PDA

View Full Version : Tips for shooting the IDPA classifer

Robb Jensen
10-12-07, 06:13
These tips were written by Tim Bacus, Tim is the guy who built the gun I shoot in USPSA Limited (my STI). If you want to see what the classifier looks like it's on page 67 of the IDPA rule book here: http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

Here's a few things that should help you shoot your best score.

Stage One

Strings 1, 2 & 3
Make sure you stop the gun for the head shots. Stopping the gun when you raise it to fire the head shot will take maybe .25 extra seconds, one head miss will add 2.5 seconds, don't miss.

String 4
Don't rush this string. Sight alignment is marginally important but trigger control is a must. Really concentrate on the trigger control.

String 5
Again, concentrate on trigger control and be sure to stop the gun on the center target. I see a lot of shooters get good hits on the first and last target but hit the -3 on the center target, not good.

String 6
The shooting is pretty basic, just see the front sight on the center of the target for each shot. Drop your slide with the slide release after the reload, do not slingshot it! Depending on skill level slingshoting takes anywere from 1 - 3 seconds longer to do.

String 7
Same as string 5, stop the gun on the midle target. Also since you are firing 2 shots per target don't double tap. Get a sight picture for each shot. Trying to save .1 on a split makes no sense if you drop a shot into the -1 zone doing it.

Stage One Notes

The goal for stage one should be to drop no more than 2 - 4 points. The shooting is easy, just avoid the desire to go faster than you can.

Stage Two

String 1

Take slow baby steps. There is no requirement to take large steps or to move quickly. Some shooters will take several large steps before shooting to try and get closer to the target, don't, it's slower.

String 2

Same as string one, slow baby steps wile retreating.String two should be faster than string one. For both strings, sight alignment and trigger control!

String 3

The first big string, 12 shots total. Don't be in a rush to be done. Shoot for the -0 zone, not the whole target. Same comments about the slide lock reload from Stage One, String 6. And remember, your not trying to hit the target, your trying to hit the -0 zone.

String 4

Six shots strong hand at 10 yards, have I mentioned trigger control? The sight alignment needed to hit an 8" circle at 10 yards is not that precise, the trigger control is. Concentrate on a smooth press to the rear, don't slap the trigger.Again, a quarter second taken to insure a good shot can save you 1.5 seconds by avaioding the -3 zone on the target.

Stage Two Notes

Stage two is 30 shots, shoot to fast and you'll drop a lot of points. Concentrate on trigger control and you'll do fine.Try not to drop more than 6 - 8 points.

Stage Three

Stage Notes First this Time

Stage Three is the classifier. Many shooters will end up with a longer time for stage three than for stages one and two combined. Stage Three is a test of pure shooting ability, sight alignment and trigger control. It's hard to give advice to new shooters for stage three because many simply don't have the skills yet to do well on it. Hell, I see it kick ass on experienced A and B Class IPSC shooters.
Accuracy is paramount on stage three. Shots that would be a -1 on Stages One and Two will miss the target on stage three. Shooting wise, really focus on the front sight and do perfect trigger pulls, straight to the rear and don't slap it. You must shoot to hit the -0 zone, simply aiming at the 'target' will not cut it. Do not look at the targets wile shooting, this causes your shots to go low, concentrate on the front sight!

String 1

Do a retention reload, it's faster on this string, don't go for speed, try to be smooth and in control.

String 2

A tac load will be slightly faster if you move as soon as you insert the new mag and stow the used mag wile moving forward. If you are more likely to do the complete reload behind cover then it will be faster to do a retention reload. Run to the barrel, you get no style points for crouching or moving 'tactically'. Don't rush the barrel shots, your still 15 yards back, front sight, press.

String 3

Almost done! Don't rush the last six shots because your in a hurry to be done. Draw and go kneeling, get that good first sight picture and fire accurate shots.

Well, I hope this is helpful. Let us now how you do!

------------------
Tim Bacus
Bacus Custom

Sam
10-12-07, 07:19
Deleted copyrighted (?) materials.

rhino
10-12-07, 17:24
Not missing the head shots is something that needs to be repeated, because it's not hard to hit them, but really easy to miss them!

A couple of missed head shots can be the difference between sharpshooter and expert ... or so I've heard. :D

Robb Jensen
10-12-07, 18:15
Not missing the head shots is something that needs to be repeated, because it's not hard to hit them, but really easy to miss them!

A couple of missed head shots can be the difference between sharpshooter and expert ... or so I've heard. :D

Or as in my last IDPA classifier 1 missed headshot was the difference between Expert and Master. ;)

rhino
10-13-07, 16:42
Or as in my last IDPA classifier 1 missed headshot was the difference between Expert and Master. ;)

And of course it works the other way too ...

If you don't want your classification to go up (for whatever reason) and you don't want your sandbagging to be as obvious as it might otherwise be, missing one or all three of those headshots can do the trick! Haha! :D

Bryan W
12-29-07, 20:35
I shot my first IDPA match today, which was a classifier match - made master in SSP with about 4 seconds to spare. Almost everyone on my squad had misses on those head shot targets......

rhino
12-30-07, 15:49
Good job. What is your USPSA classification (if you have one)?

Bryan W
12-30-07, 18:44
GM -Limited

Robb Jensen
12-30-07, 19:32
GM -Limited

Awesome!

I find that most B class shooters in USPSA can make Master in IDPA. Maybe Rhino is right, maybe I am sandbaggin' ;) I'm less than 1.5% from A class in Production. :D

Bryan W
12-30-07, 19:39
I don't know a whole lot about IDPA other than I want to try it - I'd like to shoot a few regional matches then maybe the Nationals if I can. I mostly just shoot production in USPSA right now because I like shooting stock guns. We have a few IDPA master class shooters that shoot some of our local matches and they are B class shooters.

Robb Jensen
12-30-07, 20:09
I don't know a whole lot about IDPA other than I want to try it - I'd like to shoot a few regional matches then maybe the Nationals if I can. I mostly just shoot production in USPSA right now because I like shooting stock guns. We have a few IDPA master class shooters that shoot some of our local matches and they are B class shooters.

So you're find the theory of B class (USPSA) / Master (IDPA) holds pretty true too.

Welcome to www.M4carbine.net Bryan! :D

If you have any shooting tips please share !

Bryan W
12-30-07, 20:15
I think the IDPA classifier is a pretty decent standards test - There are some great USPSA shooters that got their start in IDPA too - Bob Vogel, Ben Stoeger, and Sevigny. Those guys are all upper end GM's in USPSA now so I think the accuracy foundation that IDPA teaches is great. Those guys learned how to be accurate first then fast second and so they have the correct foundation to be upper end shooters in both sports.

I've been lurking here for a while - just got around to posting. It's a great forum, btw.

rhino
12-31-07, 11:02
GM -Limited

Heh! I knew you were either B-class or better to do it on the first try. Welcome to this little corner!

I am "C-class forever!" in USPSA and a pretty lazy "sharpshooter" in IDPA. I know I could shoot Expert if I practiced the classifier a couple of times, but I don't see any point in it as it doesn't predict match performance very well. Shooting a Master score would be a challenge for me since I lose so much time on the movement to the barrel and going down on a knee on stage 3.

And gotM4 ... yeah, you're totally sandbaggin'! I'd have to bust my butt practicing for a few months to get to B-class, but getting an IDPA Expert classification would be . . . less labor intensive.

Harv
12-31-07, 17:17
Reading this thread reinforces my reasons why I don't get "Classified" in any shooting sport. Cause it's mostly about titles and not performance at the drop of a Hat.

If I need my skill set (Which is why I train the way I do) to defend myself or the family.. the bad guy will care little what class I'm at.. and If I'm too slow.. I doubt he will allow me to "reshoot" until I get a better score...

Which is what I thought "Defensive" pistol shooting was always about....:p

And I know what Sandbagging is. and it amazes me that I know of shooters who do it just so they can be at the top of a certain class which looks good for the ego vs. being in the middle to the bottom of the class they really should be in...:rolleyes:

Robb Jensen
12-31-07, 18:04
Some of us view training as training and competition as competition. ;)

Bryan W
12-31-07, 19:47
Reading this thread reinforces my reasons why I don't get "Classified" in any shooting sport. Cause it's mostly about titles and not performance at the drop of a Hat.

If I need my skill set (Which is why I train the way I do) to defend myself or the family.. the bad guy will care little what class I'm at.. and If I'm too slow.. I doubt he will allow me to "reshoot" until I get a better score...

And I know what Sandbagging is. and it amazes me that I know of shooters who do it just so they can be at the top of a certain class which looks good for the ego vs. being in the middle to the bottom of the class they really should be in...:rolleyes:

Harv,

You seem pretty passionate about your position here and I totally respect that - Doing your own thing in terms of training is cool - only you can determine what's best for you regarding this issue. Let me say though that if you think you can reach the upper levels of competition without being able to perform on demand, you really don't understand what it takes to be an upper end shooter. Maybe I totally misunderstood what you were saying and you're just showing frustration with the sandbagger issue - not sure.

Competition is a game, but these games do teach a person a whole lot about how the shooting process works. It's a whole lot more effective in the long run, for many reasons, than just shooting drills to keep the skill level at PAR.

I've never really understood the anti-competition mindset and I don't drink the Kool-Aid when it comes to the thinking that it breeds a mindset that will get you hurt in a real defensive situation. I've been a LEO for 23 years and shooting competitively has enhanced my shooting skills substantially.

Other than those few comments you have my total respect for doing your own thing brother...at least you're training and that's a lot more than most people do.

Cheers,
Bryan

rhino
12-31-07, 23:02
Maybe we need another round of "IPSC will get you KILLED!" articles in the gun magazines to bolster the anti-competition sentiment. It seems to be waning recently. :D

Robb Jensen
01-01-08, 00:06
To know yet to think that one does not know is best;
Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.

-Lao Tzu

9x19
01-01-08, 10:48

This particular forum is for and about competition. If you don't compete and you don't plan to compete, and only want to criticize people who do, then you have nothing of value to add to it. Perhaps you should utilize the other forums to discuss how you "train the way you do."

As far as sandbagging, I am fairly certain that there are no true sandbaggers participating in this thread. Move along with your :rolleyes: .

M4Super90
01-29-08, 10:16
Here's a link to some tips that are very similar to the above post our local club's webmaster put together on the classifier for those that are interested:
http://www.ccidpa.org/clastips.html

Czar
02-05-08, 21:29
Thanks for the tips. I need to practice more to make better than Sharpshooter in SSP and CDP in IDPA. You just can not use the matches as your practice.

Czar

HeadHunter
07-03-08, 23:06
Dry fire should be part of any practice regimen. It was an important part of my training to make IDPA Master. I made a commitment to do dry fire daily for 1000 consecutive days, finished it, and have always been glad I did it.

Here is a basic practice session and some considerations for safe dry fire training.
This session will take 10-15 minutes. Avoid becoming fatigued and ingraining bad habits.

Basic Dry Fire Practice Drills

Basic Dry Fire Practice Session
Trigger Press Practice - Freestyle 5 reps
Presentation from Low Ready - Freestyle 5 reps
Draw from Open Holster - Freestyle 5 reps
Draw from Concealed Holster - Freestyle 5 reps
Trigger Press Practice - Strong Hand Only 5 reps
Draw from Open Holster - Strong Hand Only 5 reps
Trigger Press Practice - Weak Hand Only 5 reps
Presentation from Low Ready - Weak Hand Only 5 reps
Draw from Concealed Holster - Strong Hand Only 5 reps
Slide-lock Reload 5 reps
Trigger Press Practice - Freestyle 5 reps

Dry fire practice can be extremely dangerous if proper safety procedures are not followed.
Always observe the Four Rules of Safe Gunhandling

Four Rules of Safe Gunhandling
All guns are always loaded
Never point a gun at anything you are not prepared to destroy
Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until your sights are on the target
Know your target and what is beyond it

Dry Fire Safety Procedures
Dry fire ONLY when you are alert and focused
Unload your pistol in an area other than the practice area - do not take any ammunition with you to the practice area
Go to your practice area where there is NO LIVE AMMUNITION
Check your pistol again to ensure that there is no ammunition in the pistol or any magazines you will use for practice
Dry fire practice only on a specific dry fire target which is used only for dry fire practice
Place your dry fire target against a bullet resistant wall, e.g., brick or concrete block
If a bullet resistant wall is not available the target should be backed by a body armor panel capable of containing a bullet from your pistol
Do not allow yourself to be disturbed during dry fire practice
Wear eye protection when dry firing in case of a Negligent Discharge
If you use dummy ammunition during dry fire, use ONLY commercially manufactured, easily identifiable dummies. Homemade dummies are unsafe and can result in death or serious injury.
When you are finished practicing, put your target and pistol away immediately and do some other action that will remove dry fire from your thoughts. Do NOT immediately reload your pistol.
Failure to follow these procedures EXACTLY can result in legal liability, property damage, serious injury, or DEATH.

Battl3fr0nt
07-03-08, 23:45
If they had this kind of stuff here in hawaii my dream would come true.. I have been really working on my match shooting but there is no matches here to shoot.. I have a pretty good rifle set up and I would like to put it to good use.. only thing I really need is a Single stage match triger.. The one that came on my Armalite is 90% better then other stock triggers but still I would like a single stage with less weight..

ToddG
07-03-08, 23:58
I just shot the Classifier a couple weeks ago for the first time in about five years. Scored an 80.85, total of ten points down. I also got to watch a dozen other shooters ranging from Novice to Expert run the stages. Some random thoughts:

Strategies that work for a Master-class shooter are different than those that work for a MM-class shooter. Failing to realize, understand, and accept this truism is what keeps many people stuck at the MM/SS level.
Never miss a head shot. You shoot a total of nine head shots from a range of just 7 yd. The head on an IPDA target is huge-mongous(TM). If you can't hit the head in 1-2 seconds per shot at that range, then you are not ready to be shooting IDPA.
Be accurate but don't go so slowly that you shoot zero down on every target every string. Especially at the longer distances, dropping a point or two here and there can be worth what you gain in speed.
Know how to perform a proper reload. The number of people who consider themselves "serious" shooters who are absolutely in left field when it comes to reload technique is unbelievable. Reloads should be smooth and efficient. When they're on the clock, you should try to do them quickly. Shooting fast and then performing your reloads at a casual pace is just dumb.
Speaking of casual pace, there is exactly one string in the Classifier where you need to move quickly: Stage 3, String 2. When you move from the barricade to the barrel, RUN. Why in hell do some people just walk? The extra two or three seconds it takes you to move from Point A to Point B is reflected in your score.
There are two strings in the Classifier where you do not need to move quickly: Stage 2, Strings 1 & 2 (shooting while advancing, shooting while retreating). This is a game, not a gunfight. Focus 100% on your shooting and let your feet move as slowly as necessary to maximize your ability to deliver fast, accurate hits. I probably don't take three whole steps for either string, yet I'm still moving for every shot fired. Those are the rules, follow them.
Always start a string with your eyes on the target you are going to shoot first; whenever possible, have your torso turned toward that target. But keep your feet pointed toward the center of the target array (except for the first three strings in which you only engage one target; then have your whole body pointed at that one target before the buzzer goes off).
Don't hammer at the targets. Firing two lightning-fast shots makes it much harder/slower for most people to perform a smooth & fast transition to the next target. Giving up a few hundredths on your splits will gain you a couple tenths on your transitions. It's a good trade.
Perform a Tactical Reload (not Reload with Retention) on Stage 3 String 2, and the moment your fresh magazine is seated start sprinting towards the barrel. Get the spare mag stowed as you run.
Don't wear concealment. The idea of the Classifier is to compare apples to apples. The standards are based on shooting without concealment. If you wear a vest or shirt over your gun, you're really just sandbagging.
A lot of people like to follow a well thought out plan regarding how many rounds are in each magazine so that each stage works out just right. My advice: don't. Unless a string specifically requires you to start with a certain number of rounds in the gun, always start with the maximum allowed. Always have the maximum allowed in your spares. (a) This gives a little extra weight to the gun, reducing muzzle flip. (b) This will make your mags drop free faster and more reliably. (c) You will drastically reduce the odds of frakking up and having the wrong number of rounds in the gun. (d) You will have extra rounds in case you need to clear a stoppage.
Remember that it is just a game. The Classifier is actually a very good test of lots of shooting fundamentals, but it's controlled by a set of rules that reward and penalize certain things that have no relevancy to real life.

Sidewinder6
07-04-08, 10:12
I just shot the Classifier a couple weeks ago for the first time in about five years. Scored an 80.85, total of ten points down. I also got to watch a dozen other shooters ranging from Novice to Expert run the stages. Some random thoughts:

Strategies that work for a Master-class shooter are different than those that work for a MM-class shooter. Failing to realize, understand, and accept this truism is what keeps many people stuck at the MM/SS level.
Never miss a head shot. You shoot a total of nine head shots from a range of just 7 yd. The head on an IPDA target is huge-mongous(TM). If you can't hit the head in 1-2 seconds per shot at that range, then you are not ready to be shooting IDPA.
Be accurate but don't go so slowly that you shoot zero down on every target every string. Especially at the longer distances, dropping a point or two here and there can be worth what you gain in speed.
Know how to perform a proper reload. The number of people who consider themselves "serious" shooters who are absolutely in left field when it comes to reload technique is unbelievable. Reloads should be smooth and efficient. When they're on the clock, you should try to do them quickly. Shooting fast and then performing your reloads at a casual pace is just dumb.
Speaking of casual pace, there is exactly one string in the Classifier where you need to move quickly: Stage 3, String 2. When you move from the barricade to the barrel, RUN. Why in hell do some people just walk? The extra two or three seconds it takes you to move from Point A to Point B is reflected in your score.
There are two strings in the Classifier where you do not need to move quickly: Stage 2, Strings 1 & 2 (shooting while advancing, shooting while retreating). This is a game, not a gunfight. Focus 100% on your shooting and let your feet move as slowly as necessary to maximize your ability to deliver fast, accurate hits. I probably don't take three whole steps for either string, yet I'm still moving for every shot fired. Those are the rules, follow them.
Always start a string with your eyes on the target you are going to shoot first; whenever possible, have your torso turned toward that target. But keep your feet pointed toward the center of the target array (except for the first three strings in which you only engage one target; then have your whole body pointed at that one target before the buzzer goes off).
Don't hammer at the targets. Firing two lightning-fast shots makes it much harder/slower for most people to perform a smooth & fast transition to the next target. Giving up a few hundredths on your splits will gain you a couple tenths on your transitions. It's a good trade.
Perform a Tactical Reload (not Reload with Retention) on Stage 3 String 2, and the moment your fresh magazine is seated start sprinting towards the barrel. Get the spare mag stowed as you run.
Don't wear concealment. The idea of the Classifier is to compare apples to apples. The standards are based on shooting without concealment. If you wear a vest or shirt over your gun, you're really just sandbagging.
A lot of people like to follow a well thought out plan regarding how many rounds are in each magazine so that each stage works out just right. My advice: don't. Unless a string specifically requires you to start with a certain number of rounds in the gun, always start with the maximum allowed. Always have the maximum allowed in your spares. (a) This gives a little extra weight to the gun, reducing muzzle flip. (b) This will make your mags drop free faster and more reliably. (c) You will drastically reduce the odds of frakking up and having the wrong number of rounds in the gun. (d) You will have extra rounds in case you need to clear a stoppage.
Remember that it is just a game. The Classifier is actually a very good test of lots of shooting fundamentals, but it's controlled by a set of rules that reward and penalize certain things that have no relevancy to real life.

I really compliment you on your observations. Good advice and something worth saving for reference. (insert applause here)

ToddG
07-04-08, 10:33
Sidewinder -- Thanks. I'm usually very shy with my thoughts and opinions. :cool:

gotM4 -- There's no way you'd fail to make Master now, dude. All the little gamey things you already know. Beyond that, it's just a matter of finding the right balance between speed & accuracy.

sharps_74
07-04-08, 22:35
Thanks for posting this. It'll be a big help to those that are just starting out.

DANGER CLOSE
08-16-08, 00:52
that is a lot of good advice guys. last week i went to my gun club to watch the idpa in person and was highly impressed. i already did the research in the rules and watching matches on youtube and stuff like that. i am going to sign up for membership after i go to a clinic that they are holding at my local range. while it looks fun and it is competition, i saw it more as another avenue to apply my skills learned and would consider it training to some extent. another thing i liked was that you can use your duty rig (mil/ le). once again, lots of good info. thanks.:cool:

Alpha Sierra
08-20-08, 22:12
Homemade dummies are unsafe
I think not.

But I am interested in understanding why you do.

Good thread. Learning a lot as an IDPA newbie.

Sidewinder6
08-21-08, 11:40
that is a lot of good advice guys. last week i went to my gun club to watch the idpa in person and was highly impressed. i already did the research in the rules and watching matches on youtube and stuff like that. i am going to sign up for membership after i go to a clinic that they are holding at my local range. while it looks fun and it is competition, i saw it more as another avenue to apply my skills learned and would consider it training to some extent. another thing i liked was that you can use your duty rig (mil/ le). once again, lots of good info. thanks.:cool:

You will have a blast ( OK OK bad joke). Kidding aside, your worse possible moment at an IDPA match beats pushing a keyboard in a windowless room any day. The advice in this thread is really good. You can download the book off the IDPA site and it only takes one trip to the john to get through it end to end. Our club has the full range of members and it is a nice way to spend a day at the range.

Good luck.

ROCKET20_GINSU
10-13-09, 16:23
I just shot the IDPA classifier for the first time this past weekend. Good fun :D I really appreciate all the feedback and advice on this thread, it really came in handy. Unfortunately, because I have been really busy for several weeks prior to the classifier I didn't get to practice or dry fire as much as I would have liked but still managed to pull out a "ok" performance. I had my GF out there as well and she was kicking butt! I don't know where she ended up falling in the classification scheme but she did look terrific shooting it lol :D

I shot my Glock 34 in SSP and ESP
I made expert in both shooting a final score of 105 (way too many points down) in both divisions, atleast I'm consistent. I just "missed" (pun intended) my goal of making master in SSP but I'm sure I'll be able to improve on my score. On a good day I'm sure I could squirt under the bar but I'm happy that on a bad day I didn't shoot "too" shabby.

6 months till the next local classifier :D

GU

Doggiecop
10-14-09, 10:34
Good stuff !

Tagging on for more.

I like IDPA, is it end all be all? No but it is where you can shoot under pressure, work the basics and more.

motoduck
02-01-10, 08:21
Thanks for the tips, they were a big help.

donnyglock
04-25-10, 19:47
Here is my take on the deal.
First if you shoot only as fast as your sights will let you ,you will be fine. The key to these games is to be able to shoot quickly from any position. You need to cut down on wasted movement and be ready to shoot entering and leaving positions. As far as the classifier I was able to shoot a total time of 83.56 down 13 points. I did not feel overly fast and shot withen my ability. I do not rec practicing the classifier because you may get real good at it and get your ass handed to you at a major match.
As far as these combat class comandos(which I have taken more than a few) that think competition will get you killed is obsured. They must think because we like the competitive nature of the game we have no common sense. Most combat type classes and range drills do not put any pressure or stress on the shooter. Thats why I preffer a competition setting to get my juices going.
I have never bragged about being a master level shooter. I don't think I am better or cooler than anyone else , we all have our reasons for choosing the shooting sports. I for one love competition and I'm not going to lie I love to win as well.
One more thing before I end this semi rant. No other sport have I ever done has the type of great people we do. Always willing to help and share advise. If some people refuse to be classified or share in our sport OH WELL.

blackscot
08-18-10, 06:15
A lotta good stuff here -- thanks everybody.:thank_you2:

I don't agree though with the blanket NO on practicing the classifier. Although I do think that you should not practice only the classifier, doing so on some basis can provide a benefit.

(a) It is probably good to see where you stand with the classifier every now and then, especially if you haven't shot it in awhile. You can easily do so at your own convenience rather than waiting for the next match to come around, which can take up to several months.

(b) Practice shooting through the entire course-of-fire with for-real scoring also better helps to identify weak points for follow-up practice on string-specific drills. I recently did this and found I needed a lot more help on some strings than others. I've spent most of the past month focusing on improving those, while also maintaining (hopefully) the strings I've had less trouble with.

I've got a time slot at a local classifier match this Saturday, so will see then whether my strategy pays off.

ETA - It appears to have worked: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60924

BillOH
12-21-10, 20:40
When I practice the IDPA classifier, I score and paste after each string, not stage. That way I can see what my weaknesses are and improve on them. I've kept records on my runs through the classifier for the last 10 years or so.

I also use the classifier to test gun, holster and ammo combinations to see what works best for me.

Bill

mike benedict
01-25-11, 19:23
I think the IDPA classifier is one of the best sets of standards ever. For me it is all about the first two strings of stage 1 (the heads) and the first two strings of stage 3 (the barricade) I have kept spread sheets of my classifier times since the early days of IDPA it is always interesting to compare times from years ago

Mike

thopkins22
08-24-11, 22:28
Why didn't I read this earlier this afternoon!?!?!?

I was shooting unclassified in SSP because this was my third match...ever.

115.something was my time after adding in points down. I was six points down after stages one and two...things were going well. After stage three you might ask? Suddenly I found myself thirty four points down for the classifier. Should have remembered perfect sight picture/perfect trigger control come that stage.

Those sixteen seconds wouldn't have gotten me to master...but they would have gotten me so damn close.

So instead of concentrating on things like target to target transitions, reloads, split times, and hauling ass, I get to spend my practice time shooting at bullseye targets from distance.

An hour or so before the classifier I had put ten or fifteen rounds on a six inch steel plate at thirty-some yards without a miss...but add in the clock and a sense of urgency that wasn't really there and my bullets found the -3 and -1 more often than is acceptable.

ETA:I shot it truly virgin, but I wish I'd have at least run it once on my own time!

Dachs
10-12-11, 19:54
To know yet to think that one does not know is best;
Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.

-Lao Tzu

This quote reminded me of the Dunning-Kruger effect I learned about in college psychology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Basically: Unskilled/Dumb people over estimate themselves. Skilled/Smart people underestimate themselves.

Here is a quote from the wiki thats pretty funny (because I know people like this)

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.

theblackknight
10-29-11, 14:50
[/list]

Please heed these words. It is much faster

Also, shoot in this positionhttp://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/54410/54410,1241507297,1/stock-photo-high-school-student-sitting-on-bare-feet-29684077.jpg
around the barrel, it keeps your body upright and in its same firing position. Doing a high kneeling and craning your back will throw your game off.