PDA

View Full Version : 5/8 thread on my 5.56 - Will any comp do?

xanderzuk
05-23-11, 20:43
I have 5/8 threading on the end of my 5.56. I'm thinking of adding a PWS or Surefire compensator and was wondering if having to go to the larger .30 cal comp's to accommodate the threading will have any adverse reactions on the performance of my gun.

It seems as though the .30 cal comps, especially the PWS, are much longer/larger. I didn't know if this would reduce their capability or cause the exiting gasses to act funny on a 5.56.

Sorry if this is a silly question. :confused:

xanderzuk
05-24-11, 14:42
Anyone?
Sorry to bump, I'm just trying to get this figured out so I can order one.

87GN
05-24-11, 14:53
Who threaded it 5/8? That's pretty cool. I assume 5/8-24. If so, any of the 30 cal ones will attach. You might not get the same exact effect as if you had a 5.56 type device, but it'll still have most of the same benefits.

You might consider the standard A2 size device threaded 5/8-24; not the enlarged A2 but the standard size one. It works quite well, and won't be large or heavy.

xanderzuk
05-24-11, 15:05
It's an AR Performance 5.56 that he threaded 5/8. According to Harrison, the guy that owns it, the standard half inch effects accuracy. How valid this is I don't know.

So do you think the larger diameter bore of a .30 cal comp will reduce the effectiveness of its recoil reduction?

What exactly is it the A2 will do? I thought that was just a flash hider, not a compensator.

Are there any compensators that are the same overall size, just different threading and bore diameter?

87GN
05-24-11, 15:12
I was wondering if it was him.

Well, I've never done it, so I can't be sure. I don't like commenting on things I've never done. It would all be speculation on my part, which I've done enough of already.

The A2 will drive the muzzle downwards as well as reduce flash. It doesn't do anything for recoil. It would be cheap for you to try, if you don't like it, you're not out $100-150.

Darkop
05-24-11, 15:40
Why not use an AR performance muzzle device?. They seem to have many different styles, threaded for 5/8X24.

Until that day,
Darkop

xanderzuk
05-24-11, 16:39
Why not use an AR performance muzzle device?. They seem to have many different styles, threaded for 5/8X24.

Until that day,
Darkop

Well I actually have their ITS HF 4x4 brake. You can block the ports off or open them up. I can't tell a difference either way, it just feel like a regular flash hider to me. So I'm looking for something a little more effective.