PDA

View Full Version : some people.... el cheapo 1911 + .45GAP = ?

masakari
05-26-11, 21:59
So one of our Marines recently got into some legal trouble, and long story short had his weapon temporarily handed over while he lives in the barracks. Its a cheapo 3" 1911 made in the Phillippines by "American" Tactical something or other. When we looked at it, we noticed that the rounds didn't look right in the magazine; he had .45GAP loaded! after we told him he had the wrong ammunition, he explaimed "well that explains the jamming!"
aparrently it worked about half the time though. What a moron.

Just wanted to share this stupidity.

Guns-up.50
05-26-11, 23:36
First and formost semper fi. Was he a boot? That sounds like a boot **** up. I think, dont quote me but the .45 gap is shorter than the acp, if this is true than he is lucky it didnt fire out of battery causeing serious problems.:confused:

Guns-up.50
05-26-11, 23:38
First and formost semper fi. Was he a boot? That sounds like a boot **** up. I think, dont quote me but the .45 gap is shorter than the acp, if this is true than he is lucky it didnt fire out of battery causeing serious problems.:confused:

not out of battery sorry my misteak.

masakari
05-27-11, 05:59
Yut yut! Semper Fi
yes, he is infact a booty boot, so it does explain it... the things boots do! I want to write a book on it haha.

wetidlerjr
05-27-11, 06:12
So one of our Marines recently got into some legal trouble, and long story short had his weapon temporarily handed over while he lives in the barracks. Its a cheapo 3" 1911 made in the Phillippines by "American" Tactical something or other. When we looked at it, we noticed that the rounds didn't look right in the magazine; he had .45GAP loaded! after we told him he had the wrong ammunition, he explaimed "well that explains the jamming!"
aparrently it worked about half the time though. What a moron.
Just wanted to share this stupidity.

Thanks for sharing ! :D

5pins
05-27-11, 08:18
I sold this guy who was a, friend of a friend, a 9mm once. He takes it out shooting for the first time and can’t get it shoot more than one round off at a time. So he starts telling my friend that I ripped him off and sold him a piece of crap. Turns out this guy bought a box of .380 instead of 9mm. :jester:

CAVDOC
05-31-11, 16:12
these sorts of things happen from time to time- a simple case of not paying attention. I've seen someone put 30-30 winchester in a 303 british cal gun because they had a big grab bag of ammo and grabbed the wrong box of ammo.

The_War_Wagon
05-31-11, 17:36
Be SURE to post this at SOCNET (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)- those guys LOVE stuff like this! :D

Spiffums
05-31-11, 17:38
A guy I worked with and who works with Dad came up one Saturday. Had a 3rd gen Smith and a Sigma that they bought that morning. Everyone said the Sigma's would jam and they were thinking they got lemons when it was jammed up. They brought em to me and I got it unjammed. The problem.................

The ammo was 9mm Mav.

akviper
06-01-11, 22:00
While the end user bears final responsibility of what goes in the magazine, I once was at the gun section of a mega-retailer where the counter person was trying to sell a novice a box of 380s for her 9mm. The counter guy assured her they were the same but the 380 would recoil less. Normally I stay out of customer, salesman interactions but I felt obligated to interfere for her safety. If he is not a gun guy the marine probably thought all 45 ammo is the same.

masakari
06-02-11, 02:38
Then I guess my fault is... how I can't understand why someone wouldn't be a gun guy! :D haha
it gave me a chuckle though. Funny that it did fire a few rounds though!

halo2304
06-02-11, 03:24
I recall a story I read on another website about a rookie cop who bought a brand new XD9 (when they first came out.) He brought it to the range and the first five or six rounds didn't sound right. He stopped and he and the other people on the range examined the pistol. The guy was feeding 9mm through a .40S&W. :shout:

Whether the story is true or not, I definitely believe it has happened to more than one person. I don't recall if the guy bought it from a place like Cabela's or something but it sounds like a case of the sales person grabbing a "fresh" gun that was still in the box and neither the sales guy nor the customer checking to see if it was the right caliber.

A similar, personal experience: I ran to Walmart to pick up a bulk pack of 12ga. to try out 5-stand at my range. I knew they had 12ga. & 20ga. bulk packs intermixed :mad: but thought I made sure to grab a box of 12ga. I paid for it, drove to the range and just as I shut the car off, I look over at the box and notice the box says "20ga."

There were only two words I could say. "Mother" was one of them. Thankfully one of the other guys at the range swapped a couple of boxes with me. And in case anyone asks, Walmart does not accept returned ammo. Once you walk out the door, it's yours. I know this because a guy bought went to buy a box of .357 MAGNUM and walked out with a box of .357 SIG.

It all comes down to Situational Awareness! Pay attention! ;)

CAVDOC
06-02-11, 13:35
her's another one for you- back when my brother's pd was still carrying revolvers and they had to supply their own duty ammo (long time ago obviously!) most guys had 38 specials. Most smith and wessons have the caliber (.38 S&W Special) listed on the barrel. well one of the guys deleted the special part and asked a salesman for a box of 38 smith and wessons. That guy was carrying the ammo as spares in his gun belt for months(the last of his specials in the gun)until annual qualification and when he went to do his first reload from his duty belt said wow -why won't my ammo go in my gun?
could have cost him his life if he got into a fight.

Ironnewt
06-02-11, 14:15
I recall a story I read on another website about a rookie cop who bought a brand new XD9 (when they first came out.) He brought it to the range and the first five or six rounds didn't sound right. He stopped and he and the other people on the range examined the pistol. The guy was feeding 9mm through a .40S&W. :shout:

Whether the story is true or not, I definitely believe it has happened to more than one person. I don't recall if the guy bought it from a place like Cabela's or something but it sounds like a case of the sales person grabbing a "fresh" gun that was still in the box and neither the sales guy nor the customer checking to see if it was the right caliber.

A similar, personal experience: I ran to Walmart to pick up a bulk pack of 12ga. to try out 5-stand at my range. I knew they had 12ga. & 20ga. bulk packs intermixed :mad: but thought I made sure to grab a box of 12ga. I paid for it, drove to the range and just as I shut the car off, I look over at the box and notice the box says "20ga."

There were only two words I could say. "Mother" was one of them. Thankfully one of the other guys at the range swapped a couple of boxes with me. And in case anyone asks, Walmart does not accept returned ammo. Once you walk out the door, it's yours. I know this because a guy bought went to buy a box of .357 MAGNUM and walked out with a box of .357 SIG.

It all comes down to Situational Awareness! Pay attention! ;)

When my department converted from Glock 17's to Glock 22's it took a while. We had guys doing qualifications in 'mixed' classes and invariably someone would try to shoot a mixed mag of .40's and 9mm's in their Glock 22.