PDA

View Full Version : Now *this* is sexy

MilitaryArms
05-26-11, 22:10
http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-22KnLDp/0/L/i-22KnLDp-L.jpg

...a full review of the MR556 is coming. I just picked this baby up today from the local fun store and I can't wait to dig in.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-26-11, 22:17
I understand the specs say it is "heavy", comparably speaking. But, does it feel heavy or is it balanced well?

MilitaryArms
05-26-11, 22:20
It balances nicely, but it does feel heavier in the hand than a standard Colt M4. It's not barrel heavy like the ACR, it's just heavy in the mid-section. The entire thing is beefier than your standard AR. It feels like a solid chunk of metal, probably the nicest fit and finish I've ever seen on a production grade AR.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-26-11, 22:24
It balances nicely, but it does feel heavier in the hand than a standard Colt M4. It's not barrel heavy like the ACR, it's just heavy in the mid-section. The entire thing is beefier than your standard AR. It feels like a solid chunk of metal, probably the nicest fit and finish I've ever seen on a production grade AR.

Well, I look forward to your review! I wish they had gone with a better barrel, especially for the money, but I'm sure it will be a performer regardless. I'll be tuning in...

TonyTacoma
05-26-11, 23:02
Can't wait to see the review.

ucrt
05-26-11, 23:10

Don't you love it when "uber" arrogant German HK has to stoop to such a low level to have to build a US designed gun.

Sure looks like they did a fine job though!

OTO27
05-26-11, 23:33
Beautiful piece of engineering, but why not offer a thinner profile barrel? I dont mind extra weight if it trasnlates to stronger parts, but on a 556 barrel, that contour seems just overkill.

Iraqgunz
05-27-11, 00:06
In my opinion I think it's just another epic failure. I read that you need some type of tool to remove the take down pins? Really? Non lined barrel, and I can't remember the other shenanigans.

In any case they can keep it.

OldState
05-27-11, 00:29
Are the barrels stainless?

kaltesherz
05-27-11, 01:10
How can you afford all this stuff? You've only got 2 kidneys...

vecdran
05-27-11, 01:15
In my opinion I think it's just another epic failure. I read that you need some type of tool to remove the take down pins? Really? Non lined barrel, and I can't remember the other shenanigans.

It requires a hex wrench, which has a specific storage spot in the buttstock.

ares armor
05-27-11, 01:23
p-mags?

Nightvisionary
05-27-11, 02:40
If only HK would come out with a D.I. version, then I would be interested.:sad:

CRAMBONE
05-27-11, 03:24
I think I had read it would only take H&K mags, anybody got any other info on that?

Magic_Salad0892
05-27-11, 03:44
I think I had read it would only take H&K mags, anybody got any other info on that?

That would be retarded.

Though impossible, the HK SA-80 magazine has the same dimentions as a USGI magazine, I think.

Iraqgunz
05-27-11, 04:13
Correct. So if you are in the field let's say or whatever and you lose the wrench that you are ass out.

I am also not a big fan of that sliding buttstock pad or whatever. I really want to see one in person (I have shot and handled the 416) so I can dissect it and critique it.

It requires a hex wrench, which has a specific storage spot in the buttstock.

fhpchris
05-27-11, 04:18

To be fair, Lets quote G3K from hkpro, who actually worked for HK...

Chrome lining in most cases improves the wear and corrosion resistance of steel, in this case barrel rifling and chamber, which is why it is used. However it is not required IF the material used and the production process produces a wear and corrosion resistant surface without it. That is the case with HK GmbH produced cold hammer forged barrels made from the unique barrel steel employed by HK. In fact, chrome lining often has an adverse effect on accuracy if it it not applied uniformly, which is why it is often not used on "Match-grade" barrels. The HK CHF method provides a degree of wear and corrosion resistance =/> chrome lined bores and decades of evidence with HK barrels proves that. It is more than just the presence or absence of chrome in the bore that determines its performance. Example would be the M4 barrel. It is chrome lined but is also well known to have a service life of under 10,000 rounds (before it exceeds the accuracy requirements of 5" at 100 yards w/ M855 ammo). There are countless examples where non-chrome HK barrels have exceeded 25,000, 40,000 and even 100,002 rounds in the case of the HK MG4 fired in Yuma during desert testing. Or the single HK416 10" fired in the first lot acceptance test that fired 15,000 rounds in 2 days and still fired sub-1 MOA groups at 100 meters (and again at 20,000 rounds, and 25,000 rounds).

http://www.hkpro.com/mg43pile.jpg

The IAR is chromed because it was a requirement. To be fair the MR556 is not a light weight, but the numbers put it on par to a Milled AK variant, so that is not overly heavy. I do not think everyone over here needs to just needlessly bash the rifle here. There is nothing wrong with claiming the rifle is not exactly what you want, but a good reliable option without calling it a piece of shit. Find me a colt M4 barrel that shoots sub MOA at 25,000 rounds..... Good luck!

-Chris

Iraqgunz
05-27-11, 04:40
For what they are asking for it, do you know how many spare Colt barrels or similar I could get? The lining isn't really a non-starter. It's everything they else to effectively make it a non-416 that I have an issue with. But, I am sure that someone will buy it.

To be fair, Lets quote G3K from hkpro, who actually worked for HK...

http://www.hkpro.com/mg43pile.jpg

The IAR is chromed because it was a requirement. To be fair the MR556 is not a light weight, but the numbers put it on par to a Milled AK variant, so that is not overly heavy. I do not think everyone over here needs to just needlessly bash the rifle here. There is nothing wrong with claiming the rifle is not exactly what you want, but a good reliable option without calling it a piece of shit. Find me a colt M4 barrel that shoots sub MOA at 25,000 rounds..... Good luck!

-Chris

El Pistolero
05-27-11, 05:01
If this civilian version of the HK416 is so heavy, I wonder how much of a porker the 7.62mm model will be if they ever release it.

fhpchris
05-27-11, 05:22
For what they are asking for it, do you know how many spare Colt barrels or similar I could get? The lining isn't really a non-starter. It's everything they else to effectively make it a non-416 that I have an issue with. But, I am sure that someone will buy it.

I thought you had experience with the 416 and did not really like the 416 much anyway?

I agree with you its too expensive. Hell, I will probably get a mk18 clone myself with all honesty. I think 4000$ for a 416 upper is just crazy.:bad:

Iraqgunz
05-27-11, 05:41
I don't believe I said that. As a matter of fact I said it wa one of the few I did like based on my little time with it.

I thought you had experience with the 416 and did not really like the 416 much anyway?

I agree with you its too expensive. Hell, I will probably get a mk18 clone myself with all honesty. I think 4000$ for a 416 upper is just crazy.:bad:

fhpchris
05-27-11, 06:05
I don't believe I said that. As a matter of fact I said it wa one of the few I did like based on my little time with it.

I apologize then, I must be thinking of someone else. Either way, I can't wait for the review on youtube :)

-Chris

montrala
05-27-11, 06:33
Barrel is not stainless, but there are several other, modern (stainless steel was invented in 1913) steel alloys that are corrosion resistant while are much harder and more abrasion resistant than stainless steel. An much more expensive... HK uses such alloy, there are rumours (some friend who was at HK plant heard that someone said - you know the drill) that Rheinmetall uses same alloy for their cannon barrels. Anyway, real life shows that HK barrels are more than good.

Buttstock pad sits tight. It is not "sliding off", it requires very positive twisting motion to be removed. And those pins can be replaced for standard ones for tool-less field strip. HK put those, to take out all play between receivers (they market it as "Match Rifle").

Magazines: any STANAG 4179 dimension spec mag will work with HK lower. As to Magpul: P-Mag 30 need to be modified to work (grinding a little from front shelf is required. P-Mag 20 works, but might need slight sanding front and rear to drop free. E-mag works with HK and seem to be best mag to use with. Beta/Korean double drums need to have SAW tower to work with HK lower, Armatac is compatible.

7.62 variant will for sure be even heavier. European MR308 with 16.5" barrel weight (empty) is 4.37kg versus 3.7kg for MR223 with 16.5".

sapper36
05-27-11, 06:40
I really dont see what the big deal is? I would take another DD or LMT before that. I guess living in Germany for so long the HK thing is not impressive??

RAM Engineer
05-27-11, 07:22
...a full review of the MR556 is coming. I just picked this baby up today from the local fun store and I can't wait to dig in.

I've never seen an inanimate, non-human, non-female object that I would term "sexy". To each is own I guess...

An Undocumented Worker
05-27-11, 07:24
I really dont see what the big deal is? I would take another DD or LMT before that. I guess living in Germany for so long the HK thing is not impressive??

I second this opinion, I just got a DD upper and shot a sub moa 10 shot group with it yesterday, using BH 77grn reloads, chrome lining and all. I'll be keeping that one.

Then there's my experience working on german cars, Lets just say I don't like german engineers all that much.:jester:

Shiz
05-27-11, 08:13
I really want to be a fan of this rifle, but i can't yet. Not when there are no real reasons to buy it other than the HK name.

Thanks Sturm

I am looking forward to the review. Maybe it will start to change my mind.

OldState
05-27-11, 08:44
I really want to be a fan of this rifle, but i can't yet. Not when there are no real reasons to buy it other than the HK name.

Thanks Sturm

I am looking forward to the review. Maybe it will start to change my mind.

Well it is the closest thing to the gun that killed UBL right?:sarcastic:

Shiz
05-27-11, 10:35
Well it is the closest thing to the gun that killed UBL right?

LOL

I thought he was killed by sling shots and harsh language.

Although I hear HK perfected the sling shot too. (painted it, put a piston on) Now you can have an HK ex-slingshot, now known as "marble launcher", for only $749.00.

E-man930
05-27-11, 15:06
Take a look at what people did to the SL-8 to make them into G36 clones.. I would only buy this rifle if I could first aquire a 10.4" 416 upper, then buy the MR556 and SBR the lower. Tada - unclustered... Although, this is not as bad as expected, remember the earlier plans to move the pins? Could have been much worse looking at their previous "sporting" offerings for the US market.

OldState
05-27-11, 15:06
I haven't seen any H&K marketing towards this which is a class move. I did catch a couple local news clips on Youtube about gun stores selling out of Sig's when the rumor was that was the UBL gun. Suckers!

Wait a minute...piston AR's and Sig's...the SEAL's sure pick crappy weapons ;)