PDA

View Full Version : New Colt Sporter M4

mag318
05-25-11, 18:30
I saw my first one of these at my LGS today and compared it to and older Model 6920 Law Enforcement Carbine. Except for the markings I cannot see any difference. My question is are there any differences in build quality or is Colt just marketing these now differently?
The new M4 is marked Colt Firearms where as the LE version is marked Colt Defense.

C-grunt
05-25-11, 18:51
IraqGunz looked over my new SP6920 a few weeks back and he couldnt find a difference between them. Same with the armorers at my department.

forgiven
05-25-11, 19:11
None, that I could find.

jhs1969
05-25-11, 21:59
I had heard there were no differences in manufacturing or testing but I can not verify that. I saw one a month or two ago at a gun show and was impressed at the quality/price ratio. I had thought about getting one to back up my LE6920, however I decided to put together a BCM instead. The SP6920, I belive that is what the model is, strikes me as being one of the best values available at the moment.

fireblast713
05-25-11, 23:04
I dislike how companies use words like "sport", it really gives you no information regarding the rifle other than maybe what accessories will come with it, if someone told me they have a sport 6920 I would really have no idea how that would compare to the LE 6920, someone should come up with a standardized naming convention

sr71plane
05-25-11, 23:30
Looks to me like Colt is finally recognizing and respecting the civilian market again. About time. Someone can now get a Colt AR M4 style rifle without all the "Government and LE only warnings" carved into the side. I never understood why they felt like they had to do that in the first place. Of course they are the ones that through the years changed pins, cut carrier bolts, added pined in blocks, etc., etc., to their civilian rifles.

Frens
05-25-11, 23:43
the markings are the only difference.
hopefully this will make it easier to export :p

RAM Engineer
05-26-11, 07:23
I dislike how companies use words like "sport", it really gives you no information regarding the rifle other than maybe what accessories will come with it, if someone told me they have a sport 6920 I would really have no idea how that would compare to the LE 6920, someone should come up with a standardized naming convention

So maybe they should use the word "Tactical" instead? :rolleyes:

double-d
05-26-11, 07:59
I'm OK with the Sporter rollmark, have the Sporter rollmark on my pre-ban #6601 H-bar as well.. I just purchased the SP6920 over the LE model couple weeks ago. Would rather not have anyone question the whole LE only stuff and this avoids that. Weapons are identical to each other, looks to be well made (haven't fired it yet) and am quite happy with purchase.
What pricing is it listed for in your area?
DD

DasBulk
05-26-11, 08:37
I have an LE. Doesn't bug me in the least. Kinda chuckle a little when people who aren't shooters ask me about it. :ph34r:

sr71plane
05-26-11, 08:46
I have an LE. Doesn't bug me in the least. :ph34r:

I understand what you are saying. However, some do not like the idea (or reason) that Colt carved it there in the first place. But it is good that Colt is finally changing their stance on civilian rifles. Lets hope that it lasts this time.

C4IGrant
05-26-11, 09:13
I saw my first one of these at my LGS today and compared it to and older Model 6920 Law Enforcement Carbine. Except for the markings I cannot see any difference. My question is are there any differences in build quality or is Colt just marketing these now differently?
The new M4 is marked Colt Firearms where as the LE version is marked Colt Defense.

It is the same exact weapon. Absolutely ZERO differences (other than the fact that you do not have the stupid "for LE use only" on the side.

C4

C4IGrant
05-26-11, 09:15
I understand what you are saying. However, some do not like the idea (or reason) that Colt carved it there in the first place. But it is good that Colt is finally changing their stance on civilian rifles. Lets hope that it lasts this time.

Correct. MANY do not like the LE only markings on the side and avoid Colt guns because of it. So them offering the 6920 and 6940 without the roll marks is a good thing in my book.

C4

DasBulk
05-27-11, 01:00
I guess I can understand that..
How do you feel about the same markings on magazines?
My HK magazines have more or less the same markings.

C4IGrant
05-27-11, 08:13
I guess I can understand that..
How do you feel about the same markings on magazines?
My HK magazines have more or less the same markings.

I am not bothered by it. Then again, I am a C3 dealer.

If I was a Civy, buying things marked "LE Only" would not be my first choice.

YMMV

C4

OldState
05-27-11, 09:02
Looks to me like Colt is finally recognizing and respecting the civilian market again. About time. Someone can now get a Colt AR M4 style rifle without all the "Government and LE only warnings" carved into the side. I never understood why they felt like they had to do that in the first place. Of course they are the ones that through the years changed pins, cut carrier bolts, added pined in blocks, etc., etc., to their civilian rifles.

I am very glad Colt has moved in this direction. Now if they start adding some options like other companies, watch out. Had they not switched to regular small sized pins, etc, I would never have bought my LE6920 which is the first Colt product I was willing to own (I'll forgive the little receiver web thing). I also will not even consider them an option for 1911's until they have a 70 series versions of all their pistols. I think they totally missed the boat in the this market as well.

I refuse to play the proprietary and politically correct game with companies. Especially when there is competition that make products of equal quality.

I also refuse to own an IPOD or any Apple product;)

mag318
05-27-11, 18:24
Another thing I noticed about both the LE and Sporter 6920s is that they both were shipped with M16 bolt carriers. These have to be slightly heavier than AR15 carriers not that it makes any difference.

ltcfb
05-28-11, 12:53
Bought one a few weeks ago. Sighted in last weekend, and it is a tack driver.

duece71
05-28-11, 13:07
If a person were "collecting" ARs, then maybe the markings would be significant. If its about shooting the rifle, then markings would be irrelevant.

ltcfb
05-28-11, 13:29
I "collect" rifles to shoot.

duece71
05-28-11, 19:49
I "collect" rifles to shoot.

Well, me too, but you know what I mean. Some people have 1 AR and just shoot it. In your case maybe markings would be important!!:D

ltcfb
05-28-11, 22:32
I am not a label person. The M4 Sporter was cheaper than the LE. I shoot all of my weapons, just not all the time.

txf15crewchief
05-28-11, 23:39
I haven't seen any Sporters in my area, and an LE was available. I could care less about the markings as long as it's built properly and will shoot well.