PDA

View Full Version : Tent size

HeliPilot
05-25-11, 13:37
I am looking to purchase a tent and was looking for a few opinions. first of all I want something more or less low-profile and easy to pack and carry, preferably OD green in color. Second I was wondering, if I plan on using this for myself only, would yall recommend a one man or two man tent? I like that a one man tent is obviously smaller but with a two man I would be able to keep my pack and other gear in the tent with me. I've been on multiple backpacking treks and have experience with both types of tent so I am leaning towards a two man. What do yall think?

mkmckinley
05-25-11, 14:11
I like the Big Agnes Seedhouse tents. Get one rated for how many people you plan to sleep +1. In other words get a two man if you're the only one that will sleep in it. As a plus their green color is sort of a sage that can blend reasonably well.

Watrdawg
05-25-11, 14:42
I would definitely get a 2 man. It's nice being able to keep you gear inside and dry. Are you looking for a 4 Season or a 3 Season tent. 4Season is heavier but more durable.

RWBlue
05-25-11, 17:38
I had a 1 man tent for 10 years. It served me well, but...there is no room for gear or.....the boots sit outside, if you are wet there is no place to take things off and keep the rest of the gear dry. In general, it really sucked when the weather got bad.

I like the Big Agnes Seedhouse tents. Get one rated for how many people you plan to sleep +1. In other words get a two man if you're the only one that will sleep in it. As a plus their green color is sort of a sage that can blend reasonably well.

More recently I bought a BA Seedhouse 2. I bought the light weight version. I like it. Get the foot print also. The only thing they screwed up on is the gear hammock. It is in the wrong location. You can not stuff a coat in there. You can not access a flashlight in them middle of the night in there. In general, they screwed up the hanging points.

Conclusion, I would buy the seedhouse again, but not the gear hammock.

Heavy Metal
05-25-11, 18:12
I run a Eureka Backcountry 2 and am very happy with it.

91Bravo
05-25-11, 21:07
I vote for a Black Diamond Firstlight. When you cut off the extra buckles, the cutsie line slides (use knots they're lighter) and take out all but 4 stakes the thing is 2.5 lbs. You can sit up in it, sleep 2 big guys keeping packs outside. I lived in one for 34 straight nites while on a mountain trek. The only downside for you is that it is yellow. I liked the yellow, it looked good in photographs.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/firstlight-tent

VirginiaTactical
05-26-11, 08:49
I am looking to purchase a tent and was looking for a few opinions. first of all I want something more or less low-profile and easy to pack and carry, preferably OD green in color. Second I was wondering, if I plan on using this for myself only, would yall recommend a one man or two man tent? I like that a one man tent is obviously smaller but with a two man I would be able to keep my pack and other gear in the tent with me. I've been on multiple backpacking treks and have experience with both types of tent so I am leaning towards a two man. What do yall think?

There are a ton of really good tents out there. Is there any specefic reason you want an OD green tent? I have a couple tents, but this is really going to depend on your application.

Are you backpacking?

Are you carcamping?

I don't know much about carcamping ... but if you are backpacking I am pretty satisfied with my northface quatz 22. Of course it is not OD green ... maybe you can dye the Fly OD green? It weighs just 5 lbs, which is perfect for my 2 day backpacking trips in the mountains.

jnr4817
05-27-11, 05:01
I bought a Sierra Designs Lightning XT2 about a year ago. It is a 2 person tent. Approx 80"x53". It has enough room for my Sleep pad, Sleeping bag, Backpack, and other gear. The vestibule allows for dry storage of boots. Has been waterproof so far. When my dog Keely comes along, she and I have enough room inside, as well.

Very light about 4lbs with fly and ground cover.

I really like it. Packs down really small. I carry a Kifaru Navigator and my backpack, a little over kill, but I like it.

Jason

Bighead
05-27-11, 08:47
Nemo Tents has some excellent backpacking tents...Nemo Equipment (http://www.nemoequipment.com/)

BlackBearHardware
05-28-11, 17:15
+1 on Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 SL. I have used this tent for over 5 years in alpine storms and the north Georgia mountains. When I bought it, it was the lightest 2-man tent on the market. Not sure if it still is. It packs down to about the size of a 2ltr, including footprint, less the poles. It is caveman to set up fast in nasty weather. Huge win.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/blackbearhardware/DSC00202.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/blackbearhardware/DSC00201.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/blackbearhardware/DSC00110.jpg

tacdrivrnc
05-28-11, 22:50
I second the Big Agnes 2-person tents, either the fly creek UL or the seed house UL, and REI has a 20% members coupon until 5/30. I'm a big fan of MSR, and use a Microzoid as a glorified bivy, but one of these tents will be my next tent purchase to give me more room at the same or less weight. They are both highly rated and Backpacker award-winning tents (IIRC). I have messed with both of them and I'm really impressed with their light weight and space.

Iraq Ninja
05-29-11, 07:48
Have you ever tried a modern hammock? I doubt I will ever use a tent again, unless there are no trees...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/DSC00822.jpg

HES
05-30-11, 00:25
Whats with the tan cells at the bottom? How do you do with sleeping in a slightly bent position? What is its effect on your back?

omega21
05-30-11, 07:44
Have you ever tried a modern hammock? I doubt I will ever use a tent again, unless there are no trees...
]

Can you get your boots on while still in the hammock or to you have to hop out to get your foot gear on?

Iraq Ninja
05-30-11, 12:17
Whats with the tan cells at the bottom? How do you do with sleeping in a slightly bent position? What is its effect on your back?

The tan cells are part of the underquilt- a down stuffed quilt you can put on the outside of your hammock is cold weather. Hammocks will keep you cool in hot weather, and a bit colder in cold weather, just like how bridges tend to freeze before roads. Then, you can either us a upper quilt, or just unzip your sleeping bag and lay it over you. I have gone down to 26 degrees and still stayed warm.

Modern hammocks allow you to sleep almost flat, especially when you sleep on a diagonal. Mine, a Warbonnet Blackbird, has a foot well on one end. I sleep better in a hammock than any bed. My back is always sore when sleeping on the ground. A modern hammock system is simply the best way to sleep, if you don't mind hammocks.

Omega,

Yes, you can put your boots on inside, but most people set up the hammock so the height allows it to be used as a chair when you turn sideways and put your feet out.

GLOCKMASTER
05-30-11, 14:13

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/DSC00822.jpg

With a good tarp it beats the heck out of sleeping in a tent on the ground.

Mitch
05-30-11, 15:31
Thats a cozy little home away from home ya got there, reminds me of my brother's various "camps" OCONUS. My favorite was his C-130 setup. I'm a fan of hammocks but don't use them in the winter due to the cold, thats an awesome solution, thanks for posting. Their setup makes for an integrated shelter and sleep system thats super light.

Thank you and Happy Memorial Day I.Ninja!

OldState
05-30-11, 21:11

Yes. Super lightweight. Their 4 person tent is lighter than many 2 person tents.

omega21
05-30-11, 23:12
Omega,

Yes, you can put your boots on inside, but most people set up the hammock so the height allows it to be used as a chair when you turn sideways and put your feet out.

Thanks Ninja - I appreciate it!

Dave L.
06-06-11, 03:40
I own a BA Speedhouse 2 SL, I bought it for two people and it's way to small. I decided to keep it for solo trips. For trips with my woman I'll be getting a BA 4-season tent.

I like the idea of using a hammock for getting quality sleep but I feel a tent gives me a better "work station" than just hanging out under a tarp.

Like someone else said, I think it's a good idea to buy the tent that is +1 from the number of people actually staying in it.

Ironman8
06-06-11, 08:16
Like someone else said, I think it's a good idea to buy the tent that is +1 from the number of people actually staying in it.

Not bad advice, but if you do go with a 1-person tent for solo trips, or a 2-person tent for two people, ect. then try to find one with a large vestibule

I have a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 for when me and my girl go backpacking for a few days...there is still room at our feet to put gear as well as a very large vestibule that can comfortably fit 1 pack and (sorta) fit 2....it also meets your color criteria...I like green colored tents as well.

enewlun
06-13-11, 10:20
I usually perfer not to use a tent, to me it defeats the purpose of camping. With that said I just got back from backpacking this weekend and I used the Nemo Tenshi, by far one of the best tents I've slept in. I have about 4 or 5 different types of small tents through work. For sleeping under the stars I like to use the Iguana Pop up mosquito neting.

MOTRON
06-30-11, 17:45
+1 on the +1 recommendation on capacity

hatidua
07-09-11, 16:20
low-profile and easy to pack and carry, preferably OD green in color. Second I was wondering, if I plan on using this for myself only, would yall recommend a one man

Hilleberg "Soulo" in green. Technically a one-man tent but it has a vestibule large enough for a Winter pack and all that that entails.

If that isn't a good fit, get a green Bibler/Black Diamond "Eldorado".

Either of those will survive any weather you'll encounter on this planet.