PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a SPR(18" SS) & CQB (10.5" CL) at a new CMP steel target: captured in HD

ALCOAR
05-26-11, 15:20

ALCOAR
05-26-11, 15:20
The second dead bird....

This new steel target I bought from Custom Metal Products (CMP) for a total cost including shipping of $91, is easily one of the best pickups I made in some time. I only needed to have one extremely fun day with it and my AR's to know just how great these steel targets are.

I won't go to deep as I think my videos above should do all the talking combined with the few pictures I'm posting, but I do feel obligated to throw a bit of love to CMP given how damn pleased I'm with my purchase, and also the fact that I had an email from the company president less than 30mins after ordering informing me that my order was about to be shipped(this was monday...received it on weds.) and wanted to know if I had any comments, suggestions, or questions for him at that time. Straight first class gent, and I research forever about this AR500 target business and his prices were the very best I found on the net.

So ask yourself, is that target in my video's worth a bit less than a $100 bill....I submit hell yes it is, do yourself and your shooting game a favor, and look into getting your own steel setup for your AR's.

Pics....
http://i52.tinypic.com/200yc6u.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/214w0if.jpg

Takedown:
http://i53.tinypic.com/30vofw2.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/ndx5pz.jpg

Only little flaw, a shot took a small chip off the edge but from my understanding any high quality AR500 plate will do the same.
http://i52.tinypic.com/1pbjw2.jpg

eternal24k
05-26-11, 15:55
good stuff!

And I am definitely going to have to give them a call, I need some steel to bang on

caelumatra
05-26-11, 16:08
Did you find the 18 grouping better than the 10 or anything of the sort?

Also, both of these are Rock barrels right?

Edit:
lol I guess watching the videos all the way through answered my question. Looked like 3 misses with 10 and the 18 was a tight group center mass?

Not criticizing, these are good videos for sure. Just wondering

MichaelVain
05-26-11, 16:22
Those are awesome videos. I'm going to order those targets, my steel ones are beat to hell.

Thank you very much for the videos, very well done.

MistWolf
05-26-11, 16:24
Looks like a lot of fun! When were kids, we'd go camping in a canyon in the Mojave Desert that gave us a mountainside a mile or two long and covered with granite rocks to shoot against. We'd pick out a rock, guesstimate the hold-over, fire and wait in anticipation for the tell-tale thwock of a solid hit with anything we shoot- including shotgun slugs

Oh- Ya left your car door open....

Boss Hogg
05-26-11, 17:11
"Only little flaw, a shot took a small chip off the edge but from my understanding any high quality AR500 plate will do the same."

Plates that chip on the edges are not high quality.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-26-11, 18:05
Thanks for posting the videos, but I'm not quite sure it really proves the point. A solid rest for the rifle and quantitative measure of accuracy is needed to prove your premise that they are as accurate as each other. Yes you showed that you can hit steel almost as well with an SBR as you can with a SPR. And for most people, especially steel assualters, I guess that is good enough.

The issues I have are that 240yards isn't all that far and you aren't taking into account how much velocity those rounds are carrying even at that short distance. I think I can see a difference in the energy imparted on the target, but that is qualitative not quantitative measurement. For bad guy shooters, that might be a consideration.

Longer barrels really only add accuracy potential because the potential of the sight radius being longer. Scopes take that out of the equation.

Like I said, thanks for the videos. They beat the crap out of the videos that I haven't posted ;) . I'm also trained as a chemist and I love to pick apart 'experiments'.

Where did you get the mount for the camera that goes from P-rail to I assume 1//4-20 camera mount? Can't quite swing for a the new Contour, that might work for some cameras I have around.

Looking forward to more videos.

You and Cameron are like gun twins. I opened the thread and just looked at the pics and though they were his.

ALCOAR
05-26-11, 21:23

jbo723
05-26-11, 21:57
Those are awesome videos. I'm going to order those targets, my steel ones are beat to hell.

Thank you very much for the videos, very well done.

Good shooting Brother and thanks for the heads up on the targets. Mine are also beat to hell. It must have over 40K shot through it so far and 50% of it being .308 and at under 50 yards..

87GN
05-26-11, 22:52
It should not be surprising that a steel plate can be hit at 236 yards with a 10.5.

Dirtyboy333
05-26-11, 23:04
That's bad ass Trident.

Is it just me or can you actually see the vapor trail or wave right before it makes contact with the plate in the 1st video? I'm watching from an iPod so maybe not.

Joe R.
05-26-11, 23:08
While the vids are cool, I'm not sure just what you are trying to illustrate. Yes SBRs can be accurate at extended ranges.

The problem arises with the ballistic potential of the round when it reaches the target. A round from a 10.5" barrel is not going to provide the same terminal ballistic performance as an 18" barrel. Don't get me wrong I don't really want to stand in front of either.

What I found interesting was the vapor trail on the first vid. This is something most people never get to see and the vid is a great illustration of it.

ETA: Edge hits from centerfire rifle rounds on high quality steel WILL produce damage to the plate.

Dirtyboy333
05-26-11, 23:18
What I found interesting was the vapor trail on the first vid. This is something most people never get to see and the vid is a great illustration of it.

Do you think the SBR doesn't show the vapor trail bc of the decreased velocity/energy or is it just slightly different lighting between the two vids?

uwe1
05-26-11, 23:57
Thanks for the vid. That's the first time I've ever seen the vapor trail from that perspective. It's on Top Sniper, but this was a much better view.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-27-11, 00:31
My house policy is quite simple, I perform the particular details in my "tests/threads" for my pure selfish curiosity, and by extension I then post the findings in an effort to share with the AR community.

Please keep it up!

How are you getting the long range impact shots- camera and lens. I'm looking for a T mount adaptor for my 5DmkII to my Kowa scope and then hook the 5D to a laptop soI can easily replay the video from my shooting position.

What was that P-rail to camer mount on the MRP?

Failure2Stop
05-27-11, 05:07
It's nice to get people outside, actually shooting their guns, so with that in mind, please accept my thanks in providing data to the readers.

However, long barrels are primarily to provide the projectile with sufficient velocity (really force) to do work at the ranges at which readily hitting a torso becomes less than easy. There was also a time in which we were all shooting with iron sights, and longer barrels meant longer sight radius, which meant less aiming error. It has been well known that shorter barrels are more rigid than longer, and therefore (if all other factors are the same) will be more consistent.

I have shot 10.5 inch guns out past 500 meters on torso targets, and as long as th trigger puller did his job, the target danced. However, what that little 62 gr pill will do at that velocity is less than impressive.
True, whoever is on the other side of that shot isn't going to be much happier, but a few hundred feet per second more can make a significant difference at those ranges and when trying to penetrate common cover.

Pappabear
05-27-11, 05:36
Nice vids, I continue to be impressed with what my 11.5's will do at 100 yards for tight groups.

Good stuff.

Boss Hogg
05-27-11, 05:38
While the vids are cool, I'm not sure just what you are trying to illustrate. Yes SBRs can be accurate at extended ranges.

The problem arises with the ballistic potential of the round when it reaches the target. A round from a 10.5" barrel is not going to provide the same terminal ballistic performance as an 18" barrel. Don't get me wrong I don't really want to stand in front of either.

ETA: Edge hits from centerfire rifle rounds on high quality steel WILL produce damage to the plate.

Joe R- I don't want to turn this into a debate on plate steel, but the old (I believe)Portatarget steel at BSR had no cratering on the edges. I can't recall seeing any on Action Target made with AR550. The MGM targets I've shot seem prone to it. I will see if I can get pics

OP-- you'll find that the targets last way longer when shot with the 10.5". 18" can really chew up steel. I noticed that you're shooting them with Vmax ammo. As a hanging target it shouldn't show that much pitting at 236 yards. (hanging targets are able to spread out the impact longer than a static plate) I'd only shoot them with FMJ.

rob_s
05-27-11, 07:11
[Content removed]

RAM Engineer
05-27-11, 07:29
The only thing those rifles have in common with ACTUAL SPRs and MK18s is the barrel length. Calling a rifle with a 10.3" barrel a Mk18 is as accurate as calling a Colt 6921 an "M4". Pure thread-bait marketing.

Couldn't you have just said: "A duel between the 18" SS barrel and a 10.5" CL barrel captured in HD"?

jwfuhrman
05-27-11, 08:44
Seriously Rob, your being a Troll. You post NOTHING of use anymore, only negative things. You seem to like to put your self on a high horse, with everyone else being a bottom feeder compared to you. I'd hate to see how you treat your friends and family, if you have any left that will still associate with you.....

Trident - keep up the posts. lots of people have talked about those shots being possible, but its nice to see video of it actually happening.....

SHIVAN
05-27-11, 09:20
I'm not sure how we covered so much in so few posts, and I'm more than a little perplexed why people are at each others' throats. Please stop the direct frontal assaults on one another. Disagree, respectfully.

One, or more, people need to step back from the internet for a minute, and take a deep breath.

We value people's input on our forum, but for the love of God, act like we're all in the same room having this conversation - instead of behind a keyboard.

polymorpheous
05-27-11, 09:31
"Only little flaw, a shot took a small chip off the edge but from my understanding any high quality AR500 plate will do the same."

Plates that chip on the edges are not high quality.

The sides of the plate lost some of it's stress because of the heat from the cut.
Completely normal on AR500.

SHIVAN
05-27-11, 09:46
I love shooting steel, especially at longer distance. My 10.5" Noveske bbl will do it too, and I have no delusions of ever making that shot in my real life, but it's good to know I can do it.

I am curious about the shots in the video though, was there a distinct purpose to the attempted double taps at 240yds? It would seem that type of distance would warrant better trigger control. Curious if that was just "see if it can be done" or some other mindset.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My 3/8" AR500 special abrasion resistant steel was purchased from Regol-G directly, and cut in to 12"x12" squares, with plasma cut holes for mounting. I've given plates to several people, and it takes the abuse for quite a long time. It's easily some of the best AR500 I've seen used, and the guys shooting the plates I gave them tend to agree.

The heat from cutting ruins the temper right at the edges, and I suppose it's possible that some outfits re-temper their plates to make a consistent surface from edge to edge. No idea. I know the edges on my plates will get nicked from time to time, but the face holds up to M193 & M855 @ sub-50yds pretty easily. Handgun rounds don't even mark it. 338 Lapua ball ammo at 35yds left no discernable imprint. 50BMG at 152yds bent it due to the way it was mounted in the berm.

Cameron
05-27-11, 11:28
I like the fact that there are actually people are out there putting rounds downrange and exploring capabilities with their ARs.

I don't know about the mods here, but I just find it weird that someone with 11,700 posts on the forum is acting like an envious immature troll.

Ah, youth, and the folly of a summer off from school and money burning a hole in one's pockets with few to no actual real-world responsibilities...

... Posting revelations like "pussy feels good!" just aren't very productive IMO.

It might be better if you just kept one "look at me" vanity thread going with all of your little discoveries.

I might be missing the back story here, but this is getting tiresome.

Cameron

Army Chief
05-27-11, 11:48
Understood. That is being addresseed; in the meantime, let's keep this on an even keel.

AC

Joe R.
05-27-11, 11:56
DirtyBoy333, the lack of vapor trail in the vid of the 10.5" gun could be from several reasons. You hit the first one, lack of velocity. The lighting may have an effect, but I wonder if the camera angle was the same for both, as this will also have an effect on your ability to see the trail.

Boss Hogg, while working for HK and teaching at several ranges with more then a few different types of steel (Action Target, Porta Target, Arntzen, Salute, Larue, just to name some of the ones I can recall) I can tell you I have seen all of them display some damage due to 5.56 edge hits. Some plates display more or less damage then others but I have yet to see one that didn't have at least a small ding from an edge hit. There may be something out there. I have yet to see it.

Scoby
05-27-11, 11:57
Looks like you hammered it good! I like the impact sound a round makes on steel.

I guess I'm like most. The major difference here would be the downrange energy of the round. Not that it really matters on steel. Any noticable trajectory drop with the shorter barrel? With lower velocity I'd think it would have some.

I've got two 8"x12" plates on stands. One is set a 167 yds and the other is 275 yds. Weird yardages I know. Had to place them with a safe backstop. They have been a blast to shoot.

Working on my 400 yd one now that I have my big loader back to the house. Got the dirt backstop done and have a 24"w x 48"h x 3/8"tk plate I'm going to anchor in the ground. I'll leave 30" of the 48" exposed and end up with a 24"w x 30"h target. Can't wait to take shots at it this weekend.

lumpia
05-27-11, 12:18
[B][SIZE="5"]

This new steel target I bought from Custom Metal Products (CMP) for a total cost including shipping of $91, is easily one of the best pickups I made in some time. I only needed to have one extremely fun day with it and my AR's to know just how great these steel targets are.

Do you have a link to the company? It seems google has a whole list of companies by that name.

SteveL
05-27-11, 12:48
Do you have a link to the company? It seems google has a whole list of companies by that name.

http://custommetalprod.com/

You can also get steel here:

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=1020

ALCOAR
05-28-11, 00:09

MistWolf
05-28-11, 00:43
Trident, give it some time for things to settle down a bit. It ain't all bad

Scoby
05-28-11, 06:06
Trident, This kind of thing is not unique to this board. You'll find that there are pricks everywhere. Hang in man.

I think members should realize that not everyone enjoys the same type / style of shooting an AR and derive different things from it. Even though the AR was designed as a battle rifle for military / LE purposes, there is a hell of alot of fun that can be had with them besides that.

I hope my outburst in your other thread is not contributing to what your're thinking now. If I remember right, I apologized in advance for it and do so again now. I lost my temper then, and hindsight being what it is, I was wrong in posting it. It's gone now. ;) However, I meant every word of it. Most internet commandos would not say the things they do when talking to someone FTF.

Keep doing what you do and let us all know about it.

Oh, if he had that power, there wouldn't be but 4 people on this board. ;)

Scoby
05-28-11, 06:08
Double Tap

CoryCop25
05-28-11, 06:58
Trident, I commend you on several things. Your attention to quality equipment, your long range shooting skills and your love and devotion to the AR platform and how it can be adapted to any shooting distance. I never shot further than 100 yards and never shot steel with my ARs. Keep up the great work! Your posts are informative and i'd rather see pics or videos of members shooting than propping their $1000.00+ rifle on their workbench.

Traveshamockery
05-28-11, 07:38
Thanks for the videos, Trident. Good stuff for a relative AR newb like me.

SkiDevil
05-28-11, 14:28
Hey Trident,
I hope that you decide to stick around. I always enjoyed reading your contributions and appreciated advice which you provided to myself and others here.

Nice, videos by the way. Like someone else said I plan on ordering one of those steel targets too, a C-note seems pretty reasonable.

Take it easy,
SkiDevil

P.S. If you ever have the chance, maybe you could do something similar out to 500 yards?:cool:

Jake'sDad
05-28-11, 14:42
Thanks for the interesting stuff Trident, and the heads up on the target. Think I'll pick one up!

Boss Hogg
05-28-11, 15:10
DirtyBoy333, the lack of vapor trail in the vid of the 10.5" gun could be from several reasons. You hit the first one, lack of velocity. The lighting may have an effect, but I wonder if the camera angle was the same for both, as this will also have an effect on your ability to see the trail.

Boss Hogg, while working for HK and teaching at several ranges with more then a few different types of steel (Action Target, Porta Target, Arntzen, Salute, Larue, just to name some of the ones I can recall) I can tell you I have seen all of them display some damage due to 5.56 edge hits. Some plates display more or less damage then others but I have yet to see one that didn't have at least a small ding from an edge hit. There may be something out there. I have yet to see it.

There's a difference between pocking and cratering. The pics the OP posted show a crater. I have an AR500 plate on order that I will do some testing on. It comes with a significant endorsement from an SME I trust.

jwfuhrman
05-28-11, 16:29
Boss Hog - all my Steel targets from MGM Targets ALL have the same thing from edge hits, and MGM is probably THE top of the line Steel Targets.

warriorsociologist
05-28-11, 16:44
Thanks for the interesting stuff Trident, and the heads up on the target. Think I'll pick one up!

What he said.
Thanks again -- and please stick around.

Surf
05-28-11, 17:42
I almost don't want to say anything, for fear that my input from my own career experiences or my constructive criticism might be taken as an attack on the OP or the topic itself. So much so that I almost didn't post this. While I don't pat anyone on the butt just because, or blow smoke up their ass, I try not to be an ass just because. Anyway, since I do my own video thing, I know the effort to set up stuff, film it and post it, so I give credit there. Even though most of my vids are pistol and rifle CQB stuff, my real bread and butter and my main working background is long range related stuff so here goes....

I became a huge believer in shorter barrels about 12 years ago, when I started running a primary bolt action Rem 700 .308 based rifle (working rifle) with a barrel length of 18.5". You should have seen the looks of the naysayers at that time frame. On the range and out in the field quickly shut anyone up. Easily good for hits out to and beyond 1000+. Again not speaking terminal ballistics but being able to achieve consistent hits. However the greatest advantage to the shorter barrels is not so much the efficacy of the terminal ballistics on hard or soft targets, but the ease of which we can manipulate that rifle under field conditions. Stalking, getting into improvised positions or just flat out humping with a smaller / lighter rifle is a huge bonus and this IMO is the biggest benefit. This same benefit also translates into the AR/M4 platform IMO.

Having said that, I really wouldn't consider 240 yards on 12x24 steel with this particular platform to be any type of range where you might notice any real differences. Optics, rate of fire, weapon accuracy, shooter skill play a role but it is hard to put a finger on it at this distance. Even an iron sighted or red dot mounted sight on a USGI equipped rifle will give the same results. So as has been mentioned you will see more of a difference when you push distances beyond 450 - 500 yards and I am sure you plan on getting out there. Again you will start to get into terminal ballistics differences mostly on hard objects as opposed to soft. I have shot very effectively with an 18" AR .223 out to 920 yards on 18" x 30" steel to the point where it was almost routine. At these distances putting 2 rounds in the air at the same time with both being hits was pretty cool. Try it out. Not sure what the terminal ballistics out of that set up / bullet combo would be exactly but I still wouldn't want to get hit by one.

While your not discovering anything new in the realm of distance shooting, it is a VERY good thing for a shooter to not only come to this realization be it on their own or being taught, but more importantly that you are actually going out and shooting it for yourself and not just theorizing about it on paper or online. In any event, if you stay or not is up to you and if I am coming off as negative I will gladly stay away from any further topics by the OP.

Scoby
05-28-11, 19:26
Got my long range backstop and steel target done.

The rifle. Noveske 16" Recce LoPro with Leupold 1.5x5 Mk 4
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/IMG_0729.jpg

The rifle and distance. 440 yds by Garmin GPS
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/IMG_0724.jpg

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/IMG_0726.jpg

The target after being hammered with 55gr FMJ PPU M193
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/IMG_0730.jpg

I've never shot steel at this range. Didn't know if I'd hear it or not with hearing protection on but I did. There was a second between the shot and the impact.

Surf. I also thought about having two shots in the air at the same time. Gonna try it for sure.

SMGLee
05-28-11, 20:20
Only little flaw, a shot took a small chip off the edge but from my understanding any high quality AR500 plate will do the same.
http://i52.tinypic.com/1pbjw2.jpg

Water jet cut plates tend to have less damages around the edges.

COVERBUSTER
05-28-11, 20:47
Try some 69's next time, they make a great smack on steel.

Fun vids, keep up the good work !!

Are those the 2/3 IDPA targets?? 80 bucks + shipping.

Crap, just ordered 4................

Dirtyboy333
05-28-11, 21:16
Scoby, that is a beautiful range you got there. I would love to have access to something like that. It's hard to find 100 flat yards where I live. :p

Oh, ver nice gun also

ALCOAR
05-28-11, 22:11

Dirtyboy333
05-28-11, 22:22
Damn 600yrds. I'd love to get a chance to shoot that far.

In the last part of the vid it looks like everytime you hit the steel there's some bullet fragments ricocheting into the pond. Both vids you posted captured some neat stuff.

Glad to see you back!!!

Scoby
05-29-11, 11:48
600 yds is a long frickin ways. Good shooting Trident.

mpom
05-29-11, 15:18
Nice setup!
Interesting how the water is disturbed following hits on steel; bullet fragments going into the water?

Mark

ALCOAR
06-05-11, 20:54

fhpchris
06-06-11, 05:44
Trident, don't let rob hate on your parade. These are the same people who come on here and post, "WTF STOP BUMPING OLD THREADS!!??!!" and "WTF DONT MAKE A NEW THREAD!! SEARCH FOR OLD THREADS!!!" within almost the same half hour....

You would think some years of professionalism or wisdom would show through....

ALCOAR
06-06-11, 09:40

markm
06-06-11, 09:48
I appreciate the words of encouragement...it's been a bit dicey around here lately but that is of absolute no fault of the moderation or the majority of the m4c membership base, but rather just internet tumble weeds to put it nicely:)

Hopefully the staff FINALLY has enough for a perma ban.

ALCOAR
06-09-11, 12:43

Dirtyboy333
06-09-11, 13:33
Thanks Trident. I just ordered it and I can't wait. It really is the best deal I could find. This will be my first time ringing steel. Well, at least with anything larger then a 22LR @50 yards (even that was alot of fun).

Dirtyboy333
06-09-11, 14:38
DP sorry

Dirtyboy333
06-09-11, 14:50
Just want to add/confirm the great service from this place. I had responses to my email questions within minuets and they're VERY polite.

I ordered like an hour ago and within 15 min I had a tracking number and an email basically asking if they could do anything else for me. Now I'm sure the shipment isn't actually on the truck in 15min but it will be before the end of the day.

So, great price, lightening fast shipping and amazing service, assuming/expecting the product to be the same, you can't ask for anything more.

Thanks Trident and CMP

Now out to hunt for a 400+ yard shot which won't be an easy find. Are you permitted to do this on PA state game lands?

ALCOAR
06-09-11, 15:13

Jake'sDad
06-09-11, 18:31
Just snapped a few pics for a fellow pal/member who was about to order one of these steel targets and needed some measurements so I figured I would share them with the community as well:)

After shooting groups for prob. way to long w. my precision rifles, it's priceless finally shooting a quality steel target @ distance, and I think it will pay dividends in terms of real world training unlike shooting groups.
That's awesome. I'm getting one too.

Scoby
06-10-11, 11:50
As been mentioned in this thread, and just for the heck of it, my son and I both tried to get two shots in the air before the first shot hit the target at 440 yds. We were able to do it a number of times.

You do have to be quick to get that second shot off and to stay on target with the 5x optic to make it work. A higher magnification optic should be much easier.

My son and I had a little competition going with this. I must admit, my 17 yo was able to out do his old man.

Jake'sDad
06-10-11, 11:56
As been mentioned in this thread, and just for the heck of it, my son and I both tried to get two shots in the air before the first shot hit the target at 440 yds. We were able to do it a number of times.

You do have to be quick to get that second shot off and to stay on target with the 5x optic to make it work. A higher magnification optic should be much easier.

My son and I had a little competition going with this. I must admit, my 17 yo was able to out do his old man.

Good for him!

He's obviously paid attention to his old man, and he's got the added benefit of young eyes.

ALCOAR
06-10-11, 13:04

LRB45
06-11-11, 00:03
The dueling tree looks awesome, especially for handguns!

Dirtyboy333
06-11-11, 02:53
Trident, tommorrow, well actually today I was planning on whipping up a saw horse stand exactly like yours for my new steel. I just watched your 700+ yard video and it looked like you were using a different wooden stand in that vid although it was 700+ yards away so Im probably mistaken. :p

Anyway, did you build a new setup that's different from your setup in your 1st post? If so, what are your opinions?

ALCOAR
06-11-11, 06:24

Dirtyboy333
06-11-11, 09:23
Thanks bud. Yeah CMP's stand is the way to go. I just couldn't afford it until next payday and I'll probably order some pistol targets as well. (not saying the stand is expensive, I'm saying that my ass is broke :p)

ALCOAR
06-12-11, 21:22

Jake'sDad
06-12-11, 21:50
If you care to see how it reacts on that frame...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qr23GQjrPY

Awesome!

I gotta find friends with a bigger piece of property than I have. ;)

And the fly sound effects were perfect.

Dirtyboy333
06-12-11, 22:35
Damnit Trident I just built the original saw horse stand and now I see this. :p. I really like that one and I also love the paint job on the target.

My steel will be here tommorrow (Monday) so I'll put it up and take some pics but it's pretty much going to look just like your 1st one. Since the steel is only 20lbs, the horizontal pole is one of those collaspable kind like if you were to take apart one of those portable cloths hangers or basically like a shower rod except metal and stronger. That way I can mess with the width of the stand at the range and see what works best and then I'll cut a much stronger piece.

You got some big damn flies/bees in Bama. Haha

ALCOAR
06-13-11, 14:09

Dirtyboy333
06-13-11, 16:55
Those are some neat looking fragments. I just tracked my package and it says delivered:). On my way home from work in Pitt about 25min from home.

Living in a rusty steel mill/ coal mine region, being excited to see a piece of steel is definately a first for me. :p

ALCOAR
06-21-11, 14:45

jonconsiglio
06-21-11, 15:01
Will a 5.56 have enough energy to spin a 12" ar500 plate at 500 yards, give or take?

On a side note, I have a LMT mk18 (block 2 type) coming tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing how this performs compared to my MRP did. Though my MRP was a 12", I did use a 10.5" barrel for a while.

This will be my first short barrel LMT that's not the MRP. I'm lookon forward to it.

Dirtyboy333
06-21-11, 19:10
That sounds great Trident. CMP really is great. I personally put a huge weight when judging a company on shipping time and they shipped faster than Midway. Ive been spoiled lately and anything less than same day or in some cases next day shipping doesn't cut it for me.

Although I'm very interested in seeing this target you mentioned I most likely won't be purchasing one. Im satisfied with my 12x20 and I've only had a chance to shoot at it once for about 5min. It was alot of fun and I can't wait till the weekend.

First 4 shots were all hits with TULA and a GI trigger @400. The only misses were a few shots that a buddy shot. Moving it back to 600 with my SMK handloads this weekend. My range is awesome. I have shoot across a couple valleys and it looks alot further than it really is. Thanks for influencing me to pick up this target. The first "ring" instantly made LR shooting my favorite shooting.

It really gives me great confidence knowing that my little carbine can reach out and "touch" something if it ever needs to. :p

ETA: I forgot to mention that 3 shots hit the edge of the target and there was no chipping whatsoever. They were just 55 gr so maybe that's why.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Dirtyboy333/8e62b035.jpg

ALCOAR
06-21-11, 19:55

Dirtyboy333
06-21-11, 20:58
For now and the foreseeable future, mine is mounted like this:

I'm just using an expandable metal pole from an old "portable closet/clothes hanger" for the crossbar. The target is hung with 2 toe straps doubled over to raise the height. The stand is just a simple 2x4 sAw horse.

I put a 1/2" bolt with a washer through the target mounting hole. I bought a 4' strip of "holed sheet metal?" from Lowes for under 5 bucks (see pics). I then cut it to a length that when centered on back of the target it is long enough to allow 2 holes on each side of the "neck" of the target. I then bent the strip 90 degrees on both sides so it is flush with the "neck". Then, of course, I hooked through the rearmost holes in the mounting bar with the tow strap hooks.

The reason I bent the 2 ends rearward is bc when u connect the tow hooks the weight is off center and forces the target to slightly angle down which CMP recommends for target longevity.

It seems to be perfect. No matter where the bullet strikes the target is static moments later. I haven't hit super low on it yet but Ive kicked it and it doesn't swing much at all. The only issue is that it's sometimes hard to hear if u hit high on the target but once I got used to what a miss sounded like it became much easier to determine.

In the pics there is a nut missing that was holding it all together. I guess I need a lock washer or something.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Dirtyboy333/694563a2.jpg
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Dirtyboy333/b4a1bfb5.jpg
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Dirtyboy333/beedc050.jpg