PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here a bit guys..

kwelz
05-26-11, 18:23
I hate these type of threads yet here I am creating one. When it comes down to it though I still don't have the experience to know what works best and what doesn't.

Here is my SBR. Just looking for any critique from you guys. While it is a bit heavy as configured I can't really complain about how it functions. I ran it through a class this last weekend except it was running a micro ACOG instead of the TR24 on it now.

Purpose of this gun is Training, HD and Trunk gun.

Barrel is 11.5 inch BCM Cold hammer forged barrel.
Can is a M4-1K. Everything else is how you see it.

http://web.me.com/kwelz/Pictures/sbrcomp.jpg

Stickman
05-26-11, 18:25
Its fine, it sounds like it serves your purpose, which is all that matters.

kaltesherz
05-26-11, 18:32
Uh, put it on "SAFE"?

No really, looks good to me. I don't like metal VG so I would've gone with a TD Stubbie...

...so... how do YOU like it?

El Pistolero
05-26-11, 18:33
Great looking rifle and it sounds like it does what you need it too. I wouldn't change anything unless you take more classes and find it to be lacking in some area

badness
05-26-11, 18:37
personally i'd ditch the tr24 and put a micro t1 on there and also ditch teh e-mod stock and put a ctr. But other than that, that rifle is sweet.

sapper36
05-26-11, 18:42
I ran it through a class this last weekend

I would say that this is much more important than the rifle. I would prefer to be in a fight with someone who had good training with crap gear over great gear with no idea of how to use. Seems you have both the goods.

kwelz
05-26-11, 19:03
Thanks guys. Except for the weight I am happy with the gun, and the balance is good enough that I don't notice the extra weight.

But there is always room for improvement. If you aren't growing you are dying and all that.

Belmont31R
05-26-11, 19:06
Does your sling twist around? DD makes a pretty lo pro rail mounted sling cup that is rotation limited.

Most of what I see is user preference so if it works for you then thats what matters.

kwelz
05-26-11, 19:09
Does your sling twist around? DD makes a pretty lo pro rail mounted sling cup that is rotation limited.

Most of what I see is user preference so if it works for you then thats what matters.

Nope that is a troy QD on the front and it is anti rotation. I could go for something a bit lower profile but am not sure what to use yet.

Fire_Medic
05-26-11, 19:20
You say it's heavy, (I'm assuming front heavy) so I would suggest a heavier stock to balance it out better. Other than that as has been stated already, it's about you and how it fits your needs. If everything went well then you're ahead of the game. The biggest issue I see with SBR's is people tuning them to run 100%, I am about to start building my own soon (1st one).

You took a class, it worked, now it's about getting familiar with YOUR gear, and making changes/adjustments to suit YOU.

For the sling mount, look into the VTAC low pro one, I'm running it on my rifle and I like it so far:

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_vtac_lpsm.html

Good looking boom stick brother!

superr.stu
05-26-11, 19:27
Kwelz,

After shooting your sbr this weekend, the only thing I didn't like on it was the micro acog (but that is personal preference). Yes there is a little weight on it, but wasn't like "oh eff me what did I just pick up?!?" It balanced well and shot well, I personally wouldn't change much on it.

kwelz
05-26-11, 19:32
Kwelz,

After shooting your sbr this weekend, the only thing I didn't like on it was the micro acog (but that is personal preference). Yes there is a little weight on it, but wasn't like "oh eff me what did I just pick up?!?" It balanced well and shot well, I personally wouldn't change much on it.

Yeah I like some of the Micro ACOGs. That one wasn't my favorite however. I actually traded it for the TR24 above. :) It doesn't really feel any heavier with the TR24 than it did with the ACOG but I am sure it is.

ra2bach
05-26-11, 20:55
I hate these type of threads yet here I am creating one. When it comes down to it though I still don't have the experience to know what works best and what doesn't.

Here is my SBR. Just looking for any critique from you guys. While it is a bit heavy as configured I can't really complain about how it functions. I ran it through a class this last weekend except it was running a micro ACOG instead of the TR24 on it now.

Purpose of this gun is Training, HD and Trunk gun.

Barrel is 11.5 inch BCM Cold hammer forged barrel.
Can is a M4-1K. Everything else is how you see it.

what is it you're asking?..

kwelz
05-26-11, 21:10
what is it you're asking?..

Tweaks, suggestions, observations.

jbo723
05-26-11, 21:29
personally i'd ditch the tr24 and put a micro t1 on there and also ditch teh e-mod stock and put a ctr. But other than that, that rifle is sweet.

This would be my only suggestions also. I originally had a SOPMOD on my 11.5" build and when I switched to the CTR, it made a slightly noticable difference in overall feel to me personally.

Dutchy556
05-26-11, 21:40
You say you don't have enough experience to know what works best and what doesn't, but I think maybe you're not giving yourself enough credit. You're already determined the mini ACOG wasn't working for you and have switched to the TR-24.

If you've just taken this class and nothing jumped out at you as glaringly deficient in some way I say soldier on until you decide there's something else you want to change.

You have a solid rifle there put together with good components (I'm assuming you've got a quality BCG in there though you don't mention it). If it were my rifle the only things I would change on it are just personal preferences, really - furniture and the optic. I have a T1 on my 11.5 and find it works best for my needs (If you have limited experience with RDS that may be something you might want to try) but if you like the 1-4 on there then more power to you.

chadbag
05-26-11, 21:55
What kind of railed fore end is it? The Troy TRX Extreme (troy or vtac version) would shave some weight off there.

98yellowstang
05-26-11, 21:59
looks great as is! maybe a red dot or something

kwelz
05-26-11, 22:03
What kind of railed fore end is it? The Troy TRX Extreme (troy or vtac version) would shave some weight off there.

It is a VLTOR VIS Monolithic upper.

chadbag
05-26-11, 22:04
It is a VLTOR VIS Monolithic upper.

never mind ;)

I saw the VLTOR bit on the "upper" but assumed it was an MUR-1A/S

kwelz
05-26-11, 22:12
never mind ;)

I saw the VLTOR bit on the "upper" but assumed it was an MUR-1A/S

Nope. I went all out on this one. I love the upper but it is a bit heavier than a standard upper and a DD or Troy rail.

Thanks for all the input guys. I may do some things here and there to shave some weight off but think I will keep it pretty much as is unless someone else comes in and tells me is sucks/ :ph34r: