PDA

View Full Version : Any scuba divers....

Madsmiley
10-11-07, 19:40
Any divers on here??? I just got certified back in March and it has become as addicting as crack for me..:)

Boris
10-11-07, 19:52
Advanced Open Water (PADI) certified. Not only is it addictive, but I find it is a spiritual and self enlightening hobby.

Sidewinder6
10-11-07, 19:56
Im not addicted by a long shot, but you found at least one who will admit it. Open water and dive boat owner.

ess45
10-11-07, 20:17
Open water (NAUI)

Robb Jensen
10-11-07, 20:23
Open water (NAUI)

Me too. But I haven't been diving since I lived in Hawaii 1980-83.

GIFFMANN
10-11-07, 20:28
Open water PADI and SSI...but been way too busy to get any diving in these last few years. Hope to get out for a few polar bear dives this fall and do some more diving next spring.

Heavy Metal
10-11-07, 20:28
Any divers on here??? I just got certified back in March and it has become as addicting as crack for me..:)

Unless you live near the Ocean where there is real structure and multitudes of fish, seeing the same rocks and silt in the same quarry/lake will rapidly lose its luster once the thrill of pseudo-weightlessnes wears off.

Madsmiley
10-11-07, 20:38
Unless you live near the Ocean where there is real structure and multitudes of fish, seeing the same rocks and silt in the same quarry/lake will rapidly lose its luster once the thrill of pseudo-weightlessnes wears off.

The only time Ive done any of the quarry crap was to do a gear check just after I purchased all my gear...Didnt care for it,could barely see my compass at arms lenghts..

Went to Dominican Republic in March on vacation and did a discovery dive.Got home and was in Cozumel 3 weeks later getting my PADI open water cert..Just got back from my second Cozumel trip a couple of weeks ago and got my Nitrox cert while I was there..Headed to the Flower Gardens next weekend aboard the Spree..:cool:

Crack I tell you:D

Sidewinder,where are you located,Im already planning trips for next year,may come down and give you some business if youre located someplace warm and fuzzy

-Wes-
10-11-07, 21:11
Been certified since I was 11, perk of having a Navy diver for a Dad(and growing up in Hawaii). I mostly just dove for bugs, I miss it a lot. I haven't been on a dive since I left home for the Navy in '98.

Cold Zero
10-12-07, 07:23
Been certified Open Water since 1986 (Y.M.C.A.)
Master Diver (N.A.U.I.)
Handful of specialty cert's (P.A.D.I.)

Quaries are cold and time available never seems to be enough. Safe diving to all.

SOWT
10-12-07, 09:01
NAUI Open Water and OPen Water II, certified in 1987, but I haven't been in the water since 1995. Too long.

The Archangel
10-12-07, 14:41
On the to do list. Only been to the one-day scuba dive thing in Cancun.

Sidewinder6
10-12-07, 15:14
The only time Ive done any of the quarry crap was to do a gear check just after I purchased all my gear...Didnt care for it,could barely see my compass at arms lenghts..

Went to Dominican Republic in March on vacation and did a discovery dive.Got home and was in Cozumel 3 weeks later getting my PADI open water cert..Just got back from my second Cozumel trip a couple of weeks ago and got my Nitrox cert while I was there..Headed to the Flower Gardens next weekend aboard the Spree..:cool:

Crack I tell you:D

Sidewinder,where are you located,Im already planning trips for next year,may come down and give you some business if youre located someplace warm and fuzzy

Here is a link http://www.srtrl.com/marine/services/snafu.html

Fort Lauderdale. Plenty of warm and fuzzy but our boat is not commercial. Thanks for the thought.

graffex
10-12-07, 21:13
Never been before but it is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. My good friends dad goes all the time and wants me to go with him because my friend is afraid to go under the water. He has enough gear to outfit like 12 people and even has a few re-breathers. He is always telling me I need to get Cert. and he will take me on his trips. I'm definitely looking to see about getting certified after my knee surgery is over with and I'm able to go.

fast97rs
10-15-07, 04:06
AOW / Safety Diver - NAUI

Glad to hear... enjoy and be safe!

Jorgy

Rana
10-15-07, 05:09
Combat Diver here.

I also carry an advance NAUI card on the civilian side of the house.

I have dove in some of the nastiest places, but also some of the nicest places as well.

This year I dove the Lembeh Strait in North Sulawesi, Indonesia. Some of the life there exist only in that straight; it is world famous for "MUCK" diving.

If you ever get the chance I recommend the KBR dive resort in Bitung. You can dive 4 times a day and they cater to a dive schedule (w/ meals etc). The dives are chill, but you see some really interesting stuff.

www.divekbr.com

5POINT56
10-15-07, 08:41
PADI - Advanced Open Water

FlyAndFight
10-15-07, 15:06
PADI - Advanced Open Water

Same here, though I haven't done any diving for about 12 years... :(

Living in South Florida provides lots of good diving opportunities and locations, particularly in the keys. Did my first open water dive on the Benwood wreck, an old ship that was torpedoed by a german U-boat back in WWII. Dove in the Bahamas, Cozumel, etc., as well.

Cold Zero
10-15-07, 18:19
Living in South Florida provides lots of good diving opportunities and locations, particularly in the keys. Did my first open water dive on the Benwood wreck, an old ship that was torpedoed by a german U-boat back in WWII. Dove in the Bahamas, Cozumel, etc., as well.

There is a W.W. 2 U-boat sunk off Key West. It requires over night to get to the site as it is a long ride. It is only dove at certain times of the year when weather and water conditions permit. I have not been to it although I would like to. Have you been there?:confused:

I do not beleive that one is as deep as the one off of N.J. in 230 F.S.W..:eek:

Madsmiley
10-15-07, 19:22
Combat Diver here.

I also carry an advance NAUI card on the civilian side of the house.

I have dove in some of the nastiest places, but also some of the nicest places as well.

This year I dove the Lembeh Strait in North Sulawesi, Indonesia. Some of the life there exist only in that straight; it is world famous for "MUCK" diving.

If you ever get the chance I recommend the KBR dive resort in Bitung. You can dive 4 times a day and they cater to a dive schedule (w/ meals etc). The dives are chill, but you see some really interesting stuff.

www.divekbr.com

Ive got a hookup in Cozumel to do 4 tanks a day too:cool: Boat drops you off for lunch at a little resort on the south end of the island and comes back in the afternoon with a new crew and all your gear...

Waiting until I get tech certs before heading over on that side of the world..I think my ultimate dive will be Truk Lagoon someday..Lots of history there I want to see.

I hope to make it to the Keys sometime next year..Only thing that kept me from it so far is that I can do 5 days of diving in Cozumel for the same price it would cost me for 3 days in the Keys...

Cold Zero
10-15-07, 19:57
Waiting until I get tech certs before heading over on that side of the world..I think my ultimate dive will be Truk Lagoon someday..Lots of history there I want to see.

I did about 2 weeks in Truk Lagoon. I highly recomend it if you like warm, clear water with no current, military history and wrecks of all shapes, sizes, depths and difficulty levels. Be sure to get D.A.N. insurance or the like before going. It is a very good idea to bring your own dive buddy who you trust. Bringing a large pony bottle is a smart idea for that trip.:eek:

vcpk9
10-16-07, 07:40
My wife is getting me PADI diving lessons for my birthday next month. I am interested in wreck diving german uboats.

Has anybody ever dived any uboats? Post pictures.

5POINT56
10-16-07, 08:17
Same here, though I haven't done any diving for about 12 years... :(

Yeah, my feeling about South Florida is that if you live here, one of the few up sides recreationally are the fantastic water sports available. The people and the scenery suck...but where else can you, your buddy and your dad hook and land THREE sailfish, at the same time?

And the diving is obviously a huge plus as well. Been wreck diving, spear fishing and just recreational diving Florida waters for years. Even the ocean off of Palm Beach County where I live have some impressive sights under water....though I prefer the Keys. And you tell me a better time than collecting dozens of bugs and having fresh lobster dinner on the beach at the end of the day.

AR15barrels
10-16-07, 17:11
PADI open water here.

Madsmiley
10-16-07, 20:39
I did about 2 weeks in Truk Lagoon. I highly recomend it if you like warm, clear water with no current, military history and wrecks of all shapes, sizes, depths and difficulty levels. Be sure to get D.A.N. insurance or the like before going. It is a very good idea to bring your own dive buddy who you trust. Bringing a large pony bottle is a smart idea for that trip.:eek:

Ive had DAN Insurance from the word go:cool: ....My buddy that got me into this mess is a techie and wants to make the trip as well...Only thing Im really dreading(besides the cost) is the actual getting there and back...48hrs travel time doesnt sound like fun..

Cold Zero
10-16-07, 21:08
M.S.

I think the trip was around 26,000 miles round trip, enough for a free airline ticket when I got back. I flew Continental Micronesia. I did overnight in Guam, to break up the trip and did a bit of diving there as well. It sounds like you have the right buddy for the trip.

Guam reminded me of being inside an oven and as humid as could be. The guys in W.W. 2 who fought there, must have felt they were in hell.

Linea_de_Fuego
10-17-07, 00:25
PADI certification when I was in Okinawa. Great diving there and very different from San Diego waters.

DocGKR
10-17-07, 00:39
PADI Master Scuba Diver and a variety of specialty/technical certs, although I have not had the free time to do much diving since late 2001.