PDA

View Full Version : NOT getting a Cold steel great sword

toasterlocker
05-24-11, 01:25
Not that I was really thinking about getting one in the first place, but the beginning of the video made me want one, and the end effectively killed the desire...

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/cold-steel-blade

SW-Shooter
05-24-11, 02:55
Holeeee shitake. I would have shat me britches. Fuuuuuk Cold "that's gonna break" Steel.

Moose-Knuckle
05-24-11, 03:19
I don't know what's worse, people who make that kind of shit or the people who buy that kind of shit. . .?

Suwannee Tim
05-24-11, 05:06
C'mon guys! They are almost as good as the top tier swords and if the blade flies out of the handle, you just glue it back in and keep chopping!

toasterlocker
05-24-11, 11:07
C'mon, anyone who says they didn't want one after seeing that overweight mustachioed man in a tie cut two pigs in half at once is a liar.:D

Seriously though, I physically puckered at the end of the video. Scary stuff.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-24-11, 11:17
I HATE ColdSteel Knives. That Tosh.O segment on this was hilarious though.

Trajan
05-24-11, 11:56
Tosh.O and South Park are really the only shows worth watching on that network, but I rarely watch TV except for the news.

He really should have been wearing eyepro when he attacked that coffee maker.

I don't know what's worse, people who make that kind of shit or the people who buy that kind of shit. . .?
Have you seen the kind of people who buy swords (for real)?

SteyrAUG
05-24-11, 12:24
While I agree that Cold Steel swords are not the end all, be all of swords I can also tell you that no swords are designed for serious impact. All things eventually will break. I'm kinda amazed he chopped any wood at all, that is the kind of stuff that snaps blades and sends to top half flying out at Mach 2.

BrianS
05-24-11, 13:17
LOL. Some good stuff in that video.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Apparently God hates you!"

Honestly splitting wood with a sword is not supposed to be done, it doesn't reflect poorly on Cold Steel at all. They are said to be pretty good for the ~$300 sword market by backyard cutters.

I actually have the DVD showing all the crazy pig chopping. I had bought a Tomahawk from Cold Steel many years ago and in 2008 they sent me a Cold Steel Special Projects Catalog along with a DVD called "Sword Proof" and "Absolute Proof" that contains videos on every Cold Steel product from knives to axes to swords cutting pigs, side of beef ribs, chainmail, watermelons, 2 liter bottles, rope, tatami mat, all kinds of weird cutting tests.

Suwannee Tim
05-24-11, 17:09
Seriously, I have never wanted a sword but seeing the damage a Troop of Boy Scouts can do with a five gallon bucket of machetes made me want of those.

Spiffums
05-24-11, 18:30
I have always wanted a battle ready swept hilt rapier and dagger set. If anyone saw that epiosde of Highlander when they fought in that circle and it was all Spanish fencing, that's the set.

As for using them.......... have no use but I still want a set.

theblackknight
05-24-11, 20:24
So a sword fails when having a bunch of shit done it wasnt made for, and thats your proof test?

kartoffel
05-24-11, 20:37
C'mon guys! They are almost as good as the top tier swords and if the blade flies out of the handle, you just glue it back in and keep chopping!

Nothing a little blue loc-tite won't fix, right? :jester:

LHS
05-24-11, 23:10
I have a couple cold steel weapons, and most of them are pretty decent. The 1917 cutlass is pretty well bombproof, and the warhammer makes short work of loosening up nasty Arizona hardpack so I can pound in tent stakes. My biggest gripe tends to be that Kraton shit that they use for handles. On a hard working knife or machete, it will eat your hand alive in short order if you're not wearing gloves.

Armati
05-25-11, 12:46
Quite common. MANY companies skimp and cut corners on sheaths, hilts, and grip furniture. FEW companies make true 'battle ready' weapons.

Hitting the sword solid on the forte of the blade should not make it fly off the handle (ever wonder where that expression came from?).

Oh, and Tosh really should wear some eye pro. If he hit that coffee pot solid the flying glass would be no joke.

BrianS
05-25-11, 16:11
http://blog.coldsteel.com/2011/02/two-handed-greatsword-tosh0.html

I wasn't able to find out with a websearch how the tang is attached on a Cold Steel sword, like peened or threaded with a nut. If it was threaded and the nut worked loose this could easily happen. If peened I guess they did so many hard hits that the peening failed.