PDA

View Full Version : Ruger's New 25-Round 10-22 Magazine

ucrt
05-26-11, 22:38

FYI

You may have seen the ads but Ruger, finally after 47-years, came out with a Factory 25-Round Magazine (BX-25) for their 10-22.
I saw a dealer (a friend) with a few of them at a gun show last weekend and he was getting $25 for them.

Some guy came by his table and was chapped when he saw my buddy's mags for $25 because he said he paid $40 the week before.
My buddy said he thought the mags will probably level off around $20 when they start getting out.

Just didn't want anyone to get gouged...

I've never tried the 25-round mags because I always heard they failed.

Has anyone tried this new Ruger mag yet?

Don Robison
05-27-11, 00:11
I haven't tried them yet, but one of my training partners got two this week and said they actually work as they should.

Confed-rifleman
05-29-11, 22:06
Just picked one up yesterday to try. I'm hearing the same thing from others (they work). Another bonus, unlike other 10/22 mags these are designed to be taken apart & cleaned by the user and include instructions on how to do so.

This would have never happened if Bill Ruger was still alive. Bill Ruger did not believe there was any reason for civilians to own magazines with a capacity beyond 15 rounds. He did support the Clinton-era magazine ban but thought it should be 15 not 10, exempting all Ruger factory mags intended for civilian sale.

ucrt
05-29-11, 22:52
Just picked one up yesterday to try. I'm hearing the same thing from others (they work). Another bonus, unlike other 10/22 mags these are designed to be taken apart & cleaned by the user and include instructions on how to do so.

This would have never happened if Bill Ruger was still alive. Bill Ruger did not believe there was any reason for civilians to own magazines with a capacity beyond 15 rounds. He did support the Clinton-era magazine ban but thought it should be 15 not 10, exempting all Ruger factory mags intended for civilian sale.

=====================================

There is a lot that has happened at Ruger in the last few years that probably has him doing backflips in the grave...

carbinero
05-30-11, 00:08
If I could buy these for $25, I'd be snatching them up pronto. I think the "level off at $20" is a pipe dream. The market has been longing for for these with a deep dark longing usually confined to drug store romances, and they will sell by the quadrillions at anything shy of $40.

Avenger29
05-30-11, 01:14
I've never tried the 25-round mags because I always heard they failed.

I've had very few problems with the el cheapo Butler Creek Hotlips 25rd mags (I've got a bunch of them and the Butler Creek crank loader, which is awesome)

These Ruger mags look quite similar to the Tactical Innovation's polymer models (including the ability to be taken apart).

I'm glad Ruger has seen the light and producing one of the first accessories many 10/22 owners seek from aftermarket sources.

Suwannee Tim
05-30-11, 05:25

Instructions included on dis-assembly and assembly? Hard to believe we have come to that.;)

maximus83
05-30-11, 14:09
Agree the 25rd mags sound interesting.

Prior to these coming out, for some years a lot of 10-22 users have liked the Tactical Innovations hi-cap mags for their quality and reliability. I'm in that camp as well. They have both machined aluminum mags (these are quite expensive--but good), and then a polymer version which still has the adjustable steel lips. These sell for around $35. I've had such good success with an estimated 5K rounds through the hi-cap polymer TI mags, that I'll probably stick with these until or unless I hear a large accumulated set of great feedback on the Ruger mags.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/mags-loaders-c-616.html?infoBox=1&osCsid=d7a6605akorncmeoh9e5ghig52

LonghunterCO
05-30-11, 18:28
While on vacation I happend into a shop back east that had these mags ($26/per). I picked up two, but was unable to try them until I got home. I ran over to the range this afternoon and put a 100 rounds through both of them without any issues. I am very pleased. My experience with hi-cap mags (Butler creeks steel lip and non) is that they run fairly well until they start loading up with bullet wax/fouling/crud and then there reliability starts rapidly going down hill (I have no experience with the TacSol mags). I am glad that Ruger made these to take-a-part. With my limited experience they seem good to go.

Jake'sDad
07-05-11, 01:57
I have two, with about 1500 rounds through them with no malfunctions.

Jake'sDad
07-05-11, 02:09
Bill Ruger did not believe there was any reason for civilians to own magazines with a capacity beyond 15 rounds.

No.

He believed that if he embraced the idea of a magazine limit, they would leave his guns alone in regards to the "assault weapons" bans that were gaining momentum at the time.

In California, the detachable magazine Mini 14 is still legal for sale, while AR15's, HK93's, and other virtually identical functioning guns are not, so he wasn't completely wrong.

Bill Ruger may have been self serving when it came to protecting his company's products, but attempts to spin him as somehow personally "anti gun" are off base.

msigette
07-05-11, 12:40
Unfortunatly I spent 30 bucks on mine but it is well worth the money.

M2AP
07-26-11, 07:54
I have 2 of the Ruger mags on the way from 44mag. When I go on vacation in a few days we will give them a good workout.
I'd never heard of the Tactical Innovations mags and may try those as well.
The ability to disassemble for cleaning is great. I have a bunch of gunked up Butler Creek mags that I'd might as well pitch. As you know bulk ammo is bigtime dirty.

Straight Shooter
07-26-11, 13:44
I think I JUST saw these mags on sale at CDNN for $19.99, sale ended yesterday at noon, iirc.
My favorite gunshop for years has had a box full of clear, 25rnd mags
at the checkout counter for $9.99. They even attach to each other for a total of 50 rnds. I have about 10 or so,and they are 100% reliable in both my rifles.
Personally, the Ruger mags dont excite me too much because of these mags I already own.
UPDATE: I just checked the CDNN site, and these Ruger mags are on sale now for $22.95, limit two.

LonghunterCO
07-26-11, 19:19
[QUOTE=Straight Shooter;1057236]Personally, the Ruger mags dont excite me too much because of these mags I already own.
QUOTE]

The clear ones often work for a while but, over time, fill up with carbon and wax from the .22lr rounds. At that point they seem to start hickuping until they eventually start having multiple problems for each mag loading. The Ruger's can be taken apart and cleaned/serviced. For those of us that shoot a lot of .22, there in lies the appeal.

snackgunner
07-26-11, 19:34
UPDATE: I just checked the CDNN site, and these Ruger mags are on sale now for $22.95, limit two.

thats a good price, too bad theres the $8 shipping on top of it though, otherwise I would have just gotten a mag.

Straight Shooter
07-26-11, 19:39
I know some brands do clog up. and dont last long.
I looked at mine awhile ago, Shooters Choice is the brand.
The two I use out of my stash have held up nicely tho.
As an aside, I ve got 4 of the 10rnd box mags that are over
4 decades old apiece, have had tens upon tens upon tens of thousands of rounds ran thru them, and I have cleaned them a few
times thru the years. They were a brilliant design, imo.
I like the Shooters Choice mags, they can be "jungle clipped" together.

ucrt
07-26-11, 22:43

MidwayUSA is putting the Ruger BX-25 on sale for a month for $21.99. LINK (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=238525&rfx_spread=0&rfx_page=0&rfx_pageid=1&rfx_passback=utm_source=Aug_11_Flyer&utm_medium=URL&rfx_catalogname=Aug_11_Flyer&rfx_catalog=1&rfx_omni=1&rfx_OmniPageName=p1&rfx_OmniCatalogName=Aug_11_Flyer&rfx_OmniClientID=UA-15072725-5)

DemonRat
07-28-11, 06:56
Since Ruger has come out with these. I wonder if the "others" will come down in price to get back the market share that will be going to Ruger's mag now. I for one plan on getting at least 3 of these for my Ruger. I was planning on getting the TI's but heck the cheapest I have found them for was 34 bucks not sure i want to spend that kind of money on a lead thrower. If my Ruger was not stock and i shot it more then I do know maybe. But I am getting the rugers instead. Plus I can paint them to match my Rugers new color scheme.

carbinero
07-28-11, 09:53
thats a good price, too bad theres the $8 shipping on top of it though, otherwise I would have just gotten a mag.

funny you should complain of this. Midway charges $5, but then adds on another $3 for an "under $25" order. Not THAT big a deal, when you are trying out something of this nature, ya think?

ETA: HA! Once I went to process Midway, S&H jumped to $9+, PLUS the $3. So $8 is a Good Deal in comparison. Just ordered from CDNN :)

snackgunner
07-28-11, 10:11
funny you should complain of this. Midway charges $5, but then adds on another $3 for an "under $25" order. Not THAT big a deal, when you are trying out something of this nature, ya think?

Complaining?

I stated if there wasnt $8 shipping on top of the $22.95 price tag, I would have picked one up.

Youre the only one making a big fuss.

But funny you're making a fuss, when you yourself said earlier in this thread "If I could buy these for $25, I'd be snatching them up pronto." And I agree. When I find these mags at a shop or show for $25 Ill pick one up to try out.

carbinero
07-28-11, 10:13
See my ETA, friend. midway is even more than originally expected. If you see the value of these, overall it's still a good deal. Just sayin.

CDNN confirmation: $30.98. Not much more than $25 plus tax, and I don't have to leave the house :)

Vegas
08-07-11, 01:12
Everyone I have talked in person that bought these have been 100% satisfied thus far. I am waiting for my local store to get some in myself.

AmericanGunWorks
08-07-11, 01:39
I bought one out of curiosity. They have run 100% so far, my only complaint is they dont snap together like butler creek ones.

DemonRat
08-23-11, 18:39
I just picked one up at Cabela's in Lacey, WA a few days ago. I will be trying it out this Saturday. From what has already been said about them I know I will want another one. The local shop has them for 35 bucks. Cabela's had them for 30. When I can I will get another one and be getting rid of my butler creek ones as they are starting to double feed rounds from being so dirty. I have been told to use non-chlorinated brake cleaner on them to clean them up and then spray with WD-40 or other light lube. I haven't tried that yet but I might try it as I only have 4 mags for my Ruger now. 2 10 rnd and now 2 25 rnd mags. My wife really likes the Ruger over the Inter-arms ATD (Chinese Browning copy) we have. It's easier to load for one. But I like that the ATD can be a back pack .22 just by taking the barrel off and is somewhat accurate but not as accurate as the Ruger.

SE Flyer
09-15-11, 01:11
Which speed loader works best with these magazines?

carbinero
09-15-11, 11:13
Put mine through the paces and zero failures, which is better than I can say for the 10-rounder which came standard. Only several hundred down the pipe so far, so hopefully the 10 stops failing soon...but yeah, I'm getting more 25s ;)

Eurodriver
09-15-11, 11:31
I have four BX25s.

I have shot all four through two separate 10/22s, at least five or six full loads through each mag through each weapon and I have not had a single failure of any kind.

turdbocharged
09-15-11, 14:43
The lack of quality mags is what made me sell my 10/22 years ago. Also I was never as fond of it as most people are. Perhaps this mag would have prevented me from doing that. Good thing I only have to go to my father in laws to try out the new mags in my old gun!

USAFCATM
09-15-11, 21:27
No.

He believed that if he embraced the idea of a magazine limit, they would leave his guns alone in regards to the "assault weapons" bans that were gaining momentum at the time.

In California, the detachable magazine Mini 14 is still legal for sale, while AR15's, HK93's, and other virtually identical functioning guns are not, so he wasn't completely wrong.

Bill Ruger may have been self serving when it came to protecting his company's products, but attempts to spin him as somehow personally "anti gun" are off base.

Uh, yes he did and he even wrote a letter to congress to that effect! You may feel warm and fuzzy thinking of "ban-'em-Bill" as an astute businessman that seen the writing on the wall and aligned himself into a position that would benefit himself and his company. The picture of Bill Ruger Sr. in my mind is more akin to Judas, Brutus, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Senator Murtha, all quislings and traitors that are willing to sell out their own for their own personal advances! It was for this very reason I never bought a new Ruger between the time he sold out to the time his soul was sent to the 9th level of hell for his treason! However, these days I have no problems buying a Ruger ever since Bill assumed room temperature. :)
Getting back on topic though, I bought a couple of their new magazines and I love them. Very well built, you can take them apart for cleaning and I have found them to be every bit as reliable as the 10 round rotary magazines. I got mine from a gun store in Georgia on the way back from Macon for $20 but around here in Florida, they have been running around $30 but I still may buy a couple more of them because they are that good!:)

Univibe
10-27-11, 20:33
CDNN had a sale last week, ten bucks for the 10 round factory, 20 for the BX-25. I bought 3 of each for the new 10/22, haven't shot them yet. I hope mine are reliable as everyone says.

Note: The ONLY reliable mag for the Mini-14 is the Ruger Factory twenty round. The factory thirties are hit or miss . . . I had six, only one worked; I sent the other five back and traded for twenties. Problem solved!

Eurodriver
10-28-11, 04:28
CDNN had a sale last week, ten bucks for the 10 round factory, 20 for the BX-25. I bought 3 of each for the new 10/22, haven't shot them yet. I hope mine are reliable as everyone says.

Note: The ONLY reliable mag for the Mini-14 is the Ruger Factory twenty round. The factory thirties are hit or miss . . . I had six, only one worked; I sent the other five back and traded for twenties. Problem solved!

I will never buy a 10rd mag for the 10/22 again, and I only have one.

The BX25s work that well. I have 4, with about 10 full mags through each one and not a single failure. Thats actually better than what my 10rd mag would do! (One Failure to Eject about every 300 rounds)

DemonRat
11-08-11, 02:49
OK so since my last post about this mag I have bought 4 more and I have put 7 boxs of Remington 525 rnd box thru these mags and haven't cleaned them yet and no ff or fe or stovepiping or anything man I like these mags. YOU ALL SHOULD BUY THESE FOR YOUR RUGER. Now if they would come out with a 100 rnd drum that would be real fun.

ucrt
11-21-11, 22:14

Ruger 25-rounds 10-22 mags on sale tomorrow at MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/general.mvc/index/blackfridayweek?cm_cat=Other&cm_ite=MainImage&cm_lm=sp:rnwestover@yahoo.com&cm_ven=Spop-Email&cm_pla=Other_BF2011_day1_1&CustNum=84093038) for $17.99 each.

Buckaroo
11-22-11, 10:20

Ruger 25-rounds 10-22 mags on sale tomorrow at MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/general.mvc/index/blackfridayweek?cm_cat=Other&cm_ite=MainImage&cm_lm=sp:rnwestover@yahoo.com&cm_ven=Spop-Email&cm_pla=Other_BF2011_day1_1&CustNum=84093038) for $17.99 each.

Limited me to three (due to demand) but still a good deal.

NCPatrolAR
11-22-11, 11:34
I've had some come through my carbine courses and there hasnt been any issues with them. I have 4 with only 1k rounds through them with 0 problems as well.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/DefConNC/Oct%202011%20Carbine/DSC01424.jpg

Hmac
11-22-11, 12:30
I have a couple of BX 25's that I use with my 10/22 Target Tactical. They work well and I've not had any malfunctions or misfeeds to speak of. The only problem I've had has been occasional difficulty getting a Butler Creek loader to work consistently smoothly.

deolexrex
11-22-11, 12:49
I picked up a couple of the BX25's to test them on my 10/22's.

After feeding them several bricks of various ammo... no problems!

Icedaddy56
11-22-11, 13:35
Bought one a few weeks ago. Ran 100 quick rounds of CCI Mini Mags through it. Not one hiccup. Easy to load too. Constant force spring. Just ordered the limit from MidwayUsa. Total with shipping to my door was $63.00 :D

Bigun
11-29-11, 01:23
I bought 2 for $22 apiece at the local gun show last friday, first impression was they made these to last and after putting about a thousand rounds through them this weekend I'm sold. They fit and function perfectly without a cheap feel. What more can you ask?