PDA

View Full Version : A couple of M&P problems.

futureAT
05-26-11, 09:03
I just bought a new M&P9 with the 4.25" barrel and standard 3-dot sights. A friend of mine has a pretty new M&P9 Pro Series with the 5" barrel which came with the Hi-Vis fiber optic front sight and blacked out rear sight. We shot some yesterday; I put ~250 rounds through mine, and my friend put ~150 rounds through his with ~200 rounds previously fired through it. Things were going good up until about the 100th round of standard 115gr magtech 9mm FMJ. The white dot in my front site disappeared. It looks like it fell out. Then my friend noticed the rear sight on his M&P started moving left and right with ease but the allen screw is still in the rear sight. Neither one of these gun's sights have been tampered with previously. Has anyone else had similar problems with the sights on their M&P's? Should we send them back to S&W or just replace the sights ourselves? I'm pretty disappointed because I haven't had a problem with my M&P45 and I keep reading really good things about the M&P pistols; but here are 2 pretty big problems in the same day with basically the same model guns with very low round counts. Hmm..

C4IGrant
05-26-11, 09:11
I just bought a new M&P9 with the 4.25" barrel and standard 3-dot sights. A friend of mine has a pretty new M&P9 Pro Series with the 5" barrel which came with the Hi-Vis fiber optic front sight and blacked out rear sight. We shot some yesterday; I put ~250 rounds through mine, and my friend put ~150 rounds through his with ~200 rounds previously fired through it. Things were going good up until about the 100th round of standard 115gr magtech 9mm FMJ. The white dot in my front site disappeared. It looks like it fell out. Then my friend noticed the rear sight on his M&P started moving left and right with ease but the allen screw is still in the rear sight. Neither one of these gun's sights have been tampered with previously. Has anyone else had similar problems with the sights on their M&P's? Should we send them back to S&W or just replace the sights ourselves? I'm pretty disappointed because I haven't had a problem with my M&P45 and I keep reading really good things about the M&P pistols; but here are 2 pretty big problems in the same day with basically the same model guns with very low round counts. Hmm..

The front sight white dot falling out is VERY common. You can paint it or send the slide back to S&W for a new one. I would personally suggest getting some night sights.

Sometimes the rear sights on the M&P's can be loose. You can loctite the rear sight into the slide or call S&W for a new one to be installed.

C4

wahoo95
05-26-11, 09:17
I wouldnt stress it....you'll most likely end up replacing the sights anyway :D

I plan to replace mine soon....so far I have blacked out the rear dots but would like to replace the rear with either a Warren or Dawson.

CaptainDooley
05-26-11, 09:51
The white on the front sight fell out of my wife's 9mm M&Pc on our first trip to the range. I repainted it and plan to simply replace the sights with some night sights as soon as we can figure out what will work best for her.

jmreagan
05-26-11, 18:20
The white on the front sight fell out of my wife's 9mm M&Pc on our first trip to the range. I repainted it and plan to simply replace the sights with some night sights as soon as we can figure out what will work best for her.

I recommend you to do the same OP.

futureAT
05-26-11, 18:41
As always, your responses and advice are greatly appreciated. I threw some whiteout on it, just to give me a reference for aiming for the time being. I will replace it shortly with a novak night sight or similar. Stay safe!

Nephrology
05-26-11, 18:56
During my first magazine through an M&P (9mm FS) I noticed my groups kept walking left. Hmm, that's odd, I thought... and then I realized that the rear sight had drifted almost entirely out of the rear dovetail.

So, from my fairly small experience with them, seems normal to me!

kac
05-26-11, 20:04
Same kind of thing happened to me. We had to loctite in both the front and the rear eventually.

xray 99
05-26-11, 21:22
The front dots on my M&P 45 and M&P 40C blew off during the first 150 to 200 rounds. I didn't care as both are being replaced with night sights.