PDA

View Full Version : Need some help in convincing a friend...

Nephrology
05-24-11, 21:59
I have posted about this buddy of mine before. He is a generally very good shooter and knows his way around a pistol, but lately he has developed...something of a problem.

I traded a G21 with him for a G17 + cash and ammo, which was fine by me - couldn't afford regular practice with .45 anyway. next, he picked up a Glock 32 to replace the G30 that he regularly carried. All this is, by itself, not really a big deal.

Now, however, he has a new "plan" to make himself... well, something.

He is going to buy a Lone Wolf long slide + barrel assembly for the Glock 21 in .40 Super, which he plans on using for home defense. His plan is to buy 100 rds of .40 Super, shoot 50, keep the rest and call it a day.

He is also planning on buying a long slide assembly + a .357SIG and 9mm barrel for his Glock 32. His goal is to *carry* this pistol, with the long slide and all, and he expects to shoot mostly 9mm through the long-slide compact frankengun. I doubt he will put more than 250 rds tops through the .357SIG + slide. He even told me rather bluntly that he does not plan to carry or do much of anything at all with the stock Glock 32 slide+bbl assembly. His entire premise is to as much as possible approximate rifle ballistics out of a handgun (paraphrased). I have tried to explain to him this thing called "bullet design" but I do not get far.

So.... this is a bad idea. Obviously. He is completely taking the reliability of his defensive pistols for granted in exchange for some sort of imagined increase in lethality that I suppose he thinks comes with .357SIG and .40 Super. I do not know how to talk to him. Every time I bring up something even as innocuous as "...better run a lot of ammo through that long slide .357 SIG!" (Which is about as much enthusiasm as I can muster) he just kind of shuts down and pretends I didn't say anything.

I know there can be a lot of ego involved in firearms taste and selection, especially when self defense comes into play, but this is ridiculous. I think he is being genuinely unsafe and is putting his life in jeopardy. How can I approach him, in a constructive way, to convince him to stay away from this? I have tried to show him some of Doctor Roberts' gel tests and, as before, he selectively interprets evidence to support his predetermined conclusions. It is frustrating. I am kind of tempted to just wait for him to blow up one of his guns before I broach the subject again, but I would like to be a better friend than that...

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-24-11, 22:03
His money his choice it will work out in the end and you can say I told you so. I see people do this all the time its good for the economy. Im sure Im guilty of it to

Nephrology
05-24-11, 22:13
His money his choice it will work out in the end and you can say I told you so. I see people do this all the time its good for the economy. Im sure Im guilty of it to

Maybe. I should note he traded the 17 because his first attempt at a longslide Glock project was a 9mm IPSC Limited gun that he got the longest possible slide on and, as a result, didn't cycle anything but 124gr FMJ. 115s (and even 124s with some frequency) caused it to stovepipe.

So, the idea of learning from experience doesn't seem to have worked out just yet...

JHC
05-25-11, 06:19
Good luck. I've run into a couple friend acquaintances that sought my input but were still convinced they wanted a .50 or .44 Desert Eagle or some such.

I've had modest success by gentling explaining that such equipment is sort of gun geekish and directed them to M4C primarily to study up on what the guys who "shoot for blood" use. Turned one at least to a Glock 9mm vs some exotic blaster.

longball
05-25-11, 09:02
It sounds like you have done about all you can do. I think at times we all get some kind of crazy idea in our head and it takes time and consideration, or a monumental failure, to bring us back into reality. I had a friend that was dead set on buying a PX4 that was for sale for $500. I tried to talk him into a Glock or M&P instead, for less money, but he just wouldn't hear of it. He bought the PX4, put about 100 rounds through it, then bought a G17 RFT and hasn't shot the Beretta since. Now he admits he should have taken my advice. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

DocGKR
05-25-11, 09:38
Nephrology--Ask you friend how many LE agencies, military organizations, and other professional firearms users shoot such a set-up--perhaps those folks know something he does not...

okie john
05-25-11, 13:55
Nephrology--Ask you friend how many LE agencies, military organizations, and other professional firearms users shoot such a set-up--perhaps those folks know something he does not...

Send him here. Posts on M4C really helped me understand things a LOT better than I did before, especially DocGKR's posts on lethality.

Okie John

Nephrology
05-25-11, 15:31
Send him here. Posts on M4C really helped me understand things a LOT better than I did before, especially DocGKR's posts on lethality.

Okie John

Thanks guys. I will do my best to send him good info.

A big part of it, however, is ego. I have sent him perfectly legitimate information that he simply rejects in favor of his pre-existing conclusions. I think a combination of his own trial and error (and lots of $$ down the tube....) and some, um, friendly persuasion... might be the ticket.

okie john
05-25-11, 16:04
I think a combination of his own trial and error (and lots of $$ down the tube....) and some, um, friendly persuasion... might be the ticket.

Never forget the power of public humiliation.

Okie John

Nephrology
05-25-11, 16:59

Okie John

Haha. He is stubborn and brash, typical of younger men, so I think that you mgiht be on to something. I will have to be at the range when he first unveils his long slide monstrosity.

TOrrock
05-25-11, 17:19

Okie John

Yup. I rarely even try anymore.

Nephrology
05-25-11, 18:38
Yup. I rarely even try anymore.

It is frankly pretty exhausting. I wouldn't have even brought it up if it wasn't a pistol he was planning to carry. I just think it is unsafe for him to do what he is planning to do.