PDA

View Full Version : AK Issue

bubba04
05-25-11, 21:50
I have a AK47 that I built out of a rommy g kit that I am having slight issues with, and wanted to see what yall think.

I have run approximately 1000 rounds through her, 400 of which we today of all the same surplus ammo manufactured in the 70's.

Approximately 5% of the time I have an extracted shell get caught between the bolt carrier and receiver as the bolt carrier moves forward to chamber a round.

My thought is that some of the ammo may be weak and that its essentially short stroking the round. As I watch the gun shoot it throws brass in the same spot 95% of the time, except for the shells that get caught between the bolt carrier and receiver.

Do yall think this is something else, or an ammo issue. The next time I go shoot I plan to try different ammo, but I have a case of this I need to finish burning through.

TOrrock
05-25-11, 22:10
What receiver are you using?

bubba04
05-25-11, 22:15
What receiver are you using?

Has the Nodak Spud NDS 3 receiver.

TOrrock
05-25-11, 22:19
I'm thinking the ejector isn't quite long enough.

bubba04
05-25-11, 22:24
Great thanks, I assume the fix here is to swap out extractors?

cz7
05-25-11, 22:28
different ammo like yugo ... i have had this happen with some surplus ammo ,a weak extraction but ....gas port lineament [dirty foaling clean the port area from barrel the gas block ]can do this as well as bad extractor /spring ...

TOrrock
05-25-11, 22:29
Ejector, not extractor. If it were leaving a shell in the chamber on a military barrel I'd blame the extractor, but if it's not getting the spent case out of the receiver then it's probably a short ejector. Long enough usually, but sometimes not.

I've known people to build up the ejector a bit to lengthen it.

bubba04
05-25-11, 22:30
I have only shot 1970's production yugo through her so far.

different ammo like yugo ... i have had this happen with some surplus ammo ,a weak extraction but ....gas port lineament [dirty foaling clean the port area from barrel the gas block ]can do this as well as bad extractor /spring ...

bubba04
05-25-11, 22:31
Thanks for the help guys. I sent you a PM Templar.

bubba04
06-05-11, 17:07
I am out shooting her again with silver bear ammo and seem to have the issue again, the wierd thing is I can make out where the ejector struck the case. It is not as strong a mark as those that are ejected properly though.

Wierd.

RD62
06-05-11, 20:40
Did you do anything to the ejector since last time?

bubba04
06-05-11, 20:50
Negative, I had only shot one brand of ammo through it and tried a different brand of ammo to eliminate the possibility of short stroking.

Looking at the fit between my bolt carrier and receiver this is a little play and I assume this is enough to cause the issues with the ejection.

When I look at the relationship between the bolt and ejector it looks like it is almost a perfect fit if the bolt cycles on the size of the ejector. However if if it cycles on the opposite side there is some play and the ejector hits the outer rim of the spent cartridge.

Iraqgunz
06-05-11, 23:46
In order to troubleshoot, you need to isolate. If you can't isolate then you will be chasing your tail.

1. If you know someone who has another AK then I would swap over the entire bolt and op rod. Before someone screams "headspace" it has been my experience that headspace in AK's is more forgiving.

2. Then put their bolt and op rod into your weapon and see what happens.

3. Try that ammo in another AK and see what happens. Also, get some better non-surplus ammo and try it out.

4. I have seen AK's that were 30 plus years old with play and they still functioned. Hell, I shot one that was almost 60 years old and it worked. The difference being that these AK's were made correctly at a factory.

I am inclined to believe that what Templar said is true. It sounds like the ejector may be short enough. If you have some dummy rounds try and hand cycle if you can and see if there is anything that stands out.

Negative, I had only shot one brand of ammo through it and tried a different brand of ammo to eliminate the possibility of short stroking.

Looking at the fit between my bolt carrier and receiver this is a little play and I assume this is enough to cause the issues with the ejection.

When I look at the relationship between the bolt and ejector it looks like it is almost a perfect fit if the bolt cycles on the size of the ejector. However if if it cycles on the opposite side there is some play and the ejector hits the outer rim of the spent cartridge.

bubba04
06-06-11, 07:25
I agree 100% and I should have been more clear.

Templar recommended a few guys I should talk to about my AK issues. I spoke with one last week and he stated it was either short stroking or it is indeed the ejector.

So yesterday I took it out and shot with some new manufactured ammunition and continued to have the problem. I also swapped out op rods but kept the bolt the same. Prior to going to the range I took some spent brass hand cycled it and the only thing I really noticed was a erratic ejection pattern, which I definitely see during live fire.

With the brass surplus the malfunctioned happened more frequently with the steel, however it still happened too frequently.

One thing I thought was interesting is the more I shot it, the more frequently the issue occurred.

At this point I plan to send the gun to the guy Templar recommended that I have been speaking with.

In order to troubleshoot, you need to isolate. If you can't isolate then you will be chasing your tail.

1. If you know someone who has another AK then I would swap over the entire bolt and op rod. Before someone screams "headspace" it has been my experience that headspace in AK's is more forgiving.

2. Then put their bolt and op rod into your weapon and see what happens.

3. Try that ammo in another AK and see what happens. Also, get some better non-surplus ammo and try it out.

4. I have seen AK's that were 30 plus years old with play and they still functioned. Hell, I shot one that was almost 60 years old and it worked. The difference being that these AK's were made correctly at a factory.

I am inclined to believe that what Templar said is true. It sounds like the ejector may be short enough. If you have some dummy rounds try and hand cycle if you can and see if there is anything that stands out.

I am sure me putting this thing together could be the root cause to all the issues. At this point I have very little invested into this gun, if I can get someone who knows what they are doing to fine tune it and make it reliable I will be pretty pumped.

Heavy Metal
06-06-11, 09:35
An experienced AK smith can build up the tip of the ejector with a tig welder and shape it with a die grinder. I know Troy Sellars at INRANGE can do this operation.

Dave_M
06-06-11, 14:47
I agree with Templar and Iraqgunz that it sounds like the ejector is too small. There's also the possibility that it wasn't properly heat-treated and it has worn but seeing as how it's an NDS I'd put that secondarily. If it weren't a G-kit I might even think it was undergassed (can you guys imagine, an under gassed AKM :D)

it has been my experience that headspace in AK's is more forgiving.

For grins sometime, check headspace on a couple of WASR's... haha

bubba04
06-06-11, 14:56
As soon as I get the funds/approval for the wife I Will be sending it off for the repair work.

I appreciate yalls help.

Iraqgunz
06-06-11, 15:05
I probably should have been more detailed. I meant to say on real factory AK's from places like Poland, East Germany, Russia, Bulgaria, etc...

I agree with Templar and Iraqgunz that it sounds like the ejector is too small. There's also the possibility that it wasn't properly heat-treated and it has worn but seeing as how it's an NDS I'd put that secondarily. If it weren't a G-kit I might even think it was undergassed (can you guys imagine, an under gassed AKM :D)

For grins sometime, check headspace on a couple of WASR's... haha

Dave_M
06-06-11, 19:24
I probably should have been more detailed. I meant to say on real factory AK's from places like Poland, East Germany, Russia, Bulgaria, etc...

No, I just saying do it for some laughs. Many many of them will fully close on a no-go :D