PDA

View Full Version : CMT Bolt Carrier Groups

Scorpaznatica
05-24-11, 10:33
NOTE: The Search function does not seem to be working properly for me. It simply loads a blank white screen upon hitting "Search". With that said, I apologize if this topic has been covered already.

I am in the process of finishing up a new rifle build. The only piece I have yet to purchase is the bolt carrier group. I was previously holding out for the BCM bcg to come back in stock, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon.

I started looking into Daniel Defense and LMT bcg's, but they are both getting hard to find in stock as well. BCM currently has the CMT bcg in stock for $130. Is this a good idea, or should I wait for one of the others? I have always heard good things about BCM, DD and LMT bcg's, but I haven't heard much of anything regarding the CMT's.

The CMT is MPI just like the others, so I'd imagine that it should be fine.

For what it's worth, here is the rest of the rifle:

Palmetto State Armory lower
BCM 16" Carbine upper
Palmetto State Armory MOE lower build kit
Magpul MOE stock and handguard

So what is the general consensus? Is the CMT bcg a perfectly good setup? Should I just go ahead and pick one up and get this thing finished?

Thank you in advance for your insight!

EDIT: If it matters, this rifle will be used heavily for range use and possibly for some tactical courses down the road.

Dump1567
05-24-11, 12:01
If the CMT specs the same as the others, it should be GTG.

Personally, I would rather have one of the others you've mentioned.

Or Noveske shows BCG's in stock. And If I recall correctly, I think one of my BCG's that came with my Noveske upper has an MP tested CMT bolt in it.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=556bcg&cat=164&page=1&search=&since=&status=

sanman96825
05-24-11, 12:02
Rainier has LMT's in stock.

Scorpaznatica
05-24-11, 12:18
If the CMT specs the same as the others, it should be GTG.

Personally, I would rather have one of the others you've mentioned.

Or Noveske shows BCG's in stock. And If I recall correctly, I think one of my BCG's that came with my Noveske upper has an MP tested CMT bolt in it.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=556bcg&cat=164&page=1&search=&since=&status=
That might work. Are you saying though that Noveske bcg's are actually made my CMT? If so, the $130 at BCM would be a better deal...

Rainier has LMT's in stock.
It looks like they only have the semi-auto carrier. My understanding is that the full-auto carriers are a bit beefier and are engineered to last a bit longer. Is this the case or does it really not make any difference?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-24-11, 12:25
CMT makes alot more parts for MFG's than you'd think. AFAIK, the latest iterations of BCG's from CMT have been G2G.

120mm
05-24-11, 12:26
At the risk of getting flamed, I am throwing a Palmetto State Armory Deluxe BCG in my latest build:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/1746.php

It "appears" to spec out, but I'll shoot the crap out of it and see what happens.

Scorpaznatica
05-24-11, 13:10
At the risk of getting flamed, I am throwing a Palmetto State Armory Deluxe BCG in my latest build:

It "appears" to spec out, but I'll shoot the crap out of it and see what happens.
I didn't realize they even offered those. I just ordered one. We'll see how it works out.

Thanks for all the info guys!

hellbound
05-24-11, 13:58
of the various parts i've used over the years, only one manufacturer has consistently had issues - CMT/Stag.

Dump1567
05-24-11, 15:02
That might work. Are you saying though that Noveske bcg's are actually made my CMT? If so, the $130 at BCM would be a better deal...

It looks like they only have the semi-auto carrier. My understanding is that the full-auto carriers are a bit beefier and are engineered to last a bit longer. Is this the case or does it really not make any difference?

Looks like you already made your choice, but my complete Noveske upper I bought a year ago had the CMT MP bolt in it. The BCG I ordered from them 2 months ago just said MP on the bolt and looked very similar to BCM.

Luckily I'm in Hawaii right now on vacation and can't run to the safe to give you specifics.

MAP
05-25-11, 07:53
I have not had good experiences with the CMT BCG. The first one I had the carrier was not "in spec". When the BCG was released from being locked open it would not fully close.

On the second one, the carrier key became loose and both screws sheared when I attempted to re-torque them.

I went with the BCM and have no issues with it.

Just my personal experience.

Mike

johns961
05-25-11, 08:04
I have not had good experiences with the CMT BCG. The first one I had the carrier was not "in spec". When the BCG was released from being locked open it would not fully close.

On the second one, the carrier key became loose and both screws sheared when I attempted to re-torque them.

I went with the BCM and have no issues with it.

Just my personal experience.

Mike

That's almost funny. I bought a new BCM bcg in February that appeared to be out of spec. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. But, my CMT bcg I got with a new rifle in January has been great.

John!

og556
05-25-11, 09:29
I am not looking to spread misinformation here but at some point I remember reading that CMT makes bolts and BCG's for Bravo Company and is also used in Noveske rifles sometimes as well. Is this true ?

polymorpheous
05-25-11, 09:40
I am not looking to spread misinformation here but at some point I remember reading that CMT makes bolts and BCG's for Bravo Company and is also used in Noveske rifles sometimes as well. Is this true ?

I don't know about BCM's full BCGs.
But if you order just their bolt, it is stamped "CM" on one side, and etched "MP" on the other.

I can't comment on the Noveske BCG.
No experience with them.
Yet.:D

Cobra66
05-25-11, 09:50

That really does look like a great BCG at a great price! Unfortunately I'm in need of a semi-auto BCG (to go into my Colt's with the sear block).

Good to know the CMT MPIs are back in stock.

Also to the OP - I have the same issue with the search function. I use the search button at the very top of the webpage and then use the "Google" search. Works like a charm!

Dump1567
05-26-11, 20:24
Just verified.

My new Bolt form Noveske bought last month is marke MP in gold. My complete upper bought last year has CM on the bolt and MP in Gold.

Noveske has stated in the past that he gets parts from CMT.

Crane: Aw’right, now, in terms of receivers, upper and lower receivers, are you doin’ your own lowers, or are you usin’ other people’s lower and upper, or what?

Noveske: Most of the MILSPEC parts, I contract out. And, I use a lot of different shops based on who makes the best of that component. Like, one place makes my bolts and another place makes my carriers, and it’s because…it has nothing to do with money. It’s which ones I like better. And, right now, I feel that as far as the MILSPEC parts go, I couldn’t do better. They’re just excellent. I get ‘em in volume. I’ve got my purchase orders in to January ‘09. Everything is just hunky-dory.

Crane: Who’s doin’ your lowers?

Noveske: The lowers on our rifles are made by CMT [Continental Machine and Tool]. We had some made by LAR [LAR Manufacturing, Inc.] with a B prefix on the serial number, but that was a limited production run. We have a PO into another company, but it will depend on approval of the samples.

Crane: What about your upper receiver?

Noveske: I have uppers made for me by CMT for MILSPEC and then, of course, the VIS and MUR are made by Vltor.

Original Interview:

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske-rifleworks-n4-light-recce-carbine-john-noveske-interview-part-one/

johns961
05-27-11, 04:36
That's interesting. I thought CMT stood for Carolina Mountain Tactical.
That's what it means on my rifle anyway.

John!

Heartland Hawk
05-27-11, 09:37
Good to know. I have a couple of CMT Bolts (I know - sample size of two) and they have performed ok (Approx 4000 rds on one, and 2000 on the other) but I will be inspecting them closely.