PDA

View Full Version : Spike's Blem Lowers

Travis B
05-26-11, 16:26
Anyone had any experience with the blems? I was wondering how blemished they really are. AIM has them on sale for cheap right now: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSLBLEM&name=Spike%27s+Tactical+Lower+AR15+Receiver+%28Cosmetic+Blemish%29&groupid=6

And it doesn't have red lettering!

jwperry
05-26-11, 18:42
They used to sell them locally at the Orlando gun show.
Their engraving is shallower than normally, but the anodizing appears to be of equal quality to the normal spec ones. The pins always fit correctly and I never had a problem after assembling them. I still have 2 'blem' lowers and that is what all my local friends built their ARs on. No problems out of any of those lowers(when using DD or Palmetto State Armory parts kits, did have some problems with a different brand though..)

If you need a lower and don't mind the spider, go for it.

crusader377
05-26-11, 20:21
I just ordered on myself. This will be my second Spikes lower. My previous lower was a Gen 1 which had shallower engraving and was non-teflon coated. IMO the shallow engraved lowers are better because they are less money and prevent you from doing any form of stupid color fill.

fireblast713
05-26-11, 20:32
The non blem ones are like $15 more right? Is there any guarantee that it's just a cosmetic issue and not a functional one?

Fire_Medic
05-26-11, 20:34
The non blem ones are like $15 more right? Is there any guarantee that it's just a cosmetic issue and not a functional one?

On their website and locally (gun show) standard stripped lowers (non blem) are $99.......

crusader377
05-26-11, 20:50

Aim's website stated that they are fully function and may have minor cosmetic blemishes.

Toyoland66
05-26-11, 22:08
Just a little something to consider....

The surplus arms and ammo lower that aim carries is $60, $5 cheaper than the spikes blem lower.

They are the same lower with a different rollmark (aero precision is another)

In other words, you are paying for a name

bsmith_shoot
05-26-11, 23:25

The surplus arms and ammo lower that aim carries is $60, $5 cheaper than the spikes blem lower.

This is right. I got 2 Spikes lowers, 1 is SBR'd, and they have 5500 rnds, and 3500 rnds respectively. If the Surplus Arms is cheaper, get it. I got both my Spikes at the same time, for cheaper.

wahoo95
05-26-11, 23:28

LOL, yeah but the Spikes Lower will look so much better with the Spikes LW Middy Dissy I ordered ;)

bsmith_shoot
05-26-11, 23:41
LOL, yeah but the Spikes Lower will look so much better with the Spikes LW Middy Dissy I ordered ;)

I want pics when its done.

wahoo95
05-26-11, 23:47
Will do! Picked up the lower yesterday and the upper will arrive tomorrow. Expecting the LPK to arrive next week.

bsmith_shoot
05-26-11, 23:53
What LPK you using? How bout stock assembly? Give us some details? :)

wahoo95
05-26-11, 23:59
What LPK you using? How bout stock assembly? Give us some details? :)

- Spikes Lower
- PSA Lower Build Kit with MOE Grip and Stock
- Spikes LW Middy Dissy 16" Upper w/MOE Handguards
- LMT Rear Sight

Will have pics next week!

wahoo95
05-27-11, 16:52
I want pics when its done.

Mine arrived today....stuck it on a current lower for the photo op, however I'm waiting on the Lower Build Kit to come as I have a new Spikes stripped lower waiting.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/IMG_5622.jpg

bsmith_shoot
05-27-11, 20:00
Nice. Now im wantin one.

fireblast713
05-29-11, 00:44
bleh missed out on these, so the Surplus Arms & Ammo LOW15 Stripped AR Lower Receiver is the same lower with a different rollmark? Maybe I should just get that one $60 for a lower is cheap, building my dad his first AR :)

bsmith_shoot
05-29-11, 08:18
bleh missed out on these, so the Surplus Arms & Ammo LOW15 Stripped AR Lower Receiver is the same lower with a different rollmark? Maybe I should just get that one $60 for a lower is cheap, building my dad his first AR :)

Same manufacturer. Should be good to go.

markm
05-29-11, 08:42

:eek:

I never thought I'd hear someone say that about SPIKES! :jester:

djegators
05-29-11, 08:50

:sarcastic:

Fire_Medic
05-29-11, 10:14

This deserves to be quoted in a sig line...... :lol:

browneu
05-29-11, 12:25
I've purchased two surplus arms and ammo lowers and had no issues with anything out of spec. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

cobravenom39
05-29-11, 15:03

The Surplus arms lower doesn't have the free shipping, though. If you're buying a bunch, no biggie, but for 1 or two, the blems are a better deal.

The owner of Spike's has advised that they no longer use Aero to make their lowers.

fireblast713
05-29-11, 23:51
Blems are OOS, you're right about the free shipping :-( sadness, only buying like 2 lowers or something. I'll have to wait for another sale I guess.

geistacwm
05-30-11, 18:57
Bought a couple of the blanks they had a while back.

Very happy with em and they matched the MUR uppers I had for them very well.

crusader377
06-04-11, 16:36
Just got my Spikes in today. Great quality lower and machine work looks very good.. Could not find a single blemish on it.

Boss Hogg
06-04-11, 21:18

Yeah, that tends to happen when companies underestimate their competitors. It wasn't too long ago that most of their business revolved around ARs that shot 22LR ammo

Gunn-Fighter
06-05-11, 10:24
Spikes Blems are GTG