'll check out the website and maybe try to get to one of the events. Sounds like a good time and I'd welcome the chance to learn a lot more from the experts.

I'd be honored. M4Fundi took me under his wing at when I first started going to Zak's shoots at Weld. It's my turn to help out. My wife said that due to work and vacation schedules, I don't know when I'll get a free weekend day soon though...

M4Fundi
06-04-11, 02:34
Ramsker
Congrats again. Good choice for first AR. Richard Taylor over at the Firing Line is former Brit Mil and is buddies with LAV and is pretty switched on guy. Even if FromMyColdDeadHands can't make it out, you really should get out to Zak or Hoser's shoots and those guys will give you a warm welcome and be VERY helpful. Just leave your pride at home and take lots of ammo and an open mind and they will be glad to show you anything and let you shoot some great rifles with lots of great glass. Don't be intimidated... after one shoot you will probably just be one of the boys. Zak can give you directions to some good locations to shoot our at Pawnee Grasslands also which is a good resource to practice for free and out past 1000 yds. Good luck!