PDA

View Full Version : Starting a build

kaiheitai17
08-13-06, 12:55
I have two DPMS lowers that I want to build up.
One of them is going to be for my dear sweet wife.
Now she is rather petite. Only about 5'1". I am thinking a collapsible stock for her, most likely a 6 position. I also want to put in a good to excellent lower parts kit for her.

What stock/manufacturer and what lower parts kit do you guys suggest and why?

Long Rifle Tactical
08-13-06, 18:04
If it was to just start her out I would go with a basic 6 position stock like this one here.

http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AR15_M16_T6_6-Position_Collapsible_Stock.html

For the lower parts just about any vendor here could supply a good parts kit but I would install a basic Jard non adjustable trigger with a 5 pound spring or a 3 pound spring since she is not likely to enjoy a stock mil spec trigger.

JMHO

If you need any tools or help let me know and I can do all the work where ever you like.

kaiheitai17
08-14-06, 11:37
Yep, that looks like it will do the job for her.

I was kind of thinking maybe a two stage match type lpk for her.
Do you think that would be overkill for her?

C4IGrant
08-14-06, 13:31
Stag Arms makes about the best LPK on the market for $64. Very high quality. I would teach her to shoot with the factory trigger (then she will appreciate a 2 stage later). You also want to make the weapon as soft shooting as possible (IMHO) so she will enjoy it. I would use an H2 buffer and maybe a ISMI CS buffer spring. These two will greatly reduce felt recoil.

C4

kaiheitai17
08-14-06, 20:12
Grant, great advice on the buffer, I'll look into it. I guess I could swap out the "factory trigger" later on once her abilities progress to a point that she would appreciate it. Thank you.
Scott

C4IGrant
08-15-06, 07:19
Grant, great advice on the buffer, I'll look into it. I guess I could swap out the "factory trigger" later on once her abilities progress to a point that she would appreciate it. Thank you.
Scott

Glad I could help!

C4

Neeglik
08-15-06, 11:02
If she hasn't shot some already, borrow some different stocks and see how she likes them. I let my wife shoot a traditional collapsible, a Vltor collapsible, a Magpul M93 and an full size A2 stock. My wife has a preference for solid stocks, but the A2 is too long; so I'm trying out a Stubby Stock for her. So far she is happy...

Robb Jensen
08-15-06, 14:08
My wife loves here Sully stock. It's about the length of a 6pos M4 stock open 1 click.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/dadba12c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/f0eddba1.jpg

Todd.K
08-15-06, 20:03
If you do get a 6pos stock I'd make sure it's MIL SPEC. Then if you want to go with the Vltor or SOPMOD later you won't have to change out the tube.
Stag would be a good choice for that as well.

kaiheitai17
08-16-06, 14:33
Robb, that looks pretty nice. Kinda fixated on a collapsible stock for now but what you have there looks like it would fit her well.
Todd, roger the milspec, it will be!