PDA

View Full Version : Troy BUIS - M4 vs HK style

skeet25
05-26-11, 02:41
Researching BUIS options to complete my build, and have run into a small dilemma here. I have narrowed down the choices to a set of Troy folding front and rear BattleSight set and need to make a decision as to M4 or HK front sight style.

I found this thread from a year ago: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54909

After digesting the responses here, and in TOS the responses seem to be either: personal preference or get the M4, since the Troy rear sight does not adjust for W & E, and is therefore not a true HK configuration.:confused:

In my application, I have a 16" middy with a 12" DD Omega X, and an Eotech EXPS2.0. Would the lower 1/3 cowitness in this setup influence which front sight style to pick?

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Alaskapopo
05-26-11, 03:57
Researching BUIS options to complete my build, and have run into a small dilemma here. I have narrowed down the choices to a set of Troy folding front and rear BattleSight set and need to make a decision as to M4 or HK front sight style.

I found this thread from a year ago: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54909

After digesting the responses here, and in TOS the responses seem to be either: personal preference or get the M4, since the Troy rear sight does not adjust for W & E, and is therefore not a true HK configuration.:confused:

In my application, I have a 16" middy with a 12" DD Omega X, and an Eotech EXPS2.0. Would the lower 1/3 cowitness in this setup influence which front sight style to pick?

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

The front sight is for elevation on most all AR15 sights. The rear sight adjustment is for windage. Its mostly a matter of prefrence. Both work the same. I like the looks of the HK style sights.
Pat

wahoo95
05-26-11, 06:23
I have the HK style on 2 different rifles and prefer it, however I was lucky enough to have rifles that zero'd with the post in the center of the HK "circle"

YVK
05-26-11, 08:43

Not because it is not a true HK configuration, but because - unless you get lucky and your front post ends up right in the middle of that front sight semi-circle - you don't get a benefit of diopter system and, worse, it messes up with your instinctive sight picture acquisition.

markm
05-26-11, 09:00
Yep. That whole HK sights on an AR thing sickens me.

Let me downgrade my sight system, then take pics and post them on the net and be proud of myself. :jester:

But I guess if you're settling on a flip up system anyway.. who cares? :rolleyes:

Alaskapopo
05-26-11, 17:57
Yep. That whole HK sights on an AR thing sickens me.

Let me downgrade my sight system, then take pics and post them on the net and be proud of myself. :jester:

But I guess if you're settling on a flip up system anyway.. who cares? :rolleyes:

I don't feel there is anything wrong with people sharing pics of their guns, some of which they have built. I enjoy looking at other peoples guns and like sharing pics of mine as well.
I have used both styles of Troy back up sights and can't tell any difference in performance. Why the hate?
Pat

Cagemonkey
05-26-11, 18:13
I'm no fan of full hooded front sights. The hood restricts your field of view and can confuse your eye. Your eye naturally wants to center the round hood in the rear sight aperture. This works out fine if the front sight post is not adjustable. If the front sight post is adjustable then you can get your sight alignment wrong. I like the good old dog ear front sights.